[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

BCS NC Game - Pecking Order

Rockerbraves

Bottom line LSU will not likely make it and I'm OK with that. Hopefully LSU is not thinking about anything else but Arkansas. Because they certainly can overlook the Hogs who are a 3 1/2 point favovite.

My point is that if for whatever reason Auburn were to stumble against a high caliber SEC team that it would be ashame to have a BCS NC without a team from a conference who continues to prove year end and year out to be the best in college football. My hope is just maybe there will be enough voters out there who agree.

C'mon dude, you need to get over this. The SEC has absolutely proven that they are, at least recently, the premier conference in the country. But there's still 100 teams in D-1A who aren't in it. That means that the SEC doesn't absolutely have to be part of the NC game every year. I'll even give you most years, but not every year. "Every" is a big freaking word.

I actually agree that the SEC has certainly earned the benefit of the doubt. So, in the all things being equal department, I'd say you give the SEC team the nod. But that doesn't sound like what you're advocating. What you seem to be advocating is that, if for some reason Auburn manages to lose it's spot, that the system somehow find a way to move either LSU or Bama from the 5 or 11 spot to the 2 spot. And that seems like a lot to ask. Regardless of how well the SEC has done in the NC game of late. This is not "winner's outs" or like they used to do in Wimbeldon where last year's champ just waited for everyone else to play and determine who'd face him in the final.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually agree that the SEC has certainly earned the benefit of the doubt. So, in the all things being equal department, I'd say you give the SEC team the nod.

That's exactly what I am advocating.

A one loss record in the SEC is an equal accomplishment to going undefeated in any non BCS conference espicially when your conference division in the SEC has 4 frickin teams ranked in the top 12. :wacko: .

Edited by Rockerbraves

That's exactly what I am advocating.

A one loss record in the SEC is an equal accomplishment to going undefeated in any non BCS conference. :wacko: .

Giving the benefit of the doubt "all things being equal" and basically forgiving losses entirely is not the same thing. So, no, what I'm saying and what you're advocating either initially or now in you're watered down version of what you were initially saying is not the same thing.

Because what it sounds like you're saying is that somehow, someway, an SEC team absolutely has to be a part of the NC game or there's no reason even playing it. And that's just silly.

Edited by detlef

My point is that if for whatever reason Auburn were to stumble against a high caliber SEC team that it would be ashame to have a BCS NC without a team from a conference who continues to prove year end and year out to be the best in college football. My hope is just maybe there will be enough voters out there who agree.

No one, and I mean no one, is going to even try and mount an argument that the SEC is the best and greatest college football conference top to bottom that God herself could have ever conceived of. OK? Can we get that out of the way before anyone lashes out at me about anything else?

College football and the method's used to determine a "national champion" is on the same par as figure skating. It's American Idol. It's Dancing with the Stars. It's the electoral college. It's stupid and ridiculous. And it's infuriating to try and wrap your head around on a weekly basis.

Yeah, Elvis Stojko/Alabama has the most talent of anyone in the competition, but when you go for a quad lutz and fall, you still fall, and when those Kris Allen/Oregon, TCU, or BSU gives a non-threatening performance that doesn't have homosexual undercurrents (except Oregon) that make a large portion of the people watching uncomfortable, then they're going to get the nod.

There is no use of the word "DESERVES" when it comes to the BCS. A conference doesn't deserve a spot because they are the best. It just so happens that this year, one of your teams may not have the right number under the L column in the standings. We have this stupid need to crown a champion in a game that used to be a lot more satisfying when all you wanted was your team to play in the Rose Bowl/Cotton Bowl/Sugar Bowl/Orange Bowl on January 1st.

No one, and I mean no one, is going to even try and mount an argument that the SEC is the best and greatest college football conference top to bottom that God herself could have ever conceived of. OK? Can we get that out of the way before anyone lashes out at me about anything else?

College football and the method's used to determine a "national champion" is on the same par as figure skating. It's American Idol. It's Dancing with the Stars. It's the electoral college. It's stupid and ridiculous. And it's infuriating to try and wrap your head around on a weekly basis.

Yeah, Elvis Stojko/Alabama has the most talent of anyone in the competition, but when you go for a quad lutz and fall, you still fall, and when those Kris Allen/Oregon, TCU, or BSU gives a non-threatening performance that doesn't have homosexual undercurrents (except Oregon) that make a large portion of the people watching uncomfortable, then they're going to get the nod.

There is no use of the word "DESERVES" when it comes to the BCS. A conference doesn't deserve a spot because they are the best. It just so happens that this year, one of your teams may not have the right number under the L column in the standings. We have this stupid need to crown a champion in a game that used to be a lot more satisfying when all you wanted was your team to play in the Rose Bowl/Cotton Bowl/Sugar Bowl/Orange Bowl on January 1st.

