[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big Ten Champs

Infinity

Let's just say that I hope they get "dissed". If for no other reason than Living la Sgt Loco is talking so much crap about them and his Snooners could end up playing them in AZ.

I am praying that Stanford plays OU in a bowl. They'll kick their A$$ worse than SC did a few years ago. Please .....

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am praying that Stanford plays OU in a bowl. They'll kick their A$$ worse than SC did a few years ago. Please .....

LMAO, OU beat them last yr in the bowl, with a freshman at QB, and Stanford had Gerhart.

That was the highlight of the Pac-10 fan of the last 25 yrs, it was the only true NC this conference has won since 1978.

And I hope washington gets past 2-9 wash st this week, and they make it to the Holiday bowl. Big 12 vs Pac-10

Edited by Living the Dream

LMAO, OU beat them last yr in the bowl, with a freshman at QB, and Stanford had Gerhart.

That was the highlight of the Pac-10 fan of the last 25 yrs, it was the only true NC this conference has won since 1978.

And I hope washington gets past 2-9 wash st this week, and they make it to the Holiday bowl. Big 12 vs Pac-10

Like I said, I would love to see Stanford expose them .... and you!

Still waiting for your story? :wacko: Fraud.

Like I said, I would love to see Stanford expose them .... and you!

Still waiting for your story? :wacko: Fraud.

yea stanford is going to expose me. Im not sure who is a bigger idiot, you or wildcat. Both clueless as it gets, and embarass yourselves with every post. Only difference is wildcat gets exposed by so many, and you dont post as much, but when you do, we get this clueless crap above.

What story you idiot. If there was a story, you think Id share it with you? Now, Go get back in Jake Lockers jock where you belong.

yea stanford is going to expose me. Im not sure who is a bigger idiot, you or wildcat. Both clueless as it gets, and embarass yourselves with every post. Only difference is wildcat gets exposed by so many, and you dont post as much, but when you do, we get this clueless crap above.

What story you idiot. If there was a story, you think Id share it with you? Now, Go get back in Jake Lockers jock where you belong.

Come On Man! Quit hiding.

What's the story behind ALL the aliases. :tup: What are you scared of?

Why the need to hide? Inquiring minds need to know. :wacko:

The big ten needs to be a respect conference. Yes, the SEC is the SEC and is college football. But when any of those teams OSU, WISC, or even my spartans come to play. They Come to play and can win games. It doesn't matter if you win by 50 points or 1. A win is a win, and good teams find ways to win which is exactly what michigan state has done all year. Iowa even with their quantity of losses is still Iowa and still is a team that shouldnt be labeled as garbage.

What pisses me off about "BCS bids" is that how are they giving one to VT, WVU. UConn. But do not give one to any of the other top 10 teams that would literally crush the hopes and dreams of any of those listed above. WVU lost homecoming. Uconn is garbage. VT is the best out of those three and they would still get beat.

The big ten needs to be a respect conference. Yes, the SEC is the SEC and is college football. But when any of those teams OSU, WISC, or even my spartans come to play. They Come to play and can win games. It doesn't matter if you win by 50 points or 1. A win is a win, and good teams find ways to win which is exactly what michigan state has done all year. Iowa even with their quantity of losses is still Iowa and still is a team that shouldnt be labeled as garbage.

What pisses me off about "BCS bids" is that how are they giving one to VT, WVU. UConn. But do not give one to any of the other top 10 teams that would literally crush the hopes and dreams of any of those listed above. WVU lost homecoming. Uconn is garbage. VT is the best out of those three and they would still get beat.

For starters, V Tech is a better team than plenty of teams that your beloved Spartans needed last minute heroics to beat and are also better than the team that completely took MSU apart. So I wouldn't wish for a date with them, if that's what you're implying. Not that I don't agree with you that neither they nor UConn/WVU deserve a BCS game. On the other hand, I'd be more pissed if one of them got a play-off spot over a more deserving team because then it would actually matter.

