[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Oregon ..... Wow!

theprofessor

dude, slow it down......

first of all "talent" was a bad choice of words. Of course Texas has talent, I could care less how many draft picks they have, I was simply pointing the hugh gap between Oregon and Texas, and I think UCLA as a common oppenent showed it pretty clearly. I don't care how many more first rd NFL picks UT has, Oregon is light years ahead of them on the field in 2010-2011.....

Not a Big 12/Pac 10 thing at all my man- Texas just happend to be in the Big 12, and I happen to think the Big 12 South is very strong division- just more that UT will end up being a pretty highly ranked team - so I think the point is relevant........ pretty damn impressive to me to dominate a team that went into Texas and overpowerd and dominated the Horns at their place. I don't even want to hear execuses there - UCLA ran the ball down their throats to the tune of 265 yards.

You're right, it was an impressive win... for UCLA. Has absolutely nothing to do with Oregon though. If it did then 2 years ago Penn State would've beat USC in the Rose Bowl. I mean after all, Penn State made Oregon State look like they didn't even deserve to share the same field with them, and OSU turned around and beat USC. Common opponent wins mean absolutely nothing, because each individual game is different and has different circumstances.

Bottom line, did Oregon beat Texas? No. UCLA did. Oregon beat UCLA. One doesn't have anything to do with the other.

And I brought up last year only because last year is still the last time Oregon played a really good defense. Nothing more nothing less. And based on the eyeball test, I have a hard time believing that many of the defenses in the Pac 10 are considered "excellent". Just might be painful come bowl time. Just trying to prepare you for a big fall.

Lmao.........sure is a lot of defensive knee-jerking around here. I don't think anyone in this thread has even remotely ripped Oregon. They've looked very good against some pretty damn poor D's. Let's just wait and see.

And all of this analysis of common opponents is a plateful of crap. Doesn't mean squat. People lose the forest for the trees and forget that this is the exact reason we love college football.......every game means something.

Lastly, Oregon is going to drop two this year.

You're right, it was an impressive win... for UCLA. Has absolutely nothing to do with Oregon though. If it did then 2 years ago Penn State would've beat USC in the Rose Bowl. I mean after all, Penn State made Oregon State look like they didn't even deserve to share the same field with them, and OSU turned around and beat USC. Common opponent wins mean absolutely nothing, because each individual game is different and has different circumstances.

Bottom line, did Oregon beat Texas? No. UCLA did. Oregon beat UCLA. One doesn't have anything to do with the other.

And I brought up last year only because last year is still the last time Oregon played a really good defense. Nothing more nothing less. And based on the eyeball test, I have a hard time believing that many of the defenses in the Pac 10 are considered "excellent". Just might be painful come bowl time. Just trying to prepare you for a big fall.

mostly agreed - you won't find me bring the common opponent argument in...... just did here because of how shocking the UCLA win was - never thought in a million years they would manhandle the Horns like that

there is not an excellent defense in the Pac 10- my Cats are #10 in the nation, and I really don't see them slowing this Duck machine down.

mostly agreed - you won't find me bring the common opponent argument in...... just did here because of how shocking the UCLA win was - never thought in a million years they would manhandle the Horns like that

there is not an excellent defense in the Pac 10- my Cats are #10 in the nation, and I really don't see them slowing this Duck machine down.

Well I mentioned in a previous thread, that Arizona might be the only team in the Pac 10 that is athletic enough up front on defense that can slow down the Duck offense. It takes a fast and athletic line that can create chaos up front, it takes fast linebackers that can clean up the mess, and it takes a secondary that isn't afraid to get their hands dirty. That's the only way you can stop the Duck offense. I saw Arizona against Iowa and they have many of those attributes. But Iowa's offense isn't Oregon's obviously, but the idea always remains constant. It starts up front. Oregon wins on offense because they win up front. I mean UCLA was just completely lost on d, and unlike a team like Stanford, had no offense of their own to keep up. That's a recipe for the result that you got.

• 2 weeks later...

