[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Needs some advice ...

theprofessor

We have 23 people coming over for Thanksgiving and the wife wants the ovens free for other food so I am going to have to smoke the turkey in the smoker. I am kind of a novice when it comes to smoking as I bought my smoker this July. I have smoked ribs, chicken but never turkey. I have read a little on the web but thought I'd ask for some help on here as I know a lot of you are avid smokers. BTW, I purchased the large 22" Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker.

I have ordered a fresh 26 pound turkey and I know that you pull the bird out when the temp is between 160-165. Take the temp from the fatty part of the leg, correct? For a 26 pound bird I'm thinking it will need to be smoked for about 7.5 - 8 hours. Is that about right? I don't want an overwhelming smokey flavor, how do I minimize the smokiness of the meat? I started brining my turkeys about 3 years ago and loved the results. Is there any downside to brining the day before when you smoke a turkey? Should I keep the temperature between 325-350 degree's? I want to put the bird on the top shelf of the smoker so I have the pan on the lower shelf to catch all the drippings for the gravy. Is there any downside to having the turkey on the higher shelf of the smoker?

I'm thinking of just stuffing the cavity with lemon, onions, oranges, rosemary, sage and thyme any other suggestions? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, in advance.

First thing, brining is absolutely OK, in fact I was going to recommend it when I first started reading. Second, if you keep the temp that high you will be closer to roasting it than smoking it. It will take longer if you keep the temp in the 225-250 range (figure about 13 hours) but you'll get a better overall flavor IMO.

The key to not having too smokey a flavor is to having the right smoke woods. The bird is only going to take smoke during the first 3-4 hours so that is when you'll want to use the smoke woods. After that just go with straight charcoal. You'll definitely want a lighter flavor smoke wood. Something like apple or pear would go nicely I think. You could also go with a medium flavor wood such as oak, maple or pecan but use them sparingly. Avoid hickory or mesquite. Way too heavy here. the other thing is to not soak your smoke woods in too much water. They will smoke more and burn longer if you soak them for an hour, but a 15 minute soak will give you a lighter smoke flavor off them.

Speaking of charcoal, I know with the WSMC they recommend charcoal briquettes. Don't listen to them. While the briquettes burn more evenly, they just don't do as good a job on the flavor as lump charcoal. Lump wins every time.

Add some crushed garlic cloves into the cavity in addition to what you already have. I'd skip the oranges but that is a personal preference. Some folks love them with turkey.

Second, if you keep the temp that high you will be closer to roasting it than smoking it. It will take longer if you keep the temp in the 225-250 range (figure about 13 hours) but you'll get a better overall flavor IMO.

Dinner is set for 3:00 pm so based on the above I will have to have the bird prepped and the smoker going at 2:00 am :tup: So much for sleep :wacko: Thanks for all the advice, that definately helps.

I have smoked with pecan wood, and the flavor has been excellent. I use chunks rather than chips. An alternative to brining is injection. I use a food injector and inject a mixture of butter, chicken broth and spices into the thighs and breast for some extra flavor.

I have smoked with pecan wood, and the flavor has been excellent. I use chunks rather than chips. An alternative to brining is injection. I use a food injector and inject a mixture of butter, chicken broth and spices into the thighs and breast for some extra flavor.

Never injected, might try that this year instead of brining. What spices do you use?

First thing, brining is absolutely OK, in fact I was going to recommend it when I first started reading. Second, if you keep the temp that high you will be closer to roasting it than smoking it. It will take longer if you keep the temp in the 225-250 range (figure about 13 hours) but you'll get a better overall flavor IMO.

The key to not having too smokey a flavor is to having the right smoke woods. The bird is only going to take smoke during the first 3-4 hours so that is when you'll want to use the smoke woods. After that just go with straight charcoal. You'll definitely want a lighter flavor smoke wood. Something like apple or pear would go nicely I think. You could also go with a medium flavor wood such as oak, maple or pecan but use them sparingly. Avoid hickory or mesquite. Way too heavy here. the other thing is to not soak your smoke woods in too much water. They will smoke more and burn longer if you soak them for an hour, but a 15 minute soak will give you a lighter smoke flavor off them.

