[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Move again?

Jimmy Neutron

As some of you know, I recently relocatd my family to northern California. It wasn't by choice - my company said take the job or joing the unemployment line - several managers at my level were approached the same way. The veep of our organization had a burr under his saddle...

Noe the job I wanted all along opened up in Dallas. it's the biggest operation in the country for our company - about 5 times the size of the site I manage now. Hugh opportunity. Higher salary, lower COL (no income tax!?!) nicer (as far as build/things to do) area to live in. It's hotter than hell down there, tornados don't excite me and I despise the flat land, but I really like Texas other than that.

That said - would you put your family through another cross-country move? :wacko:

I would not necessarily have the job in the bag, but I'd be a finalist for the position at least. I've already IDd Dallas (to the senior execs) as one of the few relo options that interest me.

What say ye?

well, one way to look at it is putting your family through the whole ordeal twice in a short time. but I think a truer way of looking at it is to think of what exactly is tying you to nor-cal. and it doesn't sound like it's much. to my mind it's verging on a no-brainer to pursue the gig in dallas -- as long as you think you can stomach all of the cowboys fans.

I agree w/ Azz...

If nothing is keeping you in NoCal (other than some relatively newly-made friends your kids may have), move. There are tons of reasons to not be in CA right now (read: "extraordinary state income taxes coming down the pike").

ETA: I wouldn't move before having the job in hand.

Edited by muck

In 2007 we moved from Brooklyn to San Diego as part of a job transfer for my wife, then six months later she got a new job near San Francisco and we moved again. Granted, we had only a preschool daughter at the time, and not school-aged kids like you. But we don't regret it in the least. The new job is MUCH better and we love it here. I absolutely can't stand moving, but it was short-term pain for long-term gain.

If I could get that job, I'd be gone so fast from CA it'd leave dust. Look at it this way - if you can get the job you improve that. You improve your pay by the amount of the ridiculous CA taxes, and you'll be going to an area a HELL of a lot more like your native Utah than CA will ever be. Add to that the fact that TX is one part of the country that hasn't actually been hit as hard by this recession, compared to CA where the worst is likely yet to come? No contest, IMO.

you'll be going to an area a HELL of a lot more like your native Utah than CA will ever be.

Is Jimmy not near the mountains of Norcal? While he may have state taxes to deal with, there should be a lot of cost of living conditions specific to his county or city. Socal and LA are completely different worlds to many parts of CA (a fact that seems lost amongst many posters here). And aesthetically there are many areas in Northern CA a lot closer to his native Utah than TEXAS, OUR TEXAS, OH HAIL THE MIGHTY STATE, TEXAS OUR TEXAS, SO WONDERFUL AND GREAT....

Edited by bushwacked

Split the difference and move to Arizona. There's a house for sale just down the street. :wacko:

CA does seem to be in a world of hurt right now. If you don't have any ties there it might be very tempting. I have been very briefly to northern California (Susanville). Very pretty country, kind of remote feeling. Haven't really spent any time in Texas so I don't have a feel for it at all. Whatever you decide, I wish you and your family the best.

well, one way to look at it is putting your family through the whole ordeal twice in a short time. but I think a truer way of looking at it is to think of what exactly is tying you to nor-cal. and it doesn't sound like it's much. to my mind it's verging on a no-brainer to pursue the gig in dallas -- as long as you think you can stomach all of the cowboys fans.

This. I see the move being so soon as an advantage in a way as the family probably haven't properly settled yet anyway.

We moved every 3 years or so growing up with my Dad's job. They probably won't be thrilled but it shouldn't kill them. We moved from Pt. Arena, CA to Fargo, ND about 2 months before I started high school. I hated it until I met a girl at Island Park pool. As a result of moving constantly as a kid, when I bought the house I decided I was going to die in it - no more moving. We bought this house in 2003 and this is the longest I've ever lived in the same place. Ironically, now that I'm 7 years into being a parent, I'm concernd that my kids aren't going to get to see the world like I did growing up.