Oregon was exposed a little bit yesterday. If you can put your efforts into stopping James and somewhat containing the QB, Oregon is pretty limited in the passing game. Your corners have to be stout against the dozen or so bubble screens they run, and the safeties have to come up in a hurry, but if you can make Oregon resort to a traditional passing game, they suddenly become quite normal. One of the worst defenses in the country focused their effort on stopping James yesterday, and it was shocking how average Oregon looked for a lot of that game. They may not lose in the conference (still have to play at OSU and against Zona), but if you give an elite defense a month to prepare, I have a feeling somebody is going to handle Oregon somewhat easily in the bowl game. The one X factor could be their return game. Both their return-men are flat-out sick. They make it look like a video game out there, and everybody else is in slow-mo.

Oregon was exposed a little bit yesterday. If you can put your efforts into stopping James and somewhat containing the QB, Oregon is pretty limited in the passing game. Your corners have to be stout against the dozen or so bubble screens they run, and the safeties have to come up in a hurry, but if you can make Oregon resort to a traditional passing game, they suddenly become quite normal. One of the worst defenses in the country focused their effort on stopping James yesterday, and it was shocking how average Oregon looked for a lot of that game. They may not lose in the conference (still have to play at OSU and against Zona), but if you give an elite defense a month to prepare, I have a feeling somebody is going to handle Oregon somewhat easily in the bowl game. The one X factor could be their return game. Both their return-men are flat-out sick. They make it look like a video game out there, and everybody else is in slow-mo.

:wacko:

this is college football, Ducks had a bit of a USC hangover in the first qtr and ended up winning in a rout - not sure about being "exposed"

the only D that has a chance to slow these guys is TCU or maybe LSU - and fwiw both Bama and LSU looked pretty pedestrian yesterday I think the Ducks would have zero trouble with either team........

this is college football, Ducks had a bit of a USC hangover in the first qtr and ended up winning in a rout - not sure about being "exposed"

the only D that has a chance to slow these guys is TCU or maybe LSU - and fwiw both Bama and LSU looked pretty pedestrian yesterday I think the Ducks would have zero trouble with either team........

Exactly. I guess anyone who wants to hold the Ducks to 50 can watch what UW did.

Hangover? In this rivalry? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you might not have watched this game.

The Huskies defense attacked the screens and crashed the middle to over-play L.James in the read-option game. This left two vulnerable areas to exploit. It left Thomas one-on-one with a contain guy, and it left the middle of the of field relatively open. They forced Thomas to have to throw the ball down the field, and then they found out he couldn't do it! He broke contain on the ends and LB's a few times, but those are some of the worst players on one of the worst defenses in the nation trying to contain this kid. A team with legit edge linemen can slow him down. The Huskies, with their pathetic talent and speed, held Oregon down for 30+ minutes based purely on scheme. Imagine what a team with athletes could do.

Eventually the inability to slow down the Oregon return game in the least bit combined with the inability to sustain any offense whatsoever caused all you know what to break loose. Thomas started to attack the edge of the defense with his feet, and hit a couple big throws, but when the game was still in reach, he didn't look good at all throwing the football. Likewise, James was under 4YPC for the longest time, then the D just got worn out and lost their luster and he broke a couple decent runs.

Some better defenses are going to take note and do whatever they can to force Thomas to throw the ball down the field at some point. That is all I'm saying. We'll see how he handles it.

Edited by Seahawks21

Hangover? In this rivalry? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you might not have watched this game.

The Huskies defense attacked the screens and crashed the middle to over-play L.James in the read-option game. This left two vulnerable areas to exploit. It left Thomas one-on-one with a contain guy, and it left the middle of the of field relatively open. They forced Thomas to have to throw the ball down the field, and then they found out he couldn't do it! He broke contain on the ends and LB's a few times, but those are some of the worst players on one of the worst defenses in the nation trying to contain this kid. A team with legit edge linemen can slow him down. The Huskies, with their pathetic talent and speed, held Oregon down for 30+ minutes based purely on scheme. Imagine what a team with athletes could do.

Eventually the inability to slow down the Oregon return game in the least bit combined with the inability to sustain any offense whatsoever caused all you know what to break loose. Thomas started to attack the edge of the defense with his feet, and hit a couple big throws, but when the game was still in reach, he didn't look good at all throwing the football. Likewise, James was under 4YPC for the longest time, then the D just got worn out and lost their luster and he broke a couple decent runs.

Some better defenses are going to take note and do whatever they can to force Thomas to throw the ball down the field at some point. That is all I'm saying. We'll see how he handles it.

are u serious? this is no longer much of a rivalry - the Ducks own the Dawgs.

