[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

LSU/Miss

detlef

Wow, that was a horrible late hit call. Not sure it made a ton of difference though. Miss was moving the ball pretty easily, so I don't know if they'd have that much more trouble with 1st and goal from the 6 as the did with 1st and goal from the 3rd. None the less, both feet were in bounds when the defender hit him the runner was lowering his head looking for extra yards.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, at least this game and the Mich St game cleared up who the best 1L team in the country is

Stanford would dismantle this LSU team easily

ETA: Wisky as well

Wow! Got to wonder? :wacko: Did you even watch the fricken game? The CBS announcer even commented at the end of the game that this game let us all know why any 1 loss SEC team deserves to be in the BCS NC. Couldn't agree more. SEC no matter if it sounds cocky is by FAR the toughest conference in the nation. :tup:

are u serious with this? ya I watched the entire game, and wasn't impressed in the least......

I thnk both Stanford and Wisky are quite a bit better than this LSU team.

Stanford is so ridiculously solid and fundamental, Luck and company would pick them apart.

Not score? against this defense I just saw a piss poor Ole MIss put up on 400+ yds and 36 points :wacko: good stuff

obviously you guys have not watched Luck and Stanford AT ALL.

and I am more and more impressed by Wisky as the season progresses

are u serious with this? ya I watched the entire game, and wasn't impressed in the least......

You know how you thought Oregon's win last week was so impressive based off Cal's past. Well Ole Miss vs LSU used to be an awesome rivalry, however Ole Miss is the only team in that rivalry that plays like it. Just glance back a few seasons and see how the Rebels (Black Bears) play vs LSU. Awesome confident win by LSU. No panic in this ball club.

If Stanford played LSU's schedule they would be a 4 loss team.

OK, if Wildcat is not allowed to make a big deal about how great ASU is, you guys aren't allowed to keep pointing to Ole Miss as anything more than a 4-7 team. I think it was the lead-in to the Auburn game and now this one where somehow beating Ole Miss was pointed to as a sign of greatness.

The simple fact is, LSU, Mich St, Wisconsin, and Stanford all played talented teams that they should, none the less, have been able to out-class. Well, not Mich St., but the other three. Stanford ran theirs off the field, Wisconsin certainly took care of business, and the other two needed late TDs to win their games.

Gee, who'd have thunk? A CBS announcer pimping the SEC. Listen, I've gone on record dozens and dozens of times in saying I think the SEC is the strongest conference. I even did when I was defending the Pac 10. And maybe Ol Miss is the best 7 loss team in the country. But we've just spent a rather exhaustively tedious thread where everyone was making it abundantly clear that there's no such thing as a good 7 loss team. It's cool that LSU keeps finding ways to win, but very much not cool that they constantly have to pull wins out of their ass against teams that should have no business taking an elite team to the wire. Teams like Tenn, Ole Miss, FL... Maybe one, maybe even two, but this is becoming a habit.

OK, if Wildcat is not allowed to make a big deal about how great ASU is, you guys aren't allowed to keep pointing to Ole Miss as anything more than a 4-7 team. I think it was the lead-in to the Auburn game and now this one where somehow beating Ole Miss was pointed to as a sign of greatness.

The simple fact is, LSU, Mich St, Wisconsin, and Stanford all played talented teams that they should, none the less, have been able to out-class. Well, not Mich St., but the other three. Stanford ran theirs off the field, Wisconsin certainly took care of business, and the other two needed late TDs to win their games.

Gee, who'd have thunk? A CBS announcer pimping the SEC. Listen, I've gone on record dozens and dozens of times in saying I think the SEC is the strongest conference. I even did when I was defending the Pac 10. And maybe Ol Miss is the best 7 loss team in the country. But we've just spent a rather exhaustively tedious thread where everyone was making it abundantly clear that there's no such thing as a good 7 loss team. It's cool that LSU keeps finding ways to win, but very much not cool that they constantly have to pull wins out of their ass against teams that should have no business taking an elite team to the wire. Teams like Tenn, Ole Miss, FL... Maybe one, maybe even two, but this is becoming a habit.

How does Oregon State rout over USC affect your thoughts toward the PAC10? Seriously?

