[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big Ten Champs

Infinity

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

congrats on a nice year for Mich St., enjoy it, but be thankful you missed OSU and played one of the weakest con conferences schedules in the country.

Ohio State beats Sparty without much trouble imo

nothing personal at all, but Mich St is the most overrated team in FBS. They have 1 quality win vs Wisky, got lucky and missed OSU and the Big 10 frankly is just not very good this year.

Sparty would be a big underdog against any top 15 team on a neutral field

and the Big 10 frankly is just not very good this year.

Based on what? Your 'eye test'? You're the one that needs an eye exam then. Come Bowl Season, Wisco will maul their opponent; sending opposing LBs into the ER, Ohio State will win another BCS game and the rest of the Big-10 will acquit themselves well again; which will also include further improving their already solid record vs. the SEC in bowl games.

The most over rated team in the top 10 is Stanford, who didnt beat a top 25 opponent all year, after Zona loses its 4th game of the season. When a 4 loss team is your best win of the season, you do not deserve to be in the top 10, especially when your only top 25 opponent is a 21 pt loss to Oregon. And how convenient for Stanford to be sent to the Orange bowl to face the Big East or ACC Champ. TCU vs Wisky would both pummel them, instead that will be a great matchup.

Based on what? Your 'eye test'? You're the one that needs an eye exam then. Come Bowl Season, Wisco will maul their opponent; sending opposing LBs into the ER, Ohio State will win another BCS game and the rest of the Big-10 will acquit themselves well again; which will also include further improving their already solid record vs. the SEC in bowl games.

While I think saying the Big 10 is weak is an overstatement, I do think it is quite top-heavy. And I also think that has a ton to do with why there are 3 1-loss teams.

Wisconsin looks flat-out great. I don't think anyone can deny that. The way they are scoring, you'd have to give it up regardless of who they were doing it against. That said, it looks like they must have flipped a switch at some point considering that they barely escaped a home game vs ASU and also lost to a MSU team that I've now seen a few times and just never seems to look all that great regardless of how average the opponent. A MSU team that is the only team among those near the top 10 to get completely dominated and blown out in a game this year. No less, by a team that just lost to a cellar dweller and now has 5 losses on the year.

I also think OSU was overrated at the beginning and, honestly, hasn't really done much to change that opinion. When they took care of Miami, that looked better at the time because Miami has gone on to be pretty mediocre. They had to pull it out of their ass against an Iowa team that was in the middle of a 4 game slide that included losses by about as much as they lost to OSU to the two worst teams in the league and a decent but not particularly good Northwestern team. I mean, what "good" team has OSU beaten this year? Sure they looked good yesterday, but Michigan was stepping it's dick all day long and are half a team to begin with.

None the less, this is not the first time we've seen this. Three schools who manage to not play head to head to head and all feast on a very much down lower half of the league. Last time we saw this, two of the three got beaten badly in their bowl games. But, just because we recognize the names, doesn't mean the teams are that good. Penn St, Michigan, Illinois, etc. Sure, they sound better than most, but all that matters is the effort on the field. And the bottom of the barrel, with Minn and Indy, is about as bottom as it gets.

Edited by detlef

Wisconsin and Ohio State are both outstanding. Michigan State plays down to their opponents but they still win. Yes the conference is top-heavy, but so is every other conference. I've said that all year long. Every conference is 2 or 3 really good teams, and then some teams that you're unsure about, including the SEC. Big Ten was hurt by Iowa falling apart down the stretch. In regards to Michigan State, this is nothing new. Just because you win close games doesn't mean you aren't any good. 1998 Tennessee Vols were one of the luckiest teams I've ever seen in my life, but kept winning. Same can be said for the 2002 Buckeyes. I hope that the SEC team facing Sparty in the Capital One Bowl does sleep on them, because they will be snakebitten if they do, just a fair warning.

While I think saying the Big 10 is weak is an overstatement, I do think it is quite top-heavy. And I also think that has a ton to do with why there are 3 1-loss teams.