Do you honestly think Oregon was scared of a Locker-less Husky squad coming into Eugene. Yeah, I would chalk up the first qtr sluggishness to a big W over USC.

Do you think stopping James and forcing Thomas to throw the ball downfield is some kind of magical scheme devised by Holt?? I guarantee very team comes in with the same game plan on D- it is the execution of it that is the hard part. Oregon out-executes everyone to such a high level it is really impressive.

on an off night the Ducks put up 50 and rolled UW, they trailed Tenn and ASU as well- just part of college football I would hardly call it being exposed

are u serious? this is no longer much of a rivalry - the Ducks own the Dawgs.

Do you honestly think Oregon was scared of a Locker-less Husky squad coming into Eugene. Yeah, I would chalk up the first qtr sluggishness to a big W over USC.

Do you think stopping James and forcing Thomas to throw the ball downfield is some kind of magical scheme devised by Holt?? I guarantee very team comes in with the same game plan on D- it is the execution of it that is the hard part. Oregon out-executes everyone to such a high level it is really impressive.

on an off night the Ducks put up 50 and rolled UW, they trailed Tenn and ASU as well- just part of college football I would hardly call it being exposed

Disappointing. For a guy that swears up and down he watches football. C'mon. You've watched Oregon play, right? Almost every single team has tried to defend their offense basically the same way for five years now. The scheme UW used was a different approach than almost anyone has tried yet. Hahahaha

Disappointing. For a guy that swears up and down he watches football. C'mon. You've watched Oregon play, right? Almost every single team has tried to defend their offense basically the same way for five years now. The scheme UW used was a different approach than almost anyone has tried yet. Hahahaha

Isnt it funny how some just love to argue everything. Hell he said Oregon St was a top 15 team, now they have lost what 5 games. He said Oregon played their #5 QB against Ohio St in last yrs bowl, yet Masoli their season starter played in the game. he said Boise passed the eye ball test, but now TCU is the flavor of the day, Boise dropped in his top 5. All while his team was a 1 loss Zona team, and he didnt mention they got their ass handed to them last night, or hell anything about them most of the year, only to tell us how great the Pac-10 is instead. Now he says Stanford is the #5 team in his poll, after saying earlier in the year Bama was the best 1 loss team. Guess now they are the best 2 loss team, and LSU just beat Bama, but they get no love, because I guess they dont pass the eye ball test. Id love to meet this cat. Me thinks he is probably a 40 yr old part time Fry man, living in his moms trailor, and is frustrated at the world for forgetting he exists, which is why he loves to come in here every day and try and pick a fight with someone. So if Oregon wins the NC, is he going to tell us they are the best team ever. So what, who cares. The Pac-10 is a joke outside of Oregon. Stanford hasnt beat anyone yet. Zone beat Iowa, which was the upset of the year. I would say that was UCLA over texas, but Texas has as many loses now as UCLA, so they both suck.

Isnt it funny how some just love to argue everything. Hell he said Oregon St was a top 15 team, now they have lost what 5 games. He said Oregon played their #5 QB against Ohio St in last yrs bowl, yet Masoli their season starter played in the game. he said Boise passed the eye ball test, but now TCU is the flavor of the day, Boise dropped in his top 5. All while his team was a 1 loss Zona team, and he didnt mention they got their ass handed to them last night, or hell anything about them most of the year, only to tell us how great the Pac-10 is instead. Now he says Stanford is the #5 team in his poll, after saying earlier in the year Bama was the best 1 loss team. Guess now they are the best 2 loss team, and LSU just beat Bama, but they get no love, because I guess they dont pass the eye ball test. Id love to meet this cat. Me thinks he is probably a 40 yr old part time Fry man, living in his moms trailor, and is frustrated at the world for forgetting he exists, which is why he loves to come in here every day and try and pick a fight with someone. So if Oregon wins the NC, is he going to tell us they are the best team ever. So what, who cares. The Pac-10 is a joke outside of Oregon. Stanford hasnt beat anyone yet. Zone beat Iowa, which was the upset of the year. I would say that was UCLA over texas, but Texas has as many loses now as UCLA, so they both suck.

not really interested in this garbage private ryan - I know what you are all about and I have zero interest in the bchit back and forth

Your a scumbag that has pulled so much crap on the huddle it is pathetic- your most recent one topped them all.

real quickly -

-not sure how much of a stretch it is to have Stanford at #5, since they are sitting at #6......