All I can say is thank the BCS for allowing computers to still have some input in the selection process. If not LSU would never have won a BCS NC, especially with guys that think like you in the media. Will you at least now admit, Coach Miles is a pretty good coach or do you still attribute his win/loss record all to luck? :wacko:

Edited by Rockerbraves

How does Oregon State rout over USC affect your thoughts toward the PAC10? Seriously?

All I can say is thank the BCS for allowing computers to still have some input in the selection process. If not LSU would never have won a BCS NC, especially with guys that think like you in the media. Will you at least now admit, Coach Miles is a pretty good coach or do you still attribute his win/loss record all to luck? :wacko:

Why would one Pac 10 team beating another affect my thoughts towards the Pac 10? It's a net zero sum argument. Besides, it's not like the Pac 10 is resting it's National hopes on USC. 1) USC is not a great team, they're a good one. One of the differences between a good team and a great one is that a good team is more likely to step on their dick against a decent team with enough talent to make you pay for not showing up. And that's exactly what OSU is. OSU is not a good team because they too, fail to compete week in and week out and fail more often than USC. However, like a team like, say Ole Miss, they're dangerous enough to make you pay if you mail it in.

Besides, I'm not saying the Pac 10 is better than the SEC. Never have.

Listen, I gave props to LSU for figuring how to keep winning, but a truly elite team shouldn't have to continue to pull out games vs decent but hardly great teams over and over again. That's really all. No other team in the top 10 has struggled as much as they have against teams that a truly elite team should be able to put away. And by "put away" I mean be up by at least a couple of scores down the stretch. Everyone may have one, maybe even two (not sure about that actually), but nothing like LSU.

ETA: According to the CBS 120 (the only ranking I could easily find that goes all the way to 120), the following teams took LSU to the wire: #42 WVU, #43 FL, #44 UNC, #70 Tenn, #72 Ole Miss. Now, in fairness, WVU merely "took them to the wire" in as much as they were within a score in the 4th, they never really threatened. However, the other 4 were very much right down to the wire, in the case of FL, Tenn, and Ole Miss, LSU actually trailed late in the 4th.

Sorry, that's a scrappy team, no doubt, but that is not a murderer's row of competition (at least this year) so that's not a particularly impressive batch of games for a team that wants to be thought of as elite. That's half of their wins right there. Against teams that are merely above average (average CBS 120 rank: 54.2), all of whom LSU barely pulled out.

Edited by detlef

well, at least this game and the Mich St game cleared up who the best 1L team in the country is

Stanford would dismantle this LSU team easily

ETA: Wisky as well

:wacko:

I've never seen someone point to things when they help their argument, but, completely discount them, if they hurt it more than you do. The PAC 10 is no where near as good as you think it is.

1. SEC

Lots of space

2. PAC 10/ Big 10 / Big 12

Just my :tup:

Did Michigan State not "Find a way" to win? Personally, Wisconsin is the best 1 loss team I've seen, followed closely by Ohio State, LSU and Stanford. Would not bet against any of those 4 teams, and would give them more than fair shots to beat any of the undefeateds, who the 2 teams that actually play real competition (Auburn and Oregon) are severely flawed, and the 2 that play JV ball (TCU and Boise) are completely untested. Any of those 1 loss teams, could beat those teams and I wouldn't come on here and say "WOW, never would've seen that coming!" Which is why I love my 12 team idea, but I never get response when I propose it to the folks in charge, so obviously, I don't matter. Oh well, I'll propose it again next year.

Did Michigan State not "Find a way" to win? Personally, Wisconsin is the best 1 loss team I've seen, followed closely by Ohio State, LSU and Stanford. Would not bet against any of those 4 teams, and would give them more than fair shots to beat any of the undefeateds, who the 2 teams that actually play real competition (Auburn and Oregon) are severely flawed, and the 2 that play JV ball (TCU and Boise) are completely untested. Any of those 1 loss teams, could beat those teams and I wouldn't come on here and say "WOW, never would've seen that coming!" Which is why I love my 12 team idea, but I never get response when I propose it to the folks in charge, so obviously, I don't matter. Oh well, I'll propose it again next year.

It looks like, to me, Wisconsin is the best 1-loss team. I think OSU is getting the benefit of having been ranked high at the beginning of the season. However, now that Miami and Iowa are likely to drop from the top 25, that gives them exactly zero wins vs top 25 teams. I think that puts them behind most of the 1-loss teams of consequence. Though ahead of MSU, in my opinion because they haven't struggled with average teams the way MSU has. Okie St is a huge wild card, of course.

