[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

some one please explain the Pit / Miami paly to me !

MustOfBeenDrunk

What do you need explained? The ref gave a clear and concise explanation of his interpretation of the rules.

I think it's a bogus rule they should continue the play if there is any doubt it's a fumble find out who has the ball and then decipher from there whether it's a td, a fumble lost or a fumble recovered. The ref proclaiming it's a TD and the play being as if it's dead from there is weak and cost a team a win.... Just my :wacko:

Big Ben fumbled the ball just before the ball crossed the goalline and the ref BLEW the whistle and signaled touchdown. F up number one. Once he blew the whistle the ball was dead. So once he got under the hood he realized, or even before he got under the hood there was a fumble. Now he is in a bind because once he blew the play dead he can't continue to see who recovered it because effectively it didn't matter because he blew the play dead. So to try and save face they evoke the clear possession rule which of course inconclusive even though a Miami defender came up with the ball standing holding it in the air. F up #2. In short miami got bent over as a result of a quick whistle. The ref thought he saw the ball cross the goal line in Ben's possession and wanted to protect the QB from further hits thus the quick whistle to end the play. F up #3.

Edited by Cowboyz1

Big Ben fumbled the ball just before the ball crossed the goalline and the ref BLEW the whistle and signaled touchdown. F up number one. Once he blew the whistle the ball was dead. So once he got under the hood he realized, or even before he got under the hood there was a fumble. Now he is in a bind because once he blew the play dead he can't continue to see who recovered it because effectively it didn't matter because he blew the play dead. So to try and save face they evoke the clear possession rule which of course inconclusive even though a Miami defender came up with the ball standing holding it in the air. F up #2. In short miami got bent over as a result of a quick whistle.

This explanation is spot on.

Same thing happened with Hoculli blowing the play dead between SD/DEN a few years back. Once the whistle blows - it doesn't matter what happens after wards.

Line Judge thought Ben crossed, called TD, blew whistle. Play ends - regardless of what happens after.

While as much as we'd like to say "These refs need to lay off the whistle and let them play" - they HAVE to keep player safety in mind. I can't tell you how many times this season I've seen players get trapped in a push for forward progress and started screaming as to why the refs haven't blown the play dead. Unnecessary Injuries waiting to happen.

Botched call - yes. They did the best they could trying to correct it though.

Edited by kpholmes

This call was absolute BS!!! He saw in the replay that Ben fumbled before the ball crossed the line, however his lame ass excuse was that Pitt recovered it when it was a member of the Dolphins who recovered the ball and clearly gave it to the official. This official needs to be fired immediately after that horrible call.

This call was absolute BS!!! He saw in the replay that Ben fumbled before the ball crossed the line, however his lame ass excuse was that Pitt recovered it when it was a member of the Dolphins who recovered the ball and clearly gave it to the official. This official needs to be fired immediately after that horrible call.

"If you lose, you lose," Dolphins inside linebacker Channing Crowder said. "You can make all the excuses, but our record's 3-3. There's not going to be an asterisk next to the third loss. Who cares? Good call, bad call, I don't know the rules. But we should've won. We never should have been in that situation. To put it in the ref's hands was our fault."

Poor red zone offense.

Poor two-minute offense.

Poor third-down defense.

The Dolphins failed to score touchdowns despite starting their first possessions at the Steelers' 22- and 13-yard lines within the first 1:58 of the game.

Sparano bemoaned his offense's inability to get at least 10 points out of those glorious opportunities.

"We could be up 14-0 right off the bat," Dolphins left tackle Jake Long said. "But we didn't start fast enough. We've got to be better than that."

Each time, the Dolphins failed to convert a first down and didn't take any shots into the end zone. Ronnie Brown ran once for 1 yard. Ricky Williams ran three times for 0, 8 and 0 yards. Chad Henne threw two short incomplete passes.

That actually wasn't his excuse - his excuse was that they didn't have definitive proof on tape that MIAMI recovered the ball, which is what they needed to have in order to award a turnover. I'm not upset about this play at all - from the standpoint of the line ref who made the initial call, it looked like a TD - it wasn't until the aerial view was shown that it became clear that Ben lost the ball (and last I checked, the NFL doesn't have flying refs). As I was sitting watching the review, all I kept thinking is that it doesn't matter - PIT gets the ball anyway and kicks a FG and it's over. I'm not sure why people thought that the refs were going to review the recovery when the whistle was blown for a TD. I guess it's one of those "flawed" rules but it is what it is.