- not many trailer parks in Scottsdale

not really interested in this garbage private ryan - I know what you are all about and I have zero interest in the bchit back and forth

Your a scumbag that has pulled so much crap on the huddle it is pathetic- your most recent one topped them all.

real quickly -

-not sure how much of a stretch it is to have Stanford at #5, since they are sitting at #6......

- not many trailer parks in Scottsdale

Wasn't there some type of illegal wagering involved in that banning?

Hey genius, still think nobody is going to take notice of the defense UW used?

take notice of the defense that gave up 50+ points? not sure what in the world you are talking about here.

Cal played a straight up man to man with 7 in the box - is this some groundbreaking defensive scheme to try and slow Oregon?

Were other teams playing 5-6 DB's and daring them to run??

I cant seem to find Oregon state in the rankings, or the top 15 as some have claimed. Seems 1-9 Washington State didnt get that memo, as has what 4 other teams that have just spanked the crap out of Oregon St.. They just might be the first top 15 team to go 4-8. :wacko:

Edited by Living the Dream

Cal played a straight up man to man with 7 in the box - is this some groundbreaking defensive scheme to try and slow Oregon?

Either you literally know so little about football that you can't identify a defensive scheme or you are simply trying to lie so people will buy your points, but this is factually incorrect and is not based on reality in any way. I just can't believe someone who says that they watch so much football can't even figure out what kind of basic defenses a team is running. It is basic. This isn't even football 101, this is like remedial high school football. The 13 year-olds I coach can recognize defenses on tv. I have given you chance after chance man. Why do you argue so aggressively when it is plain to see from schooled eyes that you have no idea what you're talking about? And you're gonna call names after this? Hahahah . I give up. I have never clicked Ignore on a huddler before, but I've wasted far too much time already. Kind of sad. Best of luck to ya, you'll need it around here. Man to man with 7 in the box? Man to man with 7 in the box? I just watched the game again, and they literally did not call that defense one time the entire game. Not once. They did exactly what UW was trying to do. All game long. Uggh. Why do I try?

Either you literally know so little about football that you can't identify a defensive scheme or you are simply trying to lie so people will buy your points, but this is factually incorrect and is not based on reality in any way. I just can't believe someone who says that they watch so much football can't even figure out what kind of basic defenses a team is running. It is basic. This isn't even football 101, this is like remedial high school football. The 13 year-olds I coach can recognize defenses on tv. I have given you chance after chance man. Why do you argue so aggressively when it is plain to see from schooled eyes that you have no idea what you're talking about? And you're gonna call names after this? Hahahah . I give up. I have never clicked Ignore on a huddler before, but I've wasted far too much time already. Kind of sad. Best of luck to ya, you'll need it around here. Man to man with 7 in the box? Man to man with 7 in the box? I just watched the game again, and they literally did not call that defense one time the entire game. Not once. They did exactly what UW was trying to do. All game long. Uggh. Why do I try?

agreed, I can't even stand responding to you, it just gives me a headache - gotta say I am loving having Brent on ignore I may have to throw you on as well.

We all know you know more about football than the rest of us

if Cal, didn't play straight up man to man, then what did they play Einstein?

from SB nation

How were the California Golden Bears defense able to be so effective at shutting down the Oregon Ducks offense? Clancy Pendergast's unit played extremely efficient football using man coverages, simple assignments, and great playmaking

from rivals

“All the rest of the Pac-10 can take notes right now,” Conte said. “We played zero-coverage the whole game. I was responsible for the quarterback. They do all that zone-read stuff, and my sole job was to be on the quarterback, and then, if I can help out late on pass, then help out. Everybody just accounted for a man. That was the key to success, right there. I had no doubt that we were going to win this game, and I knew that our defense would come out and execute the game plan. We had a great week of practice, everyone was really fired up, and it was ripe for the upset. We all knew that, if we came out here and executed, this team was very beatable. They had big plays against other teams, and, in watching films, you could see that people were making mistakes, and they exploit those mistakes

man, i feel ya..... Dude is just a clown.

agreed, I can't even stand responding to you, it just gives me a headache - gotta say I am loving having Brent on ignore I may have to throw you on as well.

