[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thanksgiving and gratitude

Jimmy Neutron

I am thankful my father-in-law survived his surgery today, amputating most of his foot due to diabetes compl;ications

Good to hear, BP. I see way more than my share of those amputations. Most of our home patients are diabetic with renal failure.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to hear, BP. I see way more than my share of those amputations. Most of our home patients are diabetic with renal failure.

Yep. His kidneys are operating at about 25% capacity . . which complicated the surgery. :wacko:

I am also very thankful for my amazing wife. Waaaay to many things to list there, unless I write a post as long as cliaz's :tup: She is a saint, an amazing mother, and one of the kindest human beings I have ever known.

what a delightful post, thanking God each day for the simple things me and my family & friends should never take for granted like being able to see, walk and hear (my nephew is deaf so this hits close to home). God is good...always!!

Numerous things, but wish I could find that famous quote that listed things out like "I am grateful when I complain about my job because it means I am employed" etc. That and this one are IMO the best I have seen (and I'm not much for such stuff in general). PS if the mention of God/etc freaks you out, insert whatever works for you, not meaning to preach:

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter;

for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let not this not blind you to what virtue there is;

many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.

But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

I am grateful for amazing parents. I kind of resented living in a perfect leave it to Beaver household when I was a kid. Now I realize how unique that was and how it was a dang miracle that my parents created that kind of environment with 5 kids in the house. They were and are perfect examples to me and my family.

Today I'm thankful to be back home and spending time with the kids. The hunting trips are always fun, but so is coming home. My youngest is really a Daddy's girl. I picked her up from school yesterday afternoon after having not seen her for since Thursday morning, and she ran to me and gave me the tightest hug she could for about 30 seconds or so. It is good to be missed.

Today I am grateful for a repaired relationship with my mother. It was a long time coming and it is nice to just call Mom because I want to, rather than because I have dodged 4 or 5 calls from her and figure I have to.

I am thankful to have so many advantages compared to others in the world. I dont think people in teh US really appreciate the amazing opportunies and advantages they have in this country, and so many people piss those opportunities away.

I write this after seeing how badly Haiti is getting after getting hammered by another hurricane . . .:wacko:

I'm grateful for my church and the people that make it up. The way that everyone cares for one another and helps one another. We have people that cut the old maid's grass, help members move, and just check up on the general welfare of others.

I am very grateful for those that serve(d) in the military. That uncomforatble lump rises in my throat when I see those pics of guys/gals at Walter Reed or the WWII vets in 4th of July parades missing limbs. These people did not suffer some tragic accident - they put their butts on the line to protect our way of life for very little monetary return.

I am grateful for my dad's service in Viet Nam and my grandpa's service in the Pacific in WWII and their quiet dignity and examples they have been to me as long as I have known them. In my mind, guys like my dad and grandpa are tougher than Butkus and braver than Rudy. My dad brought home a lot of physical scars and nightmares from 'Nam. Grandpa came home a different man - crass and hard on the outside, but still a hugh softy for children and his war buddies. Watching his buddies salute him one last time at his burial with tears in their eyes was perhaps the most touching thing I have ever witnessed.

And some gave all.:tup::lol::tup::wacko::lol:

Today I'm grateful for the charitable giving of others. I attended a charity function last night, and while the economy is down, the people really stepped up with their donations. I'm glad I live in a community that values it's charitable organizations and has local charities that do so much good in the community.

I am grateful for my health. Oh sure, I cuss the aches and pains of growing older, bad shoulders and having to watch my blood sugar, but I have total mobility and can do pretty much anything I want. I can wrestle with my sons, fight river current for hours with a fly rod, go on a hike or run a .5k. Life is good.