The referees always cheat so that the Steelers win, don't yinz all know that by now?

It's a vast ref conspiracy to protect the Steelers . . . and Tom Brady. Everyone else can go f themselves!

The referees always cheat so that the Steelers win, don't yinz all know that by now?

They also cheat against the Cowboys because everyone knows, most fans and officials hate the Cowboys. We have had our share of bad calls this year but mostly we have brought it on ourselves.

In this case, the ref was being cautious to protect the QB and blew an early TD whistle as he saw it. Pitt ball no matter what after that. Miami did have their chances though now that I saw the game again.

Big Ben fumbled the ball just before the ball crossed the goalline and the ref BLEW the whistle and signaled touchdown. F up number one. Once he blew the whistle the ball was dead. So once he got under the hood he realized, or even before he got under the hood there was a fumble. Now he is in a bind because once he blew the play dead he can't continue to see who recovered it because effectively it didn't matter because he blew the play dead. So to try and save face they evoke the clear possession rule which of course inconclusive even though a Miami defender came up with the ball standing holding it in the air. F up #2. In short miami got bent over as a result of a quick whistle. The ref thought he saw the ball cross the goal line in Ben's possession and wanted to protect the QB from further hits thus the quick whistle to end the play. F up #3.

This explanation is spot on.

Same thing happened with Hoculli blowing the play dead between SD/DEN a few years back. Once the whistle blows - it doesn't matter what happens after wards.

Line Judge thought Ben crossed, called TD, blew whistle. Play ends - regardless of what happens after.

While as much as we'd like to say "These refs need to lay off the whistle and let them play" - they HAVE to keep player safety in mind. I can't tell you how many times this season I've seen players get trapped in a push for forward progress and started screaming as to why the refs haven't blown the play dead. Unnecessary Injuries waiting to happen.

Botched call - yes. They did the best they could trying to correct it though.

Yep and yep.

They should have just come clean and said that they blew the whistle and thus, anything that happened after that could not be accounted for. Sure, the fans would be pissed, but it's not like they're not pissed now. I mean, to say you can't tell who ended up with the ball is totally lame because everyone can tell who did. The only defense is that Steeler players may have not tried for the ball because the whistle had been blown. That's your best story ref, go with that one.

Excellent recap.

his lame ass excuse was that Pitt recovered it when it was a member of the Dolphins who recovered the ball and clearly gave it to the official. This official needs to be fired immediately after that horrible call.

He never said that. He said it wasn't clear who recovered it by the time the whistle had blown. This official did everything by the book. I hate Pittsburgh as much as the next guy, and yes this should have gone against them - but this isn't one you can hold against them like the Superbowl. It was a bang-bang play that there's no good ending to in the day and age of slow-motion replay and armchair quarterbacks.

They also cheat against the Cowboys because everyone knows, most fans and officials hate the Cowboys. We have had our share of bad calls this year but mostly we have brought it on ourselves.

In this case, the ref was being cautious to protect the QB and blew an early TD whistle as he saw it. Pitt ball no matter what after that. Miami did have their chances though now that I saw the game again.

100% - It was a bad call, but the fact is Miami had chances all day long to win that game. The Steelers fumbled the ball two times in a row in the red zone. Miami also had over two minutes to drive the field to kick a game winning field goal. That play did not cost Miami the game. Miami cost Miami the game.

The ref blew the whistle when he thought it was a TD... That is common and the right call to make... It just wasn't a TD.

wrong. they changed that rule a couple years back (after the SD/DEN call).

I think this was a nonsensical call. any time there's a pile, how do the officials determine who ended up with posession? when they get to the bottom of the pile, who has the ball in their hands? I've never once seen them say, "well we can't tell who had their hands around it first at the bottom of the pile, so we're just going to give it back to the offense". why on earth would they make that ruling here? this was not a question of overturning the ruling on the field...there was no ruling made as to who recovered the fumble, because they ruled there was no fumble. once you overturn that call, you have to figure out who possessed it, and they should have figured that out the way they always do, by seeing who came out of the pile with the ball.