[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Prime Rib Roast

Jimmy Neutron

So I've got two beautiful 20 lb. rib roasts impregnated with garlic cloves, rubbed down with a simple rub and fresh rosemary.

Now what the hell do I do with them? :wacko:

Cooking them for an employee appreciatiomn lunch tomorow - it would be best if I don't screw them up too badly. :tup:

I have a gas grill or the Egg. Thinking quick sear and indirect heat on the Egg with a little mild smoke. Is that off base?

TIA

• 2 weeks later...

Alton Brown says to slow cook for a few hours at 250, then when the internal temp gets "close" to your desired temp, take it out to rest while the oven is heating up to 400. Then put it back in for 10-15 minutes to build the crust. It's science and works. Use it all the time now. Very evenly cooked meat all the way through - not the one or two inch center that many get with early high heat.

Edited by Jimmy_22

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just cooked one tonight on the Egg for my mom's birthday. I got the recipe from the BIg Green Egg cookbook I found online. Rubbed it with paprika, tenderizer and crushed garlic. Then made a paste of kosher salt, flour, egg white and water, and rubbed it over the whole roast. Put it on the Egg on a rib rack over indirect heat at about 500 degrees for about 15 minutes per pound. After taking it off, you crack the salt crust off before slicing. I've done it this way three or four times and each time it is awesome.

Edit: Never done a 20-pounder, though. :wacko:

Edited by montster