I don't think anyone labeling Iowa as garbage, though they certainly are playing like garbage down the stretch. Going 0-3 to end the season, with with losses vs NWestern and Minn (not to mention a narrow victory vs Indiana)? Sorry, but that's not what a "good" team does.

At any rate, I think the Big 10 absolutely gets the benefit of the doubt. You guys have 3 teams in the top 10. One of those teams, OSU has beaten nobody good at all. Their best win is a 3 point, come from behind victory over Iowa who was in the midst of the three game skid I mentioned above. The only good wins over good teams that Wisconsin and MSU have are against the teams in question, which means nothing when creating a context of where those teams stack up in the National picture.

I'm still waiting for anyone to point to one bit of evidence that supports why OSU is a great or even very good team. I mean it really puts OSU's a-hole of a president's inane rant into perspective that OSU's SOS is pedestrian at best. Depending on which ranking you're looking at, they're somewhere between 45 and 64. Which is ahead of Boise St in only one of the three rankings I found and worst among every team at the top save TCU and Wisconsin. Michigan St, btw, is barely ahead of them. And, unlike Wisconsin, who's schedule is also not loaded, they're not taking teams to the woodshed every week of late. Oh, they're winning alright. And if their schedule was loaded with good to very good teams, that would be fine. But it's not. It's loaded with teams whose names we recognize but are simply above average at best. I mean, Michigan's coach is on fire-watch right now. If he goes, that's two teams they played this year who you would typically consider a "good win" who are playing so poorly their coaches got fired. Sorry, but they absolutely skated this year and you guys are going to need to do more than puff up your chest and say, "We're the Big 10, we deserve respect" to show otherwise. Honestly, I'm ready to be shown where I'm wrong here. But you need to actually produce something.

Again, I do think Wisconsin passes the "eye ball" test because they're just flat-out crushing teams (at least in the 2nd half of the season). However, there is an interesting wrinkle that I hadn't noticed until this morning. There's a damned good reason why MSU should actually be Big 10 Champ. Unfortunately, there's no head to head to head. But in what common games there are between the three, MSU is 1-0, Wisc is 1-1, and OSU is 0-1.

Edited by detlef

For starters, V Tech is a better team than plenty of teams that your beloved Spartans needed last minute heroics to beat and are also better than the team that completely took MSU apart. So I wouldn't wish for a date with them, if that's what you're implying. Not that I don't agree with you that neither they nor UConn/WVU deserve a BCS game. On the other hand, I'd be more pissed if one of them got a play-off spot over a more deserving team because then it would actually matter.

I don't think anyone labeling Iowa as garbage, though they certainly are playing like garbage down the stretch. Going 0-3 to end the season, with with losses vs NWestern and Minn (not to mention a narrow victory vs Indiana)? Sorry, but that's not what a "good" team does.

At any rate, I think the Big 10 absolutely gets the benefit of the doubt. You guys have 3 teams in the top 10. One of those teams, OSU has beaten nobody good at all. Their best win is a 3 point, come from behind victory over Iowa who was in the midst of the three game skid I mentioned above. The only good wins over good teams that Wisconsin and MSU have are against the teams in question, which means nothing when creating a context of where those teams stack up in the National picture.

I'm still waiting for anyone to point to one bit of evidence that supports why OSU is a great or even very good team. I mean it really puts OSU's a-hole of a president's inane rant into perspective that OSU's SOS is pedestrian at best. Depending on which ranking you're looking at, they're somewhere between 45 and 64. Which is ahead of Boise St in only one of the three rankings I found and worst among every team at the top save TCU and Wisconsin. Michigan St, btw, is barely ahead of them. And, unlike Wisconsin, who's schedule is also not loaded, they're not taking teams to the woodshed every week of late. Oh, they're winning alright. And if their schedule was loaded with good to very good teams, that would be fine. But it's not. It's loaded with teams whose names we recognize but are simply above average at best. I mean, Michigan's coach is on fire-watch right now. If he goes, that's two teams they played this year who you would typically consider a "good win" who are playing so poorly their coaches got fired. Sorry, but they absolutely skated this year and you guys are going to need to do more than puff up your chest and say, "We're the Big 10, we deserve respect" to show otherwise. Honestly, I'm ready to be shown where I'm wrong here. But you need to actually produce something.