I would rank them as such:

My top 10 overall would look something like this:

Auburn/OU basically 1 and 1a giving Auburn the nod due to being in a stronger conference

BSU/TCU basically 3 and 3a because both have looked great beating teams they should beat but BSU won the last time they played

5 Wisc (dismantling teams)

6 Stanford (by a hair over LSU because they don't feel the need to cannonize their QB after a career high 250 yds passing vs a 4-7 team)

7 LSU (too many ugly wins vs average teams but did beat Bama and played Auburn close)

8 Ohio St

9 OK St (I have no idea about this team but they can score a ton)

10 Bama

Edited by detlef

1. Auburn

2. Oregon

3. Wisconsin

4. Stanford

5. Ohio State

6. LSU

7. Oklahoma State

8. Michigan State

9. Boise State

10. TCU

Dude, you can't be serious. I get the bit about thinking there are 1 loss teams that should be ranked ahead of TCU and BSU, but have you seen Okie St's schedule? Their best win is against a team who's ranked behind BSU's best win and that's it. If you're going to hold BSU and TCU's schedule so much against them that you ignore basically everything else, I don't know why you give Okie St a pass. As for MSU, they're sneaking past very average teams. Sure, they have a great win against Wisc but they simply have done nothing to deserve the benefit of the doubt.

So, basically you're just trying to make a point and purposefully not thinking in order to do so.

detlef, it's the week in and week out grind. BSU's best win still hasn't beaten anyone, and lost to a average at best FCS team at home. TCU's best win went into South Bend the very next week and pretty much proved why the Mountain West isn't an AQ conference. My rankings are purely based on who deserves what. BSU and TCU don't deserve anything. They are very good squads, and perhaps could beat anyone. But they don't deserve it. Just my opinion. You play 1 good team and then 5 JV schools, then another good team... etc etc etc... sorry that isn't championship worthy if you're gonna say "At the end of this regular season, theres only 2 teams that get to play "for it all"". If there was a true playoff, that would be a different story.

detlef, it's the week in and week out grind. BSU's best win still hasn't beaten anyone, and lost to a average at best FCS team at home. TCU's best win went into South Bend the very next week and pretty much proved why the Mountain West isn't an AQ conference. My rankings are purely based on who deserves what. BSU and TCU don't deserve anything. They are very good squads, and perhaps could beat anyone. But they don't deserve it. Just my opinion. You play 1 good team and then 5 JV schools, then another good team... etc etc etc... sorry that isn't championship worthy if you're gonna say "At the end of this regular season, theres only 2 teams that get to play "for it all"". If there was a true playoff, that would be a different story.

So who, besides A&M has Okie State beaten?

Sat, Oct 16 at Texas Tech W 34-17 --

Sat, Oct 23 (14) Nebraska L 41-51 --

Sat, Oct 30 at Kansas State W 24-14 --

Sat, Nov 6 (22) Baylor W 55-28 --

Sat, Nov 13 at Texas W 33-16 --

Sat, Nov 20 at Kansas W 48-14 --

Sat, Nov 27 (16) Oklahoma 8:00 pm --

Again, in any year, that is a tougher grind to go through week in and week out, than the JV schedule that Boise plays. That is there last 7 games, not even including the Texas A & M game which you say is there only quality win (which you've still danced around your definition of quality, all we've gotten is a whatever way the wind blows to make the point) Now lets take a look at Boises last 7.

Sat, Oct 2 at New Mexico State W 59-0 --

Sat, Oct 9 Toledo W 57-14 --

Sat, Oct 16 at San Jose State W 48-0 --

Tue, Oct 26 Louisiana Tech W 49-20 --

Sat, Nov 6 Hawaii W 42-7 --

Fri, Nov 12 at Idaho W 52-14 --

Fri, Nov 19 Fresno State W 51-0

NMSU is arguablly the worst FBS team in the country, and San Jose State is right down there with them. Toledo is an improving team but I wouldn't even put them in the same class as the worst of the Big 12. La Tech isn't horrible, but again, they are bottom feeders in any BCS conference, including the Big East. Hawaii's claim to fame was taking USC to the limit, but again, they might be able to be a middle of the pac Big East team. Idaho? So you're left with a VERY impressive win vs Fresno State at home. Classic ESPN made sure to emphasize that Fresno was Bowl eligible in their year-long desperation to get Boise to that Championship game at any cost.

