[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bowl schedule and bids

Rockerbraves

winners and confidence. Does that mean you rate your picks 1 for toss-ups and whatever the highest numbers is for games you're certain about the winner? You get the corresponding points for each correct answer?

It means that with 35 games, you weight each game from 1-35 using each weighting only once. If you pick the winner of the game, you get the number of points you put on that game. At the end, you add up all your points.

ETA: So yes, you want to put more points on your more confident picks.

Edited by geeteebee

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think TOS does a pick 'em pool as well... Not sure if he'll do it this year.

GTB - PM me the information, and I may join your contest. I'd like to do one this year, as I need something to help keep me interested in all of these brutal matchups between 6-6 and 7-5 teams. :wacko:

I see about a half-dozen games that really peak my interest... The rest, not so much. :tup:

We do have plenty that shows that both UConn and UW are very much not the caliber of OU or NU nor the caliber of any number of other teams they could have/should have played.

Hey Det, that's enough UW hate for 1 week, alright? Us UW fans are basking in the glory that we made it to a bowl and relishing in the fact that we are going to shock the world on December 30th and we have to listen to you talk about the HUGE mismatch going on in San Diego. Come On Man! :wacko:

It means that with 35 games, you weight each game from 1-35 using each weighting only once. If you pick the winner of the game, you get the number of points you put on that game. At the end, you add up all your points.

Nice ..... 35 on the Dawgs! I get it.

Played in this contest the last 4-5 years and it is well run and a lot of fun. GTB does a great job.

Will you PM me the info please?

Hey Det, that's enough UW hate for 1 week, alright? Us UW fans are basking in the glory that we made it to a bowl and relishing in the fact that we are going to shock the world on December 30th and we have to listen to you talk about the HUGE mismatch going on in San Diego. Come On Man! :wacko:

I would love nothing more than a UW victory. I gots peeps up there. My uncle is a prof there and the best man in my wedding has a winery in Woodenville. I've always had a place in my heart for them.

Oh and gtb, I'm down. Hook me up with the deets.

Edited by detlef

Hey Det, that's enough UW hate for 1 week, alright? Us UW fans are basking in the glory that we made it to a bowl and relishing in the fact that we are going to shock the world on December 30th and we have to listen to you talk about the HUGE mismatch going on in San Diego. Come On Man! :tup:

I would love nothing more than a UW victory.

You are both getting coal for christmas. :wacko:

We briefly looked at the SEC and Big 12 bowl matchups, so let's take a glace at the Big 10.

Doesn't look promising for this BCS conference this season. Only one Big 10 team opened up as a favorite out of eight. :wacko:

Insight Bowl - Iowa +3 vs. Missouri

Texas Bowl - Illinois +2 vs. Baylor

TicketCity Bowl - Northwestern +11 1/2 vs. Texas Tech

Gator Bowl - Michigan +5 vs. Mississippi State

Outback Bowl - Penn State +5 vs. Florida

Capital One Bowl - Michigan State +7 vs. Alabama

Rose Bowl - Wisconsin PK vs. TCU

Sugar Bowl - Ohio State -2 1/2 vs. Arkansas

We briefly looked at the SEC and Big 12 bowl matchups, so let's take a glace at the Big 10.

Doesn't look promising for this BCS conference this season. Only one Big 10 team opened up as a favorite out of eight. :wacko:

That's par for the course. Historically the Big Ten is underdogs in most all of their bowl match ups. Even in years where they dominate. 2002 comes to mind, and even last year. Iowa and Ohio State were both underdogs in their BCS bowls last year, and both dominated their opponents. This is nothing new.

That's par for the course. Historically the Big Ten is underdogs in most all of their bowl match ups. Even in years where they dominate. 2002 comes to mind, and even last year. Iowa and Ohio State were both underdogs in their BCS bowls last year, and both dominated their opponents. This is nothing new.

If you believe the theory about spreads being made not because of that's what the oddsmakers think is going to happen but because that's where they think the number needs to be to attract even action on both sides, and if you're right that they never get respect in the bowl lines, then Big 10 fans must not be loyal betters (which is by no means intended as a veiled knock on the conference or its fans). Because, in general, they need to be coaxed into laying their money down more than fans of the teams they're playing.

What it does mean is that you could likely make decent money simply taking every Big 10 team, every year because the lines would all be tilted in their favor.

I'm calling wins for Iowa, Penn State, Wisconsin & Ohio State. I think they will go 4-4.

I'm calling wins for Iowa, Penn State, Wisconsin & Ohio State. I think they will go 4-4.

The Big 10 has great bowl tie-ins that usually result in being underdogs- as a Pac 10 fan I am totally jealous of their bowl tie-ins bc they are much better than ours. That being said, I would hardly call Baylor, TT, Miss St & FLA a murders row of opponenets, I was shocked they were only favorites in 1 game

I think 4-4 is about right, personally I see Iowa, Illiniois, Mich/OSU and Wisky winning

If you believe the theory about spreads being made not because of that's what the oddsmakers think is going to happen but because that's where they think the number needs to be to attract even action on both sides, and if you're right that they never get respect in the bowl lines, then Big 10 fans must not be loyal betters (which is by no means intended as a veiled knock on the conference or its fans). Because, in general, they need to be coaxed into laying their money down more than fans of the teams they're playing.

What it does mean is that you could likely make decent money simply taking every Big 10 team, every year because the lines would all be tilted in their favor.