Again, I do think Wisconsin passes the "eye ball" test because they're just flat-out crushing teams (at least in the 2nd half of the season). However, there is an interesting wrinkle that I hadn't noticed until this morning. There's a damned good reason why MSU should actually be Big 10 Champ. Unfortunately, there's no head to head to head. But in what common games there are between the three, MSU is 1-0, Wisc is 1-1, and OSU is 0-1.

I think MSU is being disrespected. I will give them more than a fair shot to beat SEC #3 (or #4 depending on how you want to look at it) in the Capital One Bowl. You talk about Iowa losing their final 3, exactly what does losing to James Madison (6-5, 8th place in their FCS conference) say about Virginia Tech? I don't think they are better than Wisconsin (if they played now Wisky would win) or Ohio State, but what has Virginia Tech done? The ACC is pretty bad (as evident by their beatdowns they've received in non conference). All MSU has done is won. They handily beat Wisconsin, won at Happy Valley for the first time ever (again PSU is down, but you don't just go into Beaver Stadium and expect an easy win) , and the truth is we can only speculate what would happen between them and Ohio State. I think they would match up pretty well with them, but I do think the Buckeyes are better (and Ohio State has the best defense in the country, they had 1 bad half in Madison, and that has been the difference for them) .

Oddly enough, if it was the old Big Ten tiebreaker, Michigan State would be going to Pasadena right now, no need for the BCS. In this scenario, the bid would go to whichever team had not been to the Rose Bowl last. Michigan State hasn't been since 1987. Wisconsin in 1999. Ohio State obviously last year.

I think MSU is being disrespected. I will give them more than a fair shot to beat SEC #3 (or #4 depending on how you want to look at it) in the Capital One Bowl. You talk about Iowa losing their final 3, exactly what does losing to James Madison (6-5, 8th place in their FCS conference) say about Virginia Tech? I don't think they are better than Wisconsin (if they played now Wisky would win) or Ohio State, but what has Virginia Tech done? The ACC is pretty bad (as evident by their beatdowns they've received in non conference). All MSU has done is won. They handily beat Wisconsin, won at Happy Valley for the first time ever (again PSU is down, but you don't just go into Beaver Stadium and expect an easy win) , and the truth is we can only speculate what would happen between them and Ohio State. I think they would match up pretty well with them, but I do think the Buckeyes are better (and Ohio State has the best defense in the country, they had 1 bad half in Madison, and that has been the difference for them) .

Oddly enough, if it was the old Big Ten tiebreaker, Michigan State would be going to Pasadena right now, no need for the BCS. In this scenario, the bid would go to whichever team had not been to the Rose Bowl last. Michigan State hasn't been since 1987. Wisconsin in 1999. Ohio State obviously last year.

Listen, I'm not saying V Tech is all that. I'm saying they're at least as good as Iowa, Notre Dame, N'Western, and Purdue. All of whom either gave MSU all they could handle or significantly more. And, while I agree that whichever SEC team plays them better not take them lightly. Provided they don't, I don't expect MSU to win.

So, is that the OSU evidence I was waiting for? That they allow the 3rd fewest points per game in the FBS? Thanks. Sort of digging there, aren't you?

Listen, I'm not saying V Tech is all that. I'm saying they're at least as good as Iowa, Notre Dame, N'Western, and Purdue. All of whom either gave MSU all they could handle or significantly more. And, while I agree that whichever SEC team plays them better not take them lightly. Provided they don't, I don't expect MSU to win.

So, is that the OSU evidence I was waiting for? That they allow the 3rd fewest points per game in the FBS? Thanks. Sort of digging there, aren't you?

The OSU evidence, is watch them. The team is LOADED with NFL talent. What is hard to understand about that? I suppose that you're gonna say they don't schedule hard. It's there fault that Miami is merely average. They came into the season after completely shutting down the unstoppable Oregon offense in the Rose Bowl, and haven't looked back. And I fully expect them to beat Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl if that game happens. But I suppose that won't impress you either.

The OSU evidence, is watch them. The team is LOADED with NFL talent. What is hard to understand about that? I suppose that you're gonna say they don't schedule hard. It's there fault that Miami is merely average. They came into the season after completely shutting down the unstoppable Oregon offense in the Rose Bowl, and haven't looked back. And I fully expect them to beat Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl if that game happens. But I suppose that won't impress you either.

First off, if they beat Arkansas, I'll certainly be impressed. Just because I had to ask the question 5 times before I got anything, doesn't mean I'm incapable of being convinced.

As far as being loaded with NFL talent, I'm more interested in results. And in college ball, where so few teams play many teams that are good enough to beat them even if you just play pretty good, then I do think it matters how you look doing so. And, as I look again, they've taken care of business, at least at home. No, it's not their fault that Miami, Michigan, and Penn St. aren't better than they are. That doesn't change the fact that none of them are very good this year. I don't understand why the "it's not their fault" bit gets brought up every time a team's SOS is brought up. Especially by people who insist on reminding everyone that we're just talking about this year whenever it's convenient to do so.

First off, if they beat Arkansas, I'll certainly be impressed. Just because I had to ask the question 5 times before I got anything, doesn't mean I'm incapable of being convinced.

As far as being loaded with NFL talent, I'm more interested in results. And in college ball, where so few teams play many teams that are good enough to beat them even if you just play pretty good, then I do think it matters how you look doing so. And, as I look again, they've taken care of business, at least at home. No, it's not their fault that Miami, Michigan, and Penn St. aren't better than they are. That doesn't change the fact that none of them are very good this year. I don't understand why the "it's not their fault" bit gets brought up every time a team's SOS is brought up. Especially by people who insist on reminding everyone that we're just talking about this year whenever it's convenient to do so.

I'm still not sure why Ohio State is being brought up in the first place. Are they in the National Championship discussion and I just didn't know about it or what? Is it because of that Gee guy? Whoopty doo. Some good old boy says what a lot of people already feel, and does it in an incoherent way, and I'm supposed to care? In the other thread you said "lets disregard the AQ" schools. Ok fine. When have I argued that that Big Ten is better than the SEC. Or any other conference? So again, why was it brought up? I agree, show me results on the field. You're the one who says you can't tell anything by conference teams beating up on other conference teams. What has the SEC done? How good IS Auburn? I think they are damn good, but your argument suggests that they haven't proven anything, because they've only beaten fellow SEC teams.

I'm still not sure why Ohio State is being brought up in the first place. Are they in the National Championship discussion and I just didn't know about it or what? Is it because of that Gee guy? Whoopty doo. Some good old boy says what a lot of people already feel, and does it in an incoherent way, and I'm supposed to care? In the other thread you said "lets disregard the AQ" schools. Ok fine. When have I argued that that Big Ten is better than the SEC. Or any other conference? So again, why was it brought up? I agree, show me results on the field. You're the one who says you can't tell anything by conference teams beating up on other conference teams. What has the SEC done? How good IS Auburn? I think they are damn good, but your argument suggests that they haven't proven anything, because they've only beaten fellow SEC teams.

1) They're brought up because this is a thread about the Big 10 and they're the co-champs.

2) You'll see I've answered the question about what the SEC has done and, for that matter what all of the big four have done OOC against other BCS schools that have qualified for bowls. I answered it in the "when was the last time" thread. So, I actually should eat some crow. The SEC has shown it against other conferences. Mind you, not in any super impressive way, but more so than anyone else.

Edited by detlef

disrespected? they are #8 in the BCS- what are u talking about? the computers have it right tho- somewhere areound 11+. Just not impressed by a top 10 team that has beaten no one in 2 months, needed 2 TD in the final 2 minutes to beat NW and the late miracle win vs Purdue. Sorry, just not a top 8 team. I give OSU the benefit of the doubt just based on the fact they have beaten people in somewhat impressive fashion, and ur right their D is very good Both OSU and MSU have SOS in the 60's - well done. That team has done it with smoke and mirrors and is middle of the road in the SEC or Pac 10 - I just can't see a team that pedestrian going through a full Pac 10 or SEC slate with 1 loss- WOULDNT HAPPEN.

they had a nice year and should be happy where they are.

disrespected? they are #8 in the BCS- what are u talking about? the computers have it right tho- somewhere areound 11+. Just not impressed by a top 10 team that has beaten no one in 2 months, needed 2 TD in the final 2 minutes to beat NW and the late miracle win vs Purdue. Sorry, just not a top 8 team. I give OSU the benefit of the doubt just based on the fact they have beaten people in somewhat impressive fashion, and ur right their D is very good Both OSU and MSU have SOS in the 60's - well done. That team has done it with smoke and mirrors and is middle of the road in the SEC or Pac 10 - I just can't see a team that pedestrian going through a full Pac 10 or SEC slate with 1 loss- WOULDNT HAPPEN.

they had a nice year and should be happy where they are.

Granted I'm a huge spartan fan going to school here, but I look at it with any team and say "good team find ways to win".

Granted I'm a huge spartan fan going to school here, but I look at it with any team and say "good team find ways to win".

But this is college football. Teams don't play good teams often enough for that to be enough. It's enough for Auburn because everyone recognizes their conference schedule as being the toughest out there. But nobody from any other conference is going to get the benefit of the doubt. So you need to slide them to the back of the 1-loss pack based on how they've done against average teams.

I know this isn't a tie breaker thing but does anyone know how the 3 teams do record wise against like opponents?

FWIW, I can totally see why conferences with championship games go with the BCS tie-break, but not so much with those that don't. Without a championship game, not doing so will not cost that conference a shot at the NC game because the BCS will speak to that. If, for instance, OSU and Wisky were both 1 loss teams and one of them was #2, that team would go, even if that team's only loss was to the other and, by virtue of that, they lost the league crown to them. We've established that there's no rule against not wining your conference (even if there should be).

On the other hand, they could deprive themselves a bid. Say it's the same situation. OSU is #2 with one loss to a Wisconsin team that has a really bad loss and, as such, is ranked closer to #10. Or, hell, maybe Wisconsin has 2 losses, one OOC. And they're ranked outside the top 10. If the Big 10 makes OSU the champ, they'll still get the NC game but that may be it. If they make Wisky the champ, by virtue of head to head tie break, that won't change OSU's ranking but will mean Wisky gets the auto-bid to a lesser BCS bowl.

With the championship game it makes all the sense in the world. You want to give your highest ranked team the best chance of getting another good win and jumping someone into the big game. But, lacking that championship game, what does that team get out of it?

I should add, that there's no tie-break more lame than whomever hasn't been there in the longest time gets to go. I know the Pac 10 at least used to do this (maybe they still do), but that's just lame.

Edited by detlef

Well MSU's only loss was to Iowa. Wisconsin and Ohio State beat Iowa. Any other common opponent would be a win.

Why Stanford is the best 1L team - and the Pac 10 is the nations toughest conference by Ted Miller ESPN Pac 10 Blog Writer.................

Stanford is better than your team because it's got a better quarterback than your team. Stanford is better than your team because your team hasn't shut out three BCS conference opponents this year. Stanford is better than your team because its offensive line would make your defensive front cry uncle. Stanford is better than your team because it's ranked eighth in the nation in scoring offense and 11th in scoring defense, and no other BCS conference team can match that.

And, finally, Stanford is better than your team because its coach can kick your coach's butt.

Andrew Luck finished the season with more than 3,000 passing yards and 28 touchdowns.Stanford is 11-1 playing against the nation's eighth toughest schedule in the nation's toughest conference, according to the highly respected Sagarin Ratings. Its only loss came at Oregon, which is No. 1 in all the major polls and No. 2 in the BCS standings.

Ewwww. Yuck. Heads just exploded everywhere outside the West Coast.

Are we being intentionally provocative and just a bit disingenuous? Yes. Why? Because those who follow Pac-10 football get to be provocative and disingenuous at this time every year because you get so much lunkheaded and disingenuous analysis that questions the quality of the nation's toughest conference.

No, we are not saying the Pac-10 is the nation's "best" conference. It's the toughest because it plays by different rules, and Stanford's stunning success playing by those rules sets it apart.

The Pac-10 plays nine conference games, which no other conference does. That means five more defeats are guaranteed to be scattered throughout the conference every season, thereby making it a mathematical fact that it's more difficult to become bowl eligible in the Pac-10 than any other conference.

The Pac-10 plays the most challenging nonconference schedule among the BCS conferences. Not only has it played six top-17 teams in the current BCS standings, it played five of them all on the road. And that list doesn't include Iowa, Texas, Notre Dame, Tennessee and BYU.

That combination of nine conference games and tough nonconference scheduling also leads to this: No Pac-10 team played fewer than five road games this year. Seven played six -- including Oregon and Stanford -- and USC played seven.

Contrast that with other top-10 BCS programs: Auburn (four road games), Wisconsin (five), Ohio State (four), Arkansas (four), Michigan State (four), Oklahoma (five) and LSU (four).

If you don't believe playing two fewer road games a season is a huge advantage, you know nothing about college football.

This is a long setup to this: Stanford critics point out it has only beaten three teams with a winning record. That sounds like a meaningful critique. But again reference the bullet points above.

Then consider this: There are 19 other bowl-eligible BCS conference teams that are 6-6 or 7-5. How many would not be bowl eligible if they played an extra conference game, another road game (or two), one fewer nonconference patsy and one more tough nonconference game?

Jim Harbaugh's only loss of the season was against No. 1 ranked Oregon. Arizona State likely will finish tied for seventh in the Pac-10 if it loses Thursday at Arizona. Yet the Sun Devils were good enough to push Wisconsin to the brink before losing 20-19 on the road.

UCLA will finish ninth in the conference if it loses to USC on Saturday. Yet the Bruins were good enough to beat Texas and Houston. Sure, those teams fell well short of preseason expectations, but which team finishing second to last in a BCS conference has a better nonconference resume?

In other words, 5-7 in the Pac-10 is much different than it is in the Big Ten, Big 12, SEC and ACC. That's what the non-biased Sagarin Ratings take note of when it rates the Pac-10 ahead of other conferences.

And that's what Stanford emerged from -- with a 22.5-point average margin of victory.

Of course, proving the quality of Stanford is only part of the issue. Most who aren't blinded by fandom recognized early on that the Cardinal were an elite team. But it's also fair to say that the Cardinal is not an elite team in terms of attendance, which is why Stanford might not have received a BCS bowl berth if it hadn't climbed to No. 4 in the BCS standings, which earned it a guaranteed spot.

It's worth noting that Stanford fans turned out last year for the Sun Bowl, which set a stadium and game record with 53,713 fans in attendance.

But the Cardinal this year also has two of the biggest drawing cards in the country, for ticket sales and TV ratings: quarterback Andrew Luck and coach Jim Harbaugh. Those two will attract not only college football fans, but also NFL fans who are curious about the top-rated college quarterback and a coach who is on a lot of wish lists -- college and pro.

The honest truth is that we do not know if Stanford is better than your team. We just typed that to make you mad. Sorry.

What we do know is Stanford belongs. It has earned a berth in a BCS bowl game because it is an elite team.

And what we suspect is the Cardinal will have proven that when the bowl season ends.

Edited by wildcat2334

That's great wildcat! Why did you respond to me? Not sure where I've ever took a poop on Stanford. The post you replied to specifically was the answer to the question of common opponents within the Big Ten. I have zero idea what that had to do with Stanford. Perhaps that post might have been better suited to a thread of it's own?

That's great wildcat! Why did you respond to me? Not sure where I've ever took a poop on Stanford. The post you replied to specifically was the answer to the question of common opponents within the Big Ten. I have zero idea what that had to do with Stanford. Perhaps that post might have been better suited to a thread of it's own?

I have to assume that was a mistake. Good article, mind you.

my bad, wasn't directed at u at all, carry on