Fine analysis but for the fact that you failed to compare the hideous nature of both the OU and BSU unis to those the momos on skates wear. It was right there, tee'd up, and you left it for someone else.

Giving the benefit of the doubt "all things being equal" and basically forgiving losses entirely is not the same thing. So, no, what I'm saying and what you're advocating either initially or now in you're watered down version of what you were initially saying is not the same thing.

Because what it sounds like you're saying is that somehow, someway, an SEC team absolutely has to be a part of the NC game or there's no reason even playing it. And that's just silly.

No watering down. I simply stating that I believe a one loss SEC team is more deserving than an undeated WAC team. In regard to Alabama in my pecking order I'm saying should Bama knock off the #2 team in the BCS then they are every bit if not more ready to play for a BCS NC than any other one loss team in any other BCS conference other tha the SEC. And should Bama pull out the win over Auburn it reallly shouldn't be considered a HUGE upset because they entered the game as a 4 to 4 1/2 point favorite.

Rack him!

Arkansas beats LSU by at least 10 points. Mallett will be the difference. Arkansas is a better team than LSU this year.

That's what is special about the SEC. You have so many great teams that you never really get a week off. Look at this week the SEC has it's two highest ranked teams kicking off the game as underdogs. If this doesn't prove how awesome of a conference the SEC is I don't know what does.

That's what is special about the SEC. You have so many great teams that you never really get a week off. Look at this week the SEC has it's two highest ranked teams kicking off the game as underdogs. If this doesn't prove how awesome of a conference the SEC is I don't know what does.

You're right, the SEC is a damn good football conference

Wait for it ...............

Wait for it ..............

Pac 10 = Conference Of Champions!

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Oh, and as an aside, when discussing conferences that are doing nothing but beating each other up, you may want to remember that the Big 12 very well may have four 10-2 teams and one 9-3 team after this weekends' games. By Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Missouri, Nebraska and TAMU sitting at pretty much the same place, and no one team rising above the rest, the Big 12 has taken themselves out of the NC picture ... much the same way the SEC has done (assuming Bama holds the early lead on Auburn over the next three quarters).

Wow! Even though it would have helped my Tigers that was one heck of a come back. The more and more I think about it the best BCS NC game might be a Auburn/LSU rematch on a neutral field. :wacko:

I'm no college football expert but you show so much bias it's amazing. Instead of all this "most deserving" tripe, the record should be the only factor involved. An undefeated team should always be preferred over a one-loss team. Anything else looks like a swindle, something that college football is very familiar with.

I'm no college football expert but you show so much bias it's amazing. Instead of all this "most deserving" tripe, the record should be the only factor involved. An undefeated team should always be preferred over a one-loss team. Anything else looks like a swindle, something that college football is very familiar with.

I don't agree with the bolded statement. I could provide examples where I believe a 1-loss team should play for the BCS NC game over an undefeated team. However, none of these conversations would be needed if a playoff system was implemented.

I don't agree with the bolded statement. I could provide examples where I believe a 1-loss team should play for the BCS NC game over an undefeated team. However, none of these conversations would be needed if a playoff system was implemented.

The bolded part is important but it's opinion - "I believe". The cold hard fact is that 12-0 beats 11-1. Otherwise we may as well stop playing the games and just vote instead.

Oh wait........:wacko:

Edited by Ursa Majoris

The bolded part is important but it's opinion - "I believe". The cold hard fact is that 12-0 beats 11-1. Otherwise we may as well stop playing the games and just vote instead.

Oh wait........:wacko:

12-0 does not always beat 11-1 nor have the same meaning. Perhaps more directly, 12-0 in the Big East is likely not as impressive a feat as going 11-1 in the SEC, the Big 12, the Big 10 or the PAC 10. Those of us who love college football don't get a playoff system--don't make us potentially watch a Big East vs Boise State Nat'l Championship game.

Boise, Oregon, or TCU would all have at least 2 loses if they played Bama on the road, and games against LSU, Arkansas, and S Carolina twice.

Oregon now has beaten a soon to be unranked Zona, and USC, who both now have 4 loses and stanford who also hasnt beaten anyone ranked now.

Boise beats one team, Va Tech who loses to a division 2 team the next week after giving the game to Boise, and Nevada probably wont be ranked in next weeks BCS.

TCU hasnt beat anyone of substance now after the season has played out either.

IMO, I believe the most deserving teams to be playing for the title is LSU/Auburn. Those are the 2 best teams in the country. Id love to see Oregon play Bama in Bama, and see how bad that loss is for the pac-10. And Bama is now a 3 loss team.

Wow! Even though it would have helped my Tigers that was one heck of a come back. The more and more I think about it the best BCS NC game might be a Auburn/LSU rematch on a neutral field. :wacko:

As much as I like the senerio:

No Conf. Championship Game for LSU = No NC Game for LSU