[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Which vehicle should we drive home for Christmas?

driveby

So my wife and I are driving to Wisconsin for Christmas.

One of us wants to take the 2010 Maxima (35,000 miles on the odo) and one of us wants to take the 2003 Expedition. (135,000 miles)

"Discussion" points presented in favor of the Expedition; V8(more power), sit up higher, more room, won't put miles on the new car, it's got us home safely before, it's not white so if we run off the road we can be found.

and in favor of the Maxima; better mileage(cheaper), more comfortable ride, satellite radio, front wheel drive, nav system, newer(more reliable), more fun to drive.

TIA

Edited by driveby

I usually opt for the bigger car on long road trips. Expeditions have a pretty comfy ride and the Maximia is on the sproty/stiff side. If there are no reliability issues with the SUV, take it. If you wonder if it will make the trip again or cost (or AGW) are a concern, take the Max.

You should know the answer to this one, you've been married long enough. Take whatever vehicle the wife wants to take. When you run into trouble you have a talking point for your next "discussion".

Depends on weather. If there's any chance of snow, take the Expedition. I'm assuming it's a 4x4, so that will help you get out of any trouble. Plus the extra height and size protects you against other morans driving on the slick roads.

Not 4X4.

If there are no reliability issues with the SUV

Last year at Christmas while in Wisky an ignition coil had to be replaced. Replaced 2 more since then. This makes me nervous.

Expeditions have a pretty comfy ride and the Maximia is on the sproty/stiff side.

Actually it's just the opposite. The Expedition is essentally a truck and rides like one, the Max is smooth. 80 in the Max = 55 in the Exp in terms of road noise and ride quality.

You should know the answer to this one, you've been married long enough. Take whatever vehicle the wife wants to take. When you run into trouble you have a talking point for your next "discussion".

True, but this isn't like letting her pick the restaurant and then saying afterwards "Well, that sucked". I don't want to get stranded in the middle of Iowa at 3 am.

You want to take the Maxima and can't admit it. I think what you have forgot about is space to get all the x-mas gifts home. Unless you plan on mailing them back that takes space. You have time to get a new coil put in the Expedition?

I was trying to stay neutral but I absolutely do want to take the Max.

Space for gifts isn't an issue. We don't exchange many gifts anymore, going home for Christmas now is mostly just about seeing what family we have left and spending time with them.

Yeah I guess we would have time to replace one if it went bad again if that's what you are asking? But I'd rather not entertain that possibility. Certainly something could happen to the Max but the probability has to be much, much lower.

I have very little interest in reading a trip report about you seeing your family, eating a good Christmas dinner, etc. However, if there is a story about breaking down in the dead of night in some Children of the Corn type town and having to wake Cletus up so he can come out a give you a tow, then I could possibly be entertained.

Take the ford.

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-his...ny-History.html

Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.

1934: Jidosha Seizo changes its name to Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.

Early 1940s:During World War II, the company makes military trucks and engines for airplanes and torpedo boats.

But I'm sure those were the friendly torpedo boats.

Not 4X4.

Last year at Christmas while in Wisky an ignition coil had to be replaced. Replaced 2 more since then. This makes me nervous.

Actually it's just the opposite. The Expedition is essentally a truck and rides like one, the Max is smooth. 80 in the Max = 55 in the Exp in terms of road noise and ride quality.

True, but this isn't like letting her pick the restaurant and then saying afterwards "Well, that sucked". I don't want to get stranded in the middle of Iowa at 3 am.

There you go. And let's face it, it's not like you're deciding between an SUV and a Mini. The Maxima is a decent sized car. Certainly big enough to put aside that concern. I think it's a no-brainer, especially since the truck is not 4x4.

seems like the only advantage is clearance. cheaper, more comfortable, and probably arrive quicker with the maxima. onlly things that could be an issue is type of tire and weather. i have a rwd coupe and have a pretty hairy daily commute.......tires!!!!! make the difference in bad conditions.

seems like the only advantage is clearance. cheaper, more comfortable, and probably arrive quicker with the maxima. onlly things that could be an issue is type of tire and weather. i have a rwd coupe and have a pretty hairy daily commute.......tires!!!!! make the difference in bad conditions.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that the Expedition would need new tires before we leave, old ones are down to the wear bar and cracking.

And I tend to agree with redrum but I couldn't actually say that to my wife and expect to keep all my man parts.