[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brandon Tate #1 if Moss goes?

michaelman

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They wouldn't have made this trade if they didn't think they could make it work the way the roster is right now.

Says who? As far as we know, this is only the first shoe to drop.

Do you seriously think the Pats braintrust made this trade HOPING they could snag Vjax from a team they may face in the playoffs? A team with an owner that is nearly impossible to negotiate with? Seems pretty far-fetched. Not saying it couldn't happen, but just seems unlikely to me.

Not far-fetched at all. The Pats have both the NEED and the CURRENCY (i.e. whatever combo of draft picks one can dream up) to make this deal happen. It seems very likely to me that a VJAX deal is going to happen.

So if they don't activate him, do we surmise that the Pats are making a play for another WR, maybe even V-Jax?

Julian Edelman is currently ahead of Price in terms of depth. He is a converted QB, that is more styled for a welker type role. Price however could charge the hill of WR's there and battle Tate for the top spot. You can get price for nothing, let others battle it out for Tate :wacko:

Edited by theeohiostate

Not far-fetched at all. The Pats have both the NEED and the CURRENCY (i.e. whatever combo of draft picks one can dream up) to make this deal happen. It seems very likely to me that a VJAX deal is going to happen.

I honestly have to agree. They need a super star receiver and a deep receiver. Remember, Tate was drafted as a replacement for Welker and to fill that slot role. Not as the deep threat.

I honestly have to agree. They need a super star receiver and a deep receiver. Remember, Tate was drafted as a replacement for Welker and to fill that slot role. Not as the deep threat.

:wacko:

Hernedez is the guy that gets a HUGE bump in value in this deal. He is already emerging as a go to guy for Brady, this makes his value skyrocket.

Ds will actually cover him now. If they're smart, they'll focus on taking away the middle/underneath routes and let the Pats try to beat them deep with Tate.

Why do they need a deep receiver? They had neither before Moss showed up and they still put up plenty of points. Their weapons now are still much better than they were in 2006 - I have no worries about Brady's ability to find the open man.

:wacko:

Where does this information come from?

It comes from analysis when he was drafted and the discussions after Welkers injury last year. Some speculated that Welker would never come back as the same man he was before the injury and there were ample discussion how Tate would be a solid fit on the slot if or when Welker could no longer be effective.

It comes from analysis when he was drafted and the discussions after Welkers injury last year. Some speculated that Welker would never come back as the same man he was before the injury and there were ample discussion how Tate would be a solid fit on the slot if or when Welker could no longer be effective.

Because some innernet GM wannabees said so does not make it so. Tate was the #1 WR over Hakeem Nicks in College before the knee injury. He's a flanker, not a slot guy.

It is just amazing to me how many people feel they have the inate ability to crawl inside the murky head of A.J. Smith, and decipher the intelligible code that is the Patriots. It is nice to sit around and try to guess what these people are thinking, but none of us really have a clue.

I have Vjax on my dynasty roster, and I have more reason than most to root for a trade to the Pats. I just doubt that it happens.

Edited by rattsass

It is just amazing to me how many people feel they have the inate ability to crawl inside the murky head of A.J. Smith, and decipher the intelligible code that is the Patriots. It is nice to sit around and try to guess what these people are thinking, but none of us really have a clue.

I have Vjax both on my dynasty roster, and I have more reason than most to root for a trade to the Pats. I just doubt that it happens.

I was saying that none of us know what's going to happen. But is also is pretty obvious that all the ducks are in a row for something to happen. For this reason, I believe a deal is more likely than not likely.

I was saying that none of us know what's going to happen. But is also is pretty obvious that all the ducks are in a row for something to happen. For this reason, I believe a deal is more likely than not likely.

8 picks in the first 4 rounds next season . . . that's a huge surplus to deal from.

Okay people. The Pats have the means and the need. We know that. But there is only one man that can make this happen and that is A.J. Smith.

I think it is pretty clear that this guy is a stubborn control freak and spiteful egomaniac. Can we agree on that?

What is the benefit for him for making this deal? Yeah, he may finally get the price he is asking in the form of Patriots excess draft pick. But then he has to face the prospect of turning VJax into a bigger star with Brady tossing him the rock. And as Vjax becomes a huge star, AJ looks foolish for letting him go. Also, Vjax could come back to haunt the Chargers in the playoffs.

A.J. Smith is all about AJ. This move has the potential to make him look really really foolish. (yes, even more foolish than he looks right now)

I'm thinking he won't be a player at any price. He obviously wants Vjax to suffer for his sins, and sending him off to New England to be Brady's chucking buddy and win a Superbowl probably seems unappealing to such a petty tyrant.

Okay people. The Pats have the means and the need. We know that. But there is only one man that can make this happen and that is A.J. Smith.

I think it is pretty clear that this guy is a stubborn control freak and spiteful egomaniac. Can we agree on that?

What is the benefit for him for making this deal? Yeah, he may finally get the price he is asking in the form of Patriots excess draft pick. But then he has to face the prospect of turning VJax into a bigger star with Brady tossing him the rock. And as Vjax becomes a huge star, AJ looks foolish for letting him go. Also, Vjax could come back to haunt the Chargers in the playoffs.

A.J. Smith is all about AJ. This move has the potential to make him look really really foolish. (yes, even more foolish than he looks right now)

I'm thinking he won't be a player at any price. He obviously wants Vjax to suffer for his sins, and sending him off to New England to be Brady's chucking buddy and win a Superbowl probably seems unappealing to such a petty tyrant.

Who's getting inside GM's heads now? :wacko:

The one thing the Pats have here that no other team does (in addition to the nice set of draft picks) is Logan Mankins. SD run game needs a little help, and a bad ass pro-bowl guard could be exactly what the doctor ordered. Logan Mankins and a 2nd is a much better offer than the 2nd plus a conditional they got offered before. If the Pats are willing to part with it, I can see AJ seriously considering it.

Who's getting inside GM's heads now? :wacko:

Well, someone needs to play devils advocate with all the wide-eyed enthusiasm. I didn't have to crawl inside AJs head to gather all this, seems pretty self-evident at this point.

moss got really shortsighted imo...i know he wants another contract....but i dont think he saw the bigger picture here...i dunno if this guy really believed he was being phased out purposely

but to me its like this.....this team is trying to incorporate two rookie te's into the offense...and tate in the gaffney/stallworth role....with tate essentially being a rookie himself......they need to get these 3 guys rolling...they need to get those 3 guys knowing where they need to be all the time if the offense was going to reach the elite level again....if they get those guys rolling....and with welker....defenses would have a pick your poison situation.....especially with hernandez being a matchup nightmare......i think moss was in line for some bigger games down the road...once the younger guys started to fully pick things up....

FOX Sports' Adam Caplan predicts that Wes Welker will "see more double teams than ever" following the Randy Moss trade.

It's exactly what we were thinking. The Patriots now lack a proven outside receiver, so defenses will load up to stop Welker at least until Brandon Tate or rookie Taylor Price emerges as a threat on the perimeter. The Moss trade isn't a death knell for Welker -- he's still likely to lead the Pats in targets every week -- but is fantasy upside is curtailed moving forward.

N.E. will cost itself a shot this season, if they don't replace Moss with some experience. Welker owners will fell the wrath soon.

N.E. will cost itself a shot this season, if they don't replace Moss with some experience. Welker owners will fell the wrath soon.

Not sure how much of a shot they have with that defense but Moss wasn't playing nice in the sandbox - he had to go. Right or wrong (i.e., Pats definitely had a hand in pissing off Moss), getting a 3rd round pick for a disgruntled, aging WR is a win for the Pats.