All 7 of those teams are at best below average (FSU and Hawaii) bad (La Tech and Toledo) and the absolute worst in the country (the rest) And all of them would struggle to finish not at the bottom of any BCS conference not including the Big East. Once again, there is something to be said for destroying these teams, but not enough to give them more respect than a club that grinds it out in a BCS conference week in and week out. Just my opinion.

The issue isn't whether or not I think Boise or TCU COULD OR COULDN'T compete in these conferences, the issue is that they don't. Maybe that's a tough pill to swallow but those last 7 games are downright pathetic.

Sat, Oct 16 at Texas Tech W 34-17 --

Sat, Oct 23 (14) Nebraska L 41-51 --

Sat, Oct 30 at Kansas State W 24-14 --

Sat, Nov 6 (22) Baylor W 55-28 --

Sat, Nov 13 at Texas W 33-16 --

Sat, Nov 20 at Kansas W 48-14 --

Sat, Nov 27 (16) Oklahoma 8:00 pm --

Again, in any year, that is a tougher grind to go through week in and week out, than the JV schedule that Boise plays. That is there last 7 games, not even including the Texas A & M game which you say is there only quality win (which you've still danced around your definition of quality, all we've gotten is a whatever way the wind blows to make the point) Now lets take a look at Boises last 7.

Sat, Oct 2 at New Mexico State W 59-0 --

Sat, Oct 9 Toledo W 57-14 --

Sat, Oct 16 at San Jose State W 48-0 --

Tue, Oct 26 Louisiana Tech W 49-20 --

Sat, Nov 6 Hawaii W 42-7 --

Fri, Nov 12 at Idaho W 52-14 --

Fri, Nov 19 Fresno State W 51-0

NMSU is arguablly the worst FBS team in the country, and San Jose State is right down there with them. Toledo is an improving team but I wouldn't even put them in the same class as the worst of the Big 12. La Tech isn't horrible, but again, they are bottom feeders in any BCS conference, including the Big East. Hawaii's claim to fame was taking USC to the limit, but again, they might be able to be a middle of the pac Big East team. Idaho? So you're left with a VERY impressive win vs Fresno State at home. Classic ESPN made sure to emphasize that Fresno was Bowl eligible in their year-long desperation to get Boise to that Championship game at any cost.

All 7 of those teams are at best below average (FSU and Hawaii) bad (La Tech and Toledo) and the absolute worst in the country (the rest) And all of them would struggle to finish not at the bottom of any BCS conference not including the Big East. Once again, there is something to be said for destroying these teams, but not enough to give them more respect than a club that grinds it out in a BCS conference week in and week out. Just my opinion.

The issue isn't whether or not I think Boise or TCU COULD OR COULDN'T compete in these conferences, the issue is that they don't. Maybe that's a tough pill to swallow but those last 7 games are downright pathetic.

Cute that you put Baylor's ranking when they played OSU when you were making your point. That's the same Baylor team that has basically dropped off the face of the earth.

I guess the only thing that matters to me is how often they've each played teams capable of beating them and how they've fared. Based on the CBS 120, BSU has played (or will play) 5 teams in the top 60 and OSU has played (or will play) 6. In the top 20, it's 2 and 3. That doesn't seem like a major difference. Not enough to trump the fact that one has a loss and the other doesn't. Sure, maybe if BSU had one more game in the top 20 and that game was vs Nebraska, they might lose it (though I don't think they would). Then they'd be even. Each having played exactly as many decent teams as the other, as many good teams as the other, and each with a loss against one of them. But that's not the case. So, the only thing that OSU has on them is one more game against someone good. A game that they lost. I thought you were the one who didn't like pointing to good losses.

That the bottom of OSU's schedule bottoms out with teams ranked in the 90s and BSU's is with teams ranked in the 110s just doesn't really matter to me. Nor should it to anyone. Because all those teams suck. It's just a matter of degrees. But in either case, you're likely playing out the string by late in the 3rd quarter anyway.

Sorry, but you picked the wrong team to try and make your point.