Speaking of charcoal, I know with the WSMC they recommend charcoal briquettes. Don't listen to them. While the briquettes burn more evenly, they just don't do as good a job on the flavor as lump charcoal. Lump wins every time.

Add some crushed garlic cloves into the cavity in addition to what you already have. I'd skip the oranges but that is a personal preference. Some folks love them with turkey.

Very good post here.

After smoking turkey to unbelievable results, we are heading to NJ (I'm in LI, NY) to pick up mother-in-law to go to a restaurant for Thanksgiving. I am NOT happy. I WILL be thankful, but likely, still not happy.

Dinner is set for 3:00 pm so based on the above I will have to have the bird prepped and the smoker going at 2:00 am :tup: So much for sleep :wacko: Thanks for all the advice, that definately helps.

Look at it this way, it give you an excuse to start drinking early. :tup:

Never injected, might try that this year instead of brining. What spices do you use?

I got it from "How to Grill," by Steven Raichlen.

Cajun rub (you only need a teaspoon for the injector sauce, but I use it on a lot of other stuff):

1/4 c coarse salt

1/4 cup sweet (Hungarian) paprika

1 TBS garlic powder

1 TBS onion powder

1 TBS thyme

1 TBS oregano

1 TBS black pepper

2 tsp white pepper

1 to 2 tsp cayenne pepper

ground bay leaf

injector sauce:

1/2 c chicken broth

3 TBS butter

2 tsp lemon juice

1 tsp cajun rub

If you smoke the turkey at 225-250, the skin will be rubbery. The meat will be wonderful, but no one is going to be enjoying the turkey skin. I know this from experience.

I find if I roast the bird at about 350 on The Egg, with a generous amount of wood smoke, my bird gets a smoky flavor but the skin is also nice and crispy.

If you smoke the turkey at 225-250, the skin will be rubbery. The meat will be wonderful, but no one is going to be enjoying the turkey skin. I know this from experience.

I find if I roast the bird at about 350 on The Egg, with a generous amount of wood smoke, my bird gets a smoky flavor but the skin is also nice and crispy.

And he will cut the cooking time by 1/3... win/win situation.

So, If I cook at a temp between 325-350 would you say that I can plan on a 8-9 hour smoke?

I usually do a 10-12 pound bird at 350 degrees (I also fry a 10-12 lb bird). It usually takes no more than 3 hours to roast a bird at 350. Of course, I take the bird out of the brine several hours prior to roasting so that it's closer to room temp.

Good advice here, I've done a turkey on a real smoker much the same way. It gets just enough smoke without being overbearing, plus you can do it in a reasonable time.

Make sure you buy an injector that has a large needle with a big hole. Otherwise the spices will get clogged in the needle.

Yes, and make sure you are wearing a ratty shirt when you inject the turkey. It's fun to get a clog in the injector, only to press so hard that it spurts all over you instead of the bird.

How long would a 27 lb bird take at 230? :wacko:

I'll crank up the heat to 375 or so the last 1.5 hours or so to crisp up the skin.

12 to 14 hours.

If you crank it up the last hour and a half, that will equal about 3/3.5 hours at 230. So, you would only want to cook the bird 9 hours. so you crank it up after 7.5 hours.

Ok. I have decided to smoke the 20 pound turkey and roast the 25 pound turkey in the oven.

My goal is to keep a constant temp of 325 on the smoker. If I can do this I was thinking that a 20# bird should take approximately 6.5 hours. Am I close? I want to have both turkeys done within 15-20 minutes of each other. I was going to plan on 4.5 hours for the 25# turkey in the roaster at 350 degrees. Am I in the ball park? Thanks, in advance.

Happy Thanksgiving!!