[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jets- Pats Pregame Thread

Rovers

Likely the biggest regular season game of the year for both teams. Both have had 3 extra days between their last game and this. The Jets are 0-2 coming off bye weeks under Ryan. For the Jets, it's their chance to shake off the "They are just lucky" label that started last year in weeks 16 and 17. For The Pats it's their chance to prove NE and Belichick are still the masters of the AFC East. The winner stands a good chance of being the top seed in the AFC.

Brady has been playing lights out and Sanchez continues to improve as an NFL QB. I think this game comes down to the QB's, but I don't mean to say Sanchez is Bady's equal, rather that Brady faces a much better defense than Sanchez does. Sanchez is far more likely to turn the ball over. Sanchez has a better running offense, and better weapons for recievers. That may not be enough to outperform Brady despite the lack of play makers on the NE offense.

Belichick knows how to attack the Jets defense. Throw short and deep middle, especially with Leonard out for the season. Leonard was not a great cover safety, but he was the QB of the DB's. Throw to Welker and the TE's, along with Woodhead out of the backfield to keep the LB's close. This also somewhat negates the two outstanding CB's of the Jets. (Note to Chargers fans- Cromartie has been playing very well, and even makes tackles)

Everyone knows the way to beat the Pats is to throw on them, but Ryan is reluctant to play pass first run second. I think in this game the Jets need to establish the pass to set up the run, not the other way around.

On defense the Jets will need to get pressure on Brady, but the man can read defenses and blitzes as well, maybe better than any other NFL QB. I think the Pats will use a lot of 3 step drops and throws over the middle to negate the Jets blitzing. I think some screen passes to Woodhead are on the menu as well. I don't expect to see many bubble passes.

For us Jets fans, it's been a long time since this team was in legitimate contention for a division tittle. Will it be another disappointment? Or the rarified air of being a front runner for a change?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not feeling too comfortable with this one. I know Brady hasn't lost in 25 regular season games at home, but this team just doesn't leave a good feeling in my belly. Pat's D has been awful. I could stand a bend but don't break D. But this has been a bend and break D. Luckily, it's actually been a bend, break and take D. Can they sustain that all year? That scares me. If they play an offense that doesn't throw a couple of big picks at the wrong time, they're toast. That could be this week?

I think it will be a high scoring game all around. Pats TE's, namely Hernandez, should have a big game tonight without Leohnard back there. I think they'll run a bit more than the first game as well. But it's the D that scares me. Jets should move the ball easily.

I'm tentative to do this, but I'll take the Pats 31-27. :wacko:

I'm not feeling too comfortable with this one. I know Brady hasn't lost in 25 regular season games at home, but this team just doesn't leave a good feeling in my belly. Pat's D has been awful. I could stand a bend but don't break D. But this has been a bend and break D. Luckily, it's actually been a bend, break and take D. Can they sustain that all year? That scares me. If they play an offense that doesn't throw a couple of big picks at the wrong time, they're toast. That could be this week?

I think it will be a high scoring game all around. Pats TE's, namely Hernandez, should have a big game tonight without Leohnard back there. I think they'll run a bit more than the first game as well. But it's the D that scares me. Jets should move the ball easily.

I'm tentative to do this, but I'll take the Pats 31-27. :wacko:

I feel the same way about the Jets. Only because I am a homer do I say Jets 27-24. More wishful thinking than anything else, I have no confidence tonight either. If Sanchez plays lights out, the Jets win. Against ant Belichick coached team that is a very tall order made even more difficult because of Sanchez's lack of experience as a second year QB. Belichick I am sure will have things up his sleeve to try to force Sanchez into mistakes.

The other big question mark is the kicking game, both PK's are pretty shaky.

Likely the biggest regular season game of the year for both teams. Both have had 3 extra days between their last game and this. The Jets are 0-2 coming off bye weeks under Ryan. For the Jets, it's their chance to shake off the "They are just lucky" label that started last year in weeks 16 and 17. For The Pats it's their chance to prove NE and Belichick are still the masters of the AFC East. The winner stands a good chance of being the top seed in the AFC.

Brady has been playing lights out and Sanchez continues to improve as an NFL QB. I think this game comes down to the QB's, but I don't mean to say Sanchez is Bady's equal, rather that Brady faces a much better defense than Sanchez does. Sanchez is far more likely to turn the ball over. Sanchez has a better running offense, and better weapons for recievers. That may not be enough to outperform Brady despite the lack of play makers on the NE offense.

Belichick knows how to attack the Jets defense. Throw short and deep middle, especially with Leonard out for the season. Leonard was not a great cover safety, but he was the QB of the DB's. Throw to Welker and the TE's, along with Woodhead out of the backfield to keep the LB's close. This also somewhat negates the two outstanding CB's of the Jets. (Note to Chargers fans- Cromartie has been playing very well, and even makes tackles)

Everyone knows the way to beat the Pats is to throw on them, but Ryan is reluctant to play pass first run second. I think in this game the Jets need to establish the pass to set up the run, not the other way around.

On defense the Jets will need to get pressure on Brady, but the man can read defenses and blitzes as well, maybe better than any other NFL QB. I think the Pats will use a lot of 3 step drops and throws over the middle to negate the Jets blitzing. I think some screen passes to Woodhead are on the menu as well. I don't expect to see many bubble passes.

For us Jets fans, it's been a long time since this team was in legitimate contention for a division tittle. Will it be another disappointment? Or the rarified air of being a front runner for a change?

Tonights weather in Foxboro is going to be in the low 20's with

constant wind gusting up to 25 mph...

Good for power running. I'm beginning to doubt that the Jets will

open up the offense. You almost have to try to ground it out in

conditions like that. It should not cause too many problems for the

Pats short passing game.

LT and Shonn Greene are good plays tonight. Same for Welker and the pats 2 rookie TEs... not so much Branch. Of the 2 TEs, I lean towards Hernandez, b/c Hernandez does better in man coverage. But its almost a shame that they use them both. Cumulatively, their numbers will be solid but either one alone is a risk. Also, because of the wind, Keller is a sneaky play.

Weather Channel says winds at 17 MPH and temps of 31 degrees at 9pm. Certainly could be a factor. The worse the weather, the better for the Pats I think. If Sanchez can't throw deep on occassion, the Pats can play it tighter. I now wonder if the coin flip winner opts to take the wind, which goal the defend. Ryan always defers and likes to put his D on the field first.

Depending on the direction of the wind, Sanchez may have two quarters to throw the ball deep. I really think the Jets have to get at least one, at LEAST one big passing play to win.

I have never been this amped up for a regular season game before. Heading out to the stadium right now. Should be parked and drinking by 4:00.

Good luck to the Jets - This years team is tough to hate. I think it will be a close game. I love the Jets D and running game and that is why I think the Pats could be in trouble tonight. But you never know. I thought we would lose to Pitt and Indy.

I will try to post from the game if my fingertips don't fall off trying to type. :wacko:

Weather Channel says winds at 17 MPH and temps of 31 degrees at 9pm. Certainly could be a factor. The worse the weather, the better for the Pats I think. If Sanchez can't throw deep on occassion, the Pats can play it tighter. I now wonder if the coin flip winner opts to take the wind, which goal the defend. Ryan always defers and likes to put his D on the field first.

Depending on the direction of the wind, Sanchez may have two quarters to throw the ball deep. I really think the Jets have to get at least one, at LEAST one big passing play to win.

Doesn't look like a west wind at 12 or so would have any affect on the game. But I bet it "looks" a lot better than it's going to feel...

Weather and Stadium Orientation