Wisconsin looks flat-out great. I don't think anyone can deny that. The way they are scoring, you'd have to give it up regardless of who they were doing it against. That said, it looks like they must have flipped a switch at some point considering that they barely escaped a home game vs ASU and also lost to a MSU team that I've now seen a few times and just never seems to look all that great regardless of how average the opponent. A MSU team that is the only team among those near the top 10 to get completely dominated and blown out in a game this year. No less, by a team that just lost to a cellar dweller and now has 5 losses on the year.

None the less, this is not the first time we've seen this. Three schools who manage to not play head to head to head and all feast on a very much down lower half of the league. Last time we saw this, two of the three got beaten badly in their bowl games. But, just because we recognize the names, doesn't mean the teams are that good. Penn St, Michigan, Illinois, etc. Sure, they sound better than most, but all that matters is the effort on the field. And the bottom of the barrel, with Minn and Indy, is about as bottom as it gets.

I do agree about MSU. They seem to have overachieved this year and seem over-rated a tad. Perhaps some of it is because they don't have a single standout grabbing the highlights; nor do they do anything particularly flashy. Just fundamentally sound. Dantonio afterall is from the Tressel school of coaching.

Actually the middle of the B-10 is pretty decent and the bottom is just like the bottom of any other conference; it stinks. I do think the past few years, the conference has been on an upswing and this will be proven out in the bowl season. Guess we'll see.

As far as name recognition, if anyone actually benefits from it even more than the Big-10, it is the SEC. Names such as Florida, Jawja and Ole Miss are thrown out as part of a 'running the gauntlet' sentiment around the brutish SEC schedule; when in reality, these are just mediocre teams this year.

I do agree about MSU. They seem to have overachieved this year and seem over-rated a tad. Perhaps some of it is because they don't have a single standout grabbing the highlights; nor do they do anything particularly flashy. Just fundamentally sound. Dantonio afterall is from the Tressel school of coaching.

Actually the middle of the B-10 is pretty decent and the bottom is just like the bottom of any other conference; it stinks. I do think the past few years, the conference has been on an upswing and this will be proven out in the bowl season. Guess we'll see.

As far as name recognition, if anyone actually benefits from it even more than the Big-10, it is the SEC. Names such as Florida, Jawja and Ole Miss are thrown out as part of a 'running the gauntlet' sentiment around the brutish SEC schedule; when in reality, these are just mediocre teams this year.

I guess we'll have to wait to the bowl season to see, because I just went back and looked and didn't see where they did anything to show that. Sure, Michigan beat UConn badly in week 1, but that could have as much to do with the fact that the Big East is just horrible this year. Iowa lost by 2 TDs to Zona and their huge win vs MSU may simply be a function of MSU playing with fire all year long and finally blowing up.

Like pretty much every BCS conference, we are left with a circular argument. They look good because they beat up on each other all season. Maybe that means they're all good, maybe that means they all suck. Nobody knows, because the whole thing lacks the context that everyone scheduling legit OOC games would provide. You get that in hoops because you don't have to run the table to have a shot at the NC. For instance, if Duke takes care of MSU this week, they will have proven themselves vs what should be the best of the Big 12 and Big 10. Then, regardless of how the ACC looks, nobody will question their standing in the nation. (Wow, that hurt to write).

So, again, we guess. And then we hope that the bowl match-ups are actually accurate to solve this. But there's a good chance that even that gets effed up.

But the way things are shaking out, that doesn't look promising. I do pray that at least this guy's prediction of the Orange Bowl is correct so we can at least waste the two worst teams in the BCS on each other.

IBut the way things are shaking out, that doesn't look promising. I do pray that at least this guy's prediction of the Orange Bowl is correct so we can at least waste the two worst teams in the BCS on each other.

Talk about a direct slap in the face to Stanford and an embarrassmentt to PAC 10 football should the Orange Bowl go this route and take UConn.

Especially since UConn isn't known for much of a fan base either and Stanford has to be considered a better TV draw?

