[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2 gored, 5 others injured at running of the bulls in Pamplona

buddahj

PAMPLONA, Spain – Two people were gored Thursday during a tense and dangerous second running of the bulls at Spain's famed San Fermin fiesta, and at least five other people were hospitalized after falling or being trampled by the hulking beasts, officials said.

Thousands took part in the dash to keep ahead of six fighting bulls and six bell-tinkling steers tasked with keeping the beasts together along the 930-yard (850-meter) course from a holding pen to the northern town's bullring.

The run lasted just under four minutes and produced panic when some bulls separated from the pack. One stopped just before entering the bullring and paced in circles threateningly while staring at the runners.

Television images showed the first runner being gored in the chest and hurled like a rag doll to the cobblestones of one of the narrow streets where the bull run takes place in Pamplona's historical old quarter. He remained on the ground dazed until he was taken away by rescue workers.

One man sustained serious injuries after being gored in the thorax, while a second man was gored in the left leg but was in better condition, said Fernando Boneta, a doctor at Navarra Hospital.

The more seriously injured man was a 22-year-old Spaniard, while the other goring victim was a 43-year old man from Dublin, authorities said. The men were identified only by their initials.

Five more people were hospitalized in Pamplona for less serious injuries, mostly broken bones and bruises sustained in falls as they ran, though the images clearly showed other people being trampled. They included a 49-year-old American, a 33-year-old Israeli and three Spaniards, the Navarra regional government said.

Thursday's gorings were the first for the series of eight bull runs held during the nine-day street festival that also features around-the-clock drinking that attracts tens of thousands of Spaniards and foreigners.

Cody Harrington, 22, was amazed at the size of the 1,100-pound (500-kilogram) bulls as he ran alongside them for the first time.

"They were about up to my shoulders, and it was intense," the university student from Lake Tahoe, California said. "Once I saw them running right next to me I got to the side and it was shocking how big they were."

His 62-year-old father ran as well.

"It was a rush, definitely an adrenaline rush, the street is so narrow, you're right next to them and then they're gone like a shooting star," said Jack Harrington, a dentist on a tour of Europe with his wife, son and two daughters.

An 18-year-old Australian who sustained three fractured vertebrae in the first race Wednesday remained hospitalized Thursday in serious condition, according to the El Diario de Navarra newspaper.

He was identified by the newspaper as Nicholas Ward of Melbourne, and the young man's father, Howard, told the newspaper his son was expected to remain hospitalized for two weeks.

An American was also injured Wednesday in another event during the San Fermin party in which calves are released into a bullring to be taunted by young men.

The unidentified 22-year-old man sustained a ripped scrotum from a horn injury, El Diario de Navarra said. He received a stitch at the bullring from emergency workers and was hospitalized, according to the newspaper, which did not list his hometown.

While gorings from the adult bulls with their huge horns are more likely to be fatal or cause serious injuries, the calves are also dangerous because they are more frisky, moving around the ring rapidly.

A spokeswoman for the hospital where the Australian and the American were taken said Thursday that no one was immediately available to provide an update on their conditions or more details.

The runs are broadcast live on Spanish television and the bulls that run each morning are killed in the evening in the bullring, their meat served up in Pamplona's restaurants.

Dozens of people are injured in the runs each year. Gorings produce the most dramatic injuries and generate extensive comment and analysis in Spain's media, though most runners who end up hurt fall or are trampled. Last year's festival saw the first fatal goring in nearly 15 years.

___

Associated Press writer Ciaran Giles contributed to this report from Madrid.

You get what you deserve. :wacko:

The unidentified 22-year-old man sustained a ripped scrotum from a horn injury, El Diario de Navarra said. He received a stitch at the bullring from emergency workers and was hospitalized, according to the newspaper, which did not list his hometown.

:wacko:

The potential piercing of the applebag is enough to remove it from bucket list contention for me. Should wear a cup and a kevlar vest.

:wacko:

No desire to intentionally place myself in a position where I have to run for my life from a wild animal whose primary intention appears to be to kill me.

What does Detroit have to do with this? Or is it Chicago?

I dunno, it might be fun if you have a dangerous game rifle in your hands. :wacko:

My understanding of 'running with the bulls' is that the individuals do not have weapons. As such, I stand by my original post. All the excitement I require in my life is safely navigating the minefield imposed by my wife during her monthly 'time.'

My understanding of 'running with the bulls' is that the individuals do not have weapons. As such, I stand by my original post. All the excitement I require in my life is safely navigating the minefield imposed by my wife during her monthly 'time.'

I was thinking of a safari in Africa. That being said, I'll take the bull over the "monthly time"... :wacko:

I was thinking of a safari in Africa.

Why? It's completely beyond me why anyone would want to travel halfway across the world to kill a wild animal. And then have the f'n balls to call it "hunting". Flat cowardice, IMO.

Why? It's completely beyond me why anyone would want to travel halfway across the world to kill a wild animal. And then have the f'n balls to call it "hunting". Flat cowardice, IMO.

:wacko:Maybe because it is hunting - at least could be. I'm not a fan of game preserves where fair chase does not take place, but there is plenty of real hunting in Africa.

:wacko:Maybe because it is hunting - at least could be. I'm not a fan of game preserves where fair chase does not take place, but there is plenty of real hunting in Africa.

Hunting my ass. Any buffoon can bring down a wild animal with a rifle.

Hunting my ass. Any buffoon can bring down a wild animal with a rifle.

+1

It's like deer hunters....hell, just come sit on mah porch and watch the deer come out to graze at sunset. No skill whatsoever to kill them. You have a high-powered rifle and they'd just stare at you from they perceive to be a safe distance. What a joke.