We all know you know more about football than the rest of us

if Cal, didn't play straight up man to man, then what did they play Einstein?

from SB nation

How were the California Golden Bears defense able to be so effective at shutting down the Oregon Ducks offense? Clancy Pendergast's unit played extremely efficient football using man coverages, simple assignments, and great playmaking

from rivals

“All the rest of the Pac-10 can take notes right now,” Conte said. “We played zero-coverage the whole game. I was responsible for the quarterback. They do all that zone-read stuff, and my sole job was to be on the quarterback, and then, if I can help out late on pass, then help out. Everybody just accounted for a man. That was the key to success, right there. I had no doubt that we were going to win this game, and I knew that our defense would come out and execute the game plan. We had a great week of practice, everyone was really fired up, and it was ripe for the upset. We all knew that, if we came out here and executed, this team was very beatable. They had big plays against other teams, and, in watching films, you could see that people were making mistakes, and they exploit those mistakes

I don't get your point. You are aware that man 0 (they actually ran a lot of man 1 in passing situations) is galactically different from straight man with 7 in the box, right? Wasn't your quote that they ran man to man defense with 7 in the box? My reply was that they didn't do this for one single play. Your retort was to validate my point? Uhhh, thanks?

I could go into length about the different combinations you could call out of man 0 and the principles that this is based on and how they learned it from watching the UW game, but I think I'd rather just sit back and enjoy watching this trench you are digging. I anxiously await the squirming that is about to take place.

I don't get your point. You are aware that man 0 (they actually ran a lot of man 1 in passing situations) is galactically different from straight man with 7 in the box, right? Wasn't your quote that they ran man to man defense with 7 in the box? My reply was that they didn't do this for one single play. Your retort was to validate my point? Uhhh, thanks?

I could go into length about the different combinations you could call out of man 0 and the principles that this is based on and how they learned it from watching the UW game, but I think I'd rather just sit back and enjoy watching this trench you are digging. I anxiously await the squirming that is about to take place.

I could care less about your vast football knowledge. All I know is CAL played a str8 simple man to man defense - and they played it well. Yet you somehow think UW laid the blueprint in their blowout loss. I really have no interest in responding to you my man- your the same clown who called out the entire tailgate for not having ever played pop warner football... seriously? in a FF forum?

You come off as some expert on everything, I can set my clock to disagreeing with EVERY single post you ever make - it is really funny to me how your take on damn near every subject is dead wrong. Did Cal not play 7 in th box? maybe....my point (not being a defensive coordinator) was Cal played a str8 forward simple man defense- which they did... All you do is come in and blast 7 in the box over and over and never once make a point.

You then have another thread where the all knowing Seahawks21 states Locker would NOT have been a 1st rd pick last year, ok :wacko:

seriously, where do you get this chit from?

just amazing stuff really, and the fact the you and private ryan seem to agree on most points is just beautiful.

I could care less about your vast football knowledge. All I know is CAL played a str8 simple man to man defense - and they played it well. Yet you somehow think UW laid the blueprint in their blowout loss. I really have no interest in responding to you my man- your the same clown who called out the entire tailgate for not having ever played pop warner football... seriously? in a FF forum?

You come off as some expert on everything, I can set my clock to disagreeing with EVERY single post you ever make - it is really funny to me how your take on damn near every subject is dead wrong. Did Cal not play 7 in th box? maybe....my point (not being a defensive coordinator) was Cal played a str8 forward simple man defense- which they did... All you do is come in and blast 7 in the box over and over and never once make a point.

You then have another thread where the all knowing Seahawks21 states Locker would NOT have been a 1st rd pick last year, ok :wacko:

seriously, where do you get this chit from?

just amazing stuff really, and the fact the you and private ryan seem to agree on most points is just beautiful.

Straight Man TO MAN!?!?!?!? / They did not run straight man to man on ONE SINGLE PLAY!!! FIGURE IT OUT ALREADY!!! NOT ONE PLAY!!! Ohhh man. Man to man with 0 deep. What do you suppose they did with the other two defenders?? Think!!! Do you think they just stood there? Do you think they played with nine players??

Edited by Seahawks21