Wisconsin and Ohio State are both outstanding. Michigan State plays down to their opponents but they still win. Yes the conference is top-heavy, but so is every other conference. I've said that all year long. Every conference is 2 or 3 really good teams, and then some teams that you're unsure about, including the SEC. Big Ten was hurt by Iowa falling apart down the stretch. In regards to Michigan State, this is nothing new. Just because you win close games doesn't mean you aren't any good. 1998 Tennessee Vols were one of the luckiest teams I've ever seen in my life, but kept winning. Same can be said for the 2002 Buckeyes. I hope that the SEC team facing Sparty in the Capital One Bowl does sleep on them, because they will be snakebitten if they do, just a fair warning.

The '98 Vols are likely the worst NC Champ I can remember and I'm a bit of a Vols fan. Hell, the NC game itself was a joke because the FSU team they beat was onto it's 3rd string QB, I think. And the game was ugly. Thing about the '02 Buckeyes, is that, at least they beat the team everyone thought was a great team in the NC game. I can't help but think that MSU caught Wisc in a bit of a slump or that game does not go down that way.

Just curious what you base your opinion of OSU on? Do you think they could be doing what Wisconsin is doing and are just too "classy" to not do? Because I'm struggling to find even one thing to point to.

Talk about a direct slap in the face to Stanford and an embarrassmentt to PAC 10 football should the Orange Bowl go this route and take UConn.

Especially since UConn isn't known for much of a fan base either and Stanford has to be considered a better TV draw?

Let's just say that I hope they get "dissed". If for no other reason than Living la Sgt Loco is talking so much crap about them and his Snooners could end up playing them in AZ.

Arn't you a Michigan fan? :wacko:

Any word in regard to the coaching situation at Michigan?

No, but the locals want Harbaugh bad. Not as much love for the Hat. The AD, who comes from a corporate background, is going to evaluate the situation after the season. My gut feel is Rod will be chopped after the bowl game. Just too many excuses and not enough proof of improvement.

do you honestly believe Sparty is a #7 team in the country?? I don't not by a longshot. They played a joke non conference, beat Wisky 2 months ago and have been riding that along with beating up on bad Big 10 teams. Solid enough team, but top 7, top 10?? not a chance. That team is smoke and mirrors

I think Wisky has grown into a damn good team and I think OSU is very good as well.

would anyone want any part of Wisky, Stanford and Ark right now??

do you honestly believe Sparty is a #7 team in the country?? I don't not by a longshot. They played a joke non conference, beat Wisky 2 months ago and have been riding that along with beating up on bad Big 10 teams. Solid enough team, but top 7, top 10?? not a chance. That team is smoke and mirrors

I think Wisky has grown into a damn good team and I think OSU is very good as well.

would anyone want any part of Wisky, Stanford and Ark right now??

As far as what you said about Wisky, Stanford, and Arkansas... about the smartest thing I've ever seen you say. Those teams are scary.

As far as what you said about Wisky, Stanford, and Arkansas... about the smartest thing I've ever seen you say. Those teams are scary.

gee thanks - cmon even the biggest Big 10 homer has to think Mich St, just maybe doesn't belong where they are...........

just like ur poiint on Boise, w-l doesn't tell the whole story. That team was FORTUNATE many times this year, not including missing OSU and playing cupcake non conference games. Sparty drops 3-4 playing a full Pac 10 or SEC schedule

gee thanks - cmon even the biggest Big 10 homer has to think Mich St, just maybe doesn't belong where they are...........

just like ur poiint on Boise, w-l doesn't tell the whole story. That team was FORTUNATE many times this year, not including missing OSU and playing cupcake non conference games. Sparty drops 3-4 playing a full Pac 10 or SEC schedule

Now thats the wildcat I know.

Let's just say that I hope they get "dissed". If for no other reason than Living la Sgt Loco is talking so much crap about them and his Snooners could end up playing them in AZ.

OU beat their ass last yr in the bowl. Nothing would be more rewarding than the Big 12 Champ thumping Stanford and having people say, man we were way off about this team. In fact in tonights BCS, they mentioned how weak the Pac-10 was, with only 3 bowl eligible teams at the moment. Kinda chuckled as ive been saying that for a while. Also if Oregon loses, they drop like a stone, but Auburn could potentially lose next week and not fall past #2.

Edited by Living the Dream