I'm convinced betting lines are made by oddsmakers who truly believe the game is correctly handicapped. And if so that gives him 50 % chance of winning no matter what side the gambler bets on. I've know a bookie or two in my life and they rarely get or even want even action on both sides. What they rely on is winning at least half the games being wagered on. Sorry a little off subject. :wacko:

I'm convinced betting lines are made by oddsmakers who truly believe the game is correctly handicapped. And if so that gives him 50 % chance of winning no matter what side the gambler bets on. I've know a bookie or two in my life and they rarely get or even want even action on both sides. What they rely on is winning at least half the games being wagered on. Sorry a little off subject. :wacko:

Why wouldn't they want even action? There's no better way to assure they're making money. Every single day. Unlike us boneheads, they're smart enough to know that chight happens and they're not going to get it right all the time. And this especially goes for some random bookie who is basically at the mercy of what Vegas says. Sure, he can push the line a half or maybe a full point, but it's not like dude is making up his own lines. He's just going along with the flow, right? Why wouldn't he want to know that he's just taking 5% of the gross amount bet that night to the bank, 100% assured?

Still waiting on our TCU - Wisky bet. Even up? :wacko:

good gawd u sound like private dipchit - I SAID I liked Wisky + Points, what part about that = an even bet????

not some Wisky fan popping off - I just think Wisky +3 is a solid bet, tell me again why I would bet with you even up again?

as a husker fan, playing vs the huskies is almost a lose-lose. as someone else said, if its close, we look bad. if we win big it was expected. and if we lose, we look really bad. plus we're playing a team thats 6-6 :wacko: not exactly something exciting. cant say id be that much more excited if we were playing uconn either.

as a husker fan, playing vs the huskies is almost a lose-lose. as someone else said, if its close, we look bad. if we win big it was expected. and if we lose, we look really bad. plus we're playing a team thats 6-6 :wacko: not exactly something exciting. cant say id be that much more excited if we were playing uconn either.

brutal - going to be tough to get those kids fired up to play a team they dominated....

I am in the minority, but I am a firm believer in the motivation factor in games like these. Huskers are the much better team and have proven it, watch for a motivated UW to have a shot against an un-motivated Husker squad..........

It's interesting that the Huskers are going to the Holiday Bowl. The insight bowl is the bowl higher in the pecking order, and they took Mizz. I'm just wondering if they knew they were already for sure going to get Iowa, and an Iowa-Nebraska match up is something you'll see every November for the next 50 years anyway. Iowa wasn't falling past the Insight Bowl, despite a brutal finish to their season. All i all I think it sucks that it's Nebraska-Washington again. But what do you do? It's one of those weird things that can happen I guess.

It's interesting that the Huskers are going to the Holiday Bowl. The insight bowl is the bowl higher in the pecking order, and they took Mizz. I'm just wondering if they knew they were already for sure going to get Iowa, and an Iowa-Nebraska match up is something you'll see every November for the next 50 years anyway. Iowa wasn't falling past the Insight Bowl, despite a brutal finish to their season. All i all I think it sucks that it's Nebraska-Washington again. But what do you do? It's one of those weird things that can happen I guess.

If Nebraska wasn't leaving the conference, they would be playing much closer to home against a team they haven't faced already this season.

good gawd u sound like private dipchit - I SAID I liked Wisky + Points, what part about that = an even bet????

not some Wisky fan popping off - I just think Wisky +3 is a solid bet, tell me again why I would bet with you even up again?

Because it's a straight bet rather than lay 11 to win 10? Not sure if that's worth 3 points or not. But at least you don't have to lay the vig. Just giving a reason why you might, but I wouldn't.

I remember getting into a somewhat similar argument. It was a few years ago and my Niners were getting a TD against St. Louis. A brother of a friend tried to heckle me into betting him straight up. Challenging everything from my manhood to my loyalty to the Niners. I couldn't explain enough times that he was trying to get over on the wrong guy.

Why wouldn't they want even action? There's no better way to assure they're making money. Every single day. Unlike us boneheads, they're smart enough to know that chight happens and they're not going to get it right all the time. And this especially goes for some random bookie who is basically at the mercy of what Vegas says. Sure, he can push the line a half or maybe a full point, but it's not like dude is making up his own lines. He's just going along with the flow, right? Why wouldn't he want to know that he's just taking 5% of the gross amount bet that night to the bank, 100% assured?

Guess is what I am saying as long as the bookie is getting pretty much even action of all the games and he wins 1/2 and loses 1/12 he still gets his juice. Like I said it's very rare the money is even and the worse thing for a bookie is to get middled by raising the line to force action on the other side.

Yeah maybe a 1/2 or 1 point here and there, but if he has the same action on another game and wins one and loses one it's basically the same thing as getting even action on one game plus he doesn't have to worry about the middle. It does take trust that the game has actually been properly handicapped so the chances of winning and losing are about the same no matter who you bet on.

Because it's a straight bet rather than lay 11 to win 10? Not sure if that's worth 3 points or not. But at least you don't have to lay the vig. Just giving a reason why you might, but I wouldn't.

I remember getting into a somewhat similar argument. It was a few years ago and my Niners were getting a TD against St. Louis. A brother of a friend tried to heckle me into betting him straight up. Challenging everything from my manhood to my loyalty to the Niners. I couldn't explain enough times that he was trying to get over on the wrong guy.

solid point on the vig - but not worth 3 points

never ceases to amaze me - maybe the superfan will give away points just to be ballsy but I mean to make a general comment about liking X team + the points and getting called out to bet SU just makes less than zero sense to me. I guess the reply, is ok, I have X team+3, but betting SU, laying 50 to win 70 - sound good? that is about the equivalent.

cmon prof- I expect better out of you than that :wacko: