[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Root canals are not that bad... actually.

cre8tiff

OK,

Just had my first root canal ever this morning. No pain at all. :tup:

The dentist even talked me through the whole thing, explaining what he was doing and even showed me the removed nerve!

What the heck is all the bad publicity? Was it from ages ago? :wacko:

Have the drugs worn off yet?

I've had one root canal and it was one of the worst things I've ever been through. Perhaps depending on which tooth their doing has an effect on the misery index, for me it was an upper right side molar, second furthest back one (not including my wisdom tooth which I still have them all). The position I had to hold my mouth open in was extremely uncomfortable after a little while. And I'm not one who even hates going to the dentist, but all that drilling and the smell is enough to make most people a bit squemish. And I could feel what was going on a little bit, not so much that I felt pain...ugh, I'm remembering it all right now as I am typing this. I'm done.

And I had no insurance. $2007 dollars out of pocket for that good time.

Edited by PPIchamp

OK,

Just had my first root canal ever this morning. No pain at all. :tup:

The dentist even talked me through the whole thing, explaining what he was doing and even showed me the removed nerve!

What the heck is all the bad publicity? Was it from ages ago? :wacko:

Well . . considering you are a Democrat, you are already into sado-masochism . . . no no wonder you enjoyed it! :tup:

I've had one root canal and it was one of the worst things I've ever been through. Perhaps depending on which tooth their doing has an effect on the misery index, for me it was an upper right side molar, second furthest back one (not including my wisdom tooth which I still have them all). The position I had to hold my mouth open in was extremely uncomfortable after a little while. And I'm not one who even hates going to the dentist, but all that drilling and the smell is enough to make most people a bit squemish. And I could feel what was going on a little bit, not so much that I felt pain...ugh, I'm remembering it all right now as I am typing this. I'm done.

ANNND there's the pain!

Yeah, I had an upper pre-molar done. Should have had two roots, but actually had three. The odontist was surprised, and said that was pretty rare.

As for the smell, whining drill and grinding, yeah, that is the downer for any dental work. But I've had enough of that over my life, so I'm somewhat used to it. :tup:

As for "being a Democrat = High tolerance for pain" ... I'd have to agree there. :wacko: those Bush years numbed me good.

+1 to all of this, including having no insurance at the time and getting bent over for the fees... upper right here as well, but the furthest one back... man it sucked.

I've had - I think three! Different levels of pain in each one. One of them, after Zell packed the tooth, went home and by 2AM came around, I was in so much f'n pain, I wanted to drill into my head to relieve the pressure. Called Zell in middle of night and all he said was something about see me 1st thing in the morning and "was it safe?"

Evidently, some kind of gas buildup (absess -sp?) where it kept building up and with no place to go due to the packing. I resigned myself to a lot of Jack Daniels and Dewers Black that night - and I mean A LOT!

I've had - I think three! Different levels of pain in each one. One of them, after Zell packed the tooth, went home and by 2AM came around, I was in so much f'n pain, I wanted to drill into my head to relieve the pressure. Called Zell in middle of night and all he said was something about see me 1st thing in the morning and "was it safe?"

Evidently, some kind of gas buildup (absess -sp?) where it kept building up and with no place to go due to the packing. I resigned myself to a lot of Jack Daniels and Dewers Black that night - and I mean A LOT!

Ack!! I'm well prepared in case that happens. My housekeeper left me some oxycontin. :wacko:

You suck. Sure enough, around midnight the sucker went off. But the Oxy took care of it and no pain (yet) this morning. :wacko:

I am sure one of these will be in my future at some point. Did the dentist use any new techniques or was it just the standard drill and pull? I've heard there are lasers that can be used for a pain free procedure. I've always heard that the shot into the nerve is what hurts the worst.

You suck. Sure enough, around midnight the sucker went off. But the Oxy took care of it and no pain (yet) this morning. :tup:

That oxy will last about 12 hours in someone who doesn't normally take them - 8 hours if you have chronic pain or some reason to have taken more than a few opiates recently. I highly recommend chewing them up rather than swallowing whole... :wacko:

I am sure one of these will be in my future at some point. Did the dentist use any new techniques or was it just the standard drill and pull? I've heard there are lasers that can be used for a pain free procedure. I've always heard that the shot into the nerve is what hurts the worst.

It didn't hurt at all during the procedure. It was drilling, no lasers.

That oxy will last about 12 hours in someone who doesn't normally take them - 8 hours if you have chronic pain or some reason to have taken more than a few opiates recently. I highly recommend chewing them up rather than swallowing whole... :wacko:

That can be dangerous due to the fact that you destroy the time release qualities of the pill, thus getting a relatively high dosage all at once... Just wanted to put that out there.

I have to call tomorrow to schedule my appointment to have one done on my back/lower right molar. This thread has made me feel better and scared the heck out of me at the same time.

Edited by Menudo

That can be dangerous due to the fact that you destroy the time release qualities of the pill, thus getting a relatively high dosage all at once... Just wanted to put that out there.

Yes, that was a joke on my part. I used to take very high levels of oxycontin for my back pain.

I've had 2 root canals and both were a piece of cake. If you're not a wuss and can deal with the drilling, slight smell and the feeling of the dentist poking and prodding around (especially as they send the files into the actual canals) you'll be fine. Oh and just hope you don't have any complications afterward.