:wacko:

I've never seen someone point to things when they help their argument, but, completely discount them, if they hurt it more than you do. The PAC 10 is no where near as good as you think it is.

1. SEC

Lots of space

2. PAC 10/ Big 10 / Big 12

Just my :tup:

what in the world are you talking about? this is an LSU/Ole MIss thread

this isn't a conference thing - nice try

I happen to think Stanford and Wisky are both better football teams than LSU - I am hardly the only one

You know how you thought Oregon's win last week was so impressive based off Cal's past. Well Ole Miss vs LSU used to be an awesome rivalry, however Ole Miss is the only team in that rivalry that plays like it. Just glance back a few seasons and see how the Rebels (Black Bears) play vs LSU. Awesome confident win by LSU. No panic in this ball club.

If Stanford played LSU's schedule they would be a 4 loss team.

nonsense.

I said Oregon survive a game on the road and it was tougher than it appeared at first glance - hardly impressive.

The thing about the LSU game is they are hanging their hat on this tremendous defense, that just got lit up by a bad football team at home no less. The LSU high school offense isn't going to win them any big games - a team like Luck and Stanford's offense vs what I saw yesterday?? they would do whatever they wanted. Have you watched Stanford play? there is no QB in the country even close to Luck - he is that good

it would be ugly

what in the world are you talking about? this is an LSU/Ole MIss thread

this isn't a conference thing - nice try

I happen to think Stanford and Wisky are both better football teams than LSU - I am hardly the only one

I wrote it in this thread, but, my comment is based on reading all of your posts in the college forum.

It's ALWAYS a conference thing with you. ALWAYS.

Cute that you put Baylor's ranking when they played OSU when you were making your point. That's the same Baylor team that has basically dropped off the face of the earth.

I guess the only thing that matters to me is how often they've each played teams capable of beating them and how they've fared. Based on the CBS 120, BSU has played (or will play) 5 teams in the top 60 and OSU has played (or will play) 6. In the top 20, it's 2 and 3. That doesn't seem like a major difference. Not enough to trump the fact that one has a loss and the other doesn't. Sure, maybe if BSU had one more game in the top 20 and that game was vs Nebraska, they might lose it (though I don't think they would). Then they'd be even. Each having played exactly as many decent teams as the other, as many good teams as the other, and each with a loss against one of them. But that's not the case. So, the only thing that OSU has on them is one more game against someone good. A game that they lost. I thought you were the one who didn't like pointing to good losses.

That the bottom of OSU's schedule bottoms out with teams ranked in the 90s and BSU's is with teams ranked in the 110s just doesn't really matter to me. Nor should it to anyone. Because all those teams suck. It's just a matter of degrees. But in either case, you're likely playing out the string by late in the 3rd quarter anyway.

Sorry, but you picked the wrong team to try and make your point.

Didn't put the ranking, just copy-pasted from yahoo. And I really don't care what CBS has as rankings. Bottom feeders of major conferences schedule 1 or 2 teams like the teams Boise plays every week to get 1 or 2 wins (so they don't go completely winless, see teams like Indiana or Washington State). That's the difference. Those teams wouldn't win a game in any major conference. It's a pathetic schedule. Indiana and Washington State would be going to a bowl playing Boise and TCU's schedule. That's one of several differences. So just because CBS rates some 5 win Hawaii team, ahead of bottom feeders that have 1 or 2 wins means very little. Go down the schedules of the last 7 games. Tell me I'm wrong. Take the worst team on Oklahoma States schedule the past 7 games, and try and convince me that they, like Boise State, wouldn't beat the teams on Boise's schedule. Just a difference of opinion def. You respect them for the big epic win over Va Tech, I don't. You choose to overlook the sheer pathetic nature of the WAC Conference, and give no credit to BCS conferences, and underrate how difficult it is to play through that week in and week out. I don't.

I'm looking at the entire body of work for the 2010 season. Not 2009, not 2008. Boise destroys really really really bad teams that would struggle in FCS. Great that they destroy them, but really not enough to tell me that they deserve to be in the big game. If that is pre-determined before the season, then so be it. It may not be fair, but it damn sure isn't fair that you have all of these 1 loss teams that play better competition on a week to week basis with no margin for error, while Boise can play like complete crap and still win by 20 points (see La Tech game) because their opponent is that pathetic.