I'm a busy boy but if you need me to run any recon for you or are wondering what awesomness Big D has to offer, let me know.

Your family should love Dallas. I am assunimg Plano area. Lots of fun. Plano has many transfers there b/c of all the corporate HQs in the immediate area. You should not feel like you will be an outsider for long; there will be others just like you or those who are in Plano working under similar circumstances. Traffic can be heavy in Plano, but only at rush hour times. High School football is huge. Both Plano high schools are good schools and are preferred as far a public schools go.

Dallas is a great place to live. Dallas is surrounded by many lakes so plenty of outdoor fun, if you like that. There are many things for families to do. Lots of good food and shopping plus Dallas attracts many events. The parks are big and clean and well kept and are pet friendly. And the golf courses are abundant.

Thanks for the input, guys.

We actually love the area we live in - very pretty, no traffic, lots of outdoor activities, ect.

We don't like that we're so far from big city events. SF/Sac are 2.5 hours away - not bad for weekend trips, but not likely for us to attend weekday concerts either.

The schools here are pretty poor, housing is expensive and taxes suck. Redding is pretty hickish too - not in a country charm kind of way. I never imagined moving from Utah to California would be like going back in time.

I've been to Dallas 20-something times and like the area a lot. The facility is in Coppell close to the Grapevine area. Most that work there live in Lewisville or out toward Denton.

Financially and career-wise it would be a great move. The tender-hearted parent in me is saying, "Can I really do that to them again?" My wife is somewhat open to the idea - the kids all hate it. :wacko:

Thanks for the input, guys.

We actually love the area we live in - very pretty, no traffic, lots of outdoor activities, ect.

We don't like that we're so far from big city events. SF/Sac are 2.5 hours away - not bad for weekend trips, but not likely for us to attend weekday concerts either.

The schools here are pretty poor, housing is expensive and taxes suck. Redding is pretty hickish too - not in a country charm kind of way. I never imagined moving from Utah to California would be like going back in time.

I've been to Dallas 20-something times and like the area a lot. The facility is in Coppell close to the Grapevine area. Most that work there live in Lewisville or out toward Denton.

Financially and career-wise it would be a great move. The tender-hearted parent in me is saying, "Can I really do that to them again?" My wife is somewhat open to the idea - the kids all hate it. :wacko:

Children's and wimmen's feelings are not to be considered when making a decision such as this. They think with their hearts, not their heads. Remember, life is tough, their hearts are going to get broken many times as the age, no sense in putting a little bit of pain off to the future... look at it as a life experience for the kiddies.

$400,000 Redding

$400,000 Dallas area

If that sort of thing makes a difference.

Yeah, home prices are definitely a draw. Homes around most areas around Big D are quite affordable.

A friend I used to work with in Utah is a transportation supervisor at the facility I am looking at and he has a great home with horse property for about half what he paid in Utah.

Have kids in 10th, 8th, 6th and 4th grades. The 8th grader just made the "varsity" jr high hoops team. :wacko:

Kids can adapt a lot easier than they think. I was in the military for close to 13 yrs and my boys had to endure many forced moves. They were never happy about it but once they got to the new location it never took long for them to settle in. They were also older when all this happened. Middle school through High school.

If it makes your life better, it will do the same for them.

If your kids are male, just remind them that most of the playboy centerfolds come from TX. If they are girls, remind them that most of the guys in CA are moes...

You get a chance to live in Texas AND they pay you?

Now there is a no-brainer.

And I have lived in Texas a total of about 25 years and never seen a tornado personally. Saw a funnel cloud once when I was driving near Amarillo. Dallas gets on the hot side compared to some other places but it only lasts a month or two and there are plenty of water parks and such.

I lived in No. California for 20 years and moved because of taxes, cost of living, home prices, etc..

Come on over!