[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vikings to Play Outside?

MikesVikes

It sounds like the Dome won't be ready in time for the Monday night game against the Bears. The Vikings want to play the game in the Twin Cities area and are doing everything possible to make that happen. But if they play in the TCF Stadium, the new home of the Minnesota Gophers, It will be an outside game at a stadium not equipped for cold weather games.

Link

This is definetly the plan for the Vikes/Bears game. This Star Tribune report is the first I've heard that made it sound like it's still up in the air. (Pardon the pun)

I think that Sydney Rice and all the Vikings offense deserve a drop in their projections. Bud Grant will not be on the sidelines for this one, although they do plan to have the 50 Greatest Vikings program for this game in honor of the 50th Vikings season this year. Bud Grant will be there and you might even see snow flakes.

Edited by MikesVikes

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, it's Minnesota in December. Dress for the weather, you learn that at a young age.

Second, I kind of get chills thinking what it would look like when the introduce the top 50 Vikings to commemmorate the 50 year anniversary of the team and you see guys like Bud Grant, Jim Marshall, and others from that era marching out on the field, snow falling, their breath making clouds in front of them as they go. Old time football right there.

Then we have the current crop of Vikes who are actually on the field. :wacko:

Is it true that the Vikings are asking people to volunteer to shovel snow at the stadium?

Are you kidding me?

I believe Packer fans do this on occasion... They give them free hot coco!! :wacko:

Is it true that the Vikings are asking people to volunteer to shovel snow at the stadium?

Are you kidding me?

Received this email. Not sure if it is legit or not, but it came from our IT guy). I removed the phone number from original post as I don't know 100% that it is correct (campus is 612 area code). I tried calling and it said mailbox is full.

Searching for a way to make some extra bucks to put presents under the Christmas Tree? The Minnesota Vikings and the University of Minnesota need you. The university is willing to pay anyone $10-$15 per hour in 6-hour shifts starting at 7 a.m. Thursday to shovel all the snow out of TCF Bank Stadium before the Bears show up for Monday Night Football.

Here's the details:

No shovels are needed. Dress for the elements. Free parking will be available in the Gold Lot between 5th and 23rd.

Report for work at the Jackson County 247 entrance.

If this interests you, or you know a friend that could use the work, please contact the Minnesota Sports Turf Managers Association office at (DELETE PHONE NUMBER).

Below are the available shifts. Call (DELETE PHONE NUMBER) if you are willing / able to help.

Note: Once the project is completed the shifts will end - potentially before Sunday.

7:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. - THURSDAY, DEC. 16 - $10 per hour

1:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. - THURSDAY, DEC. 16 - $10 per hour

7:00 p.m. - 1:00 a.m. - THURSDAY, DEC. 16 - $13 per hour

1:00 a.m. - 7:00 a.m. - THURSDAY, DEC. 16 - $15 per hour

7:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. - FRIDAY, DEC. 17 - $10 per hour

1:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. - FRIDAY, DEC. 17 - $10 per hour

7:00 p.m. - 1:00 a.m. - FRIDAY, DEC. 17 - $13 per hour

1:00 a.m. - 7:00 a.m. - FRIDAY, DEC. 17 - $15 per hour

7:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. - SATURDAY, DEC. 18 - $10 per hour

1:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. - SATURDAY, DEC. 18 - $10 per hour

7:00 p.m. - 1:00 a.m. - SATURDAY, DEC. 18 - $13 per hour

1:00 a.m. - 7:00 a.m. - SATURDAY, DEC. 18 - $15 per hour

7:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. - SUNDAY, DEC. 19 - $10 per hour

1:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. - SUNDAY, DEC. 19 - $10 per hour

7:00 p.m. - 1:00 a.m. - SUNDAY, DEC. 19 - $13 per hour

1:00 a.m. - 7:00 a.m. - SUNDAY, DEC. 19 - $15 per hour

Edited by kcmast

Clayton was just on the radio with the local ESPN crew and said that stadium is flat frozen and has a ton of other issues going with it in order to get it ready. They'll need to decide about this time tomorrow. Open door from St. Louis and Indianapolis to host the game this week.

Are you serious? They've played football in really cold weather before, you know.

I stand corrected:

In NFL lore, the Freezer Bowl (January 10, 1982) was the 1981 AFC Championship Game between the San Diego Chargers and the Cincinnati Bengals. The game was played in the coldest temperature in NFL history in terms of wind chill. (The coldest in terms of air temperature was the Ice Bowl.) Air temperature was −9 °F (−23 °C), but the wind chill, factoring in a sustained wind of 27 miles per hour (43 km/h), was −37 °F/−38 °C

Clayton was just on the radio with the local ESPN crew and said that stadium is flat frozen and has a ton of other issues going with it in order to get it ready. They'll need to decide about this time tomorrow. Open door from St. Louis and Indianapolis to host the game this week.

awesome!

Can't imagine they would play outside of MN as they are celebrating the 50th anniversary of the team with the 50 greatest Vikings in attendance, but TCF does have a lot of waether related issues

TCF does not have heated field turf so field will be like a rock!!! It was not designed for December weather in MN so they are worried about concession stands and restrooms not being warm. Snow is forcast during the week too. This could be a really big FUBAR!!!!

Received this email. Not sure if it is legit or not, but it came from our IT guy). I removed the phone number from original post as I don't know 100% that it is correct (campus is 612 area code). I tried calling and it said mailbox is full.

Searching for a way to make some extra bucks to put presents under the Christmas Tree? The Minnesota Vikings and the University of Minnesota need you. The university is willing to pay anyone $10-$15 per hour in 6-hour shifts starting at 7 a.m. Thursday to shovel all the snow out of TCF Bank Stadium before the Bears show up for Monday Night Football.

Here's the details:

No shovels are needed. Dress for the elements. Free parking will be available in the Gold Lot between 5th and 23rd.

Report for work at the Jackson County 247 entrance.

If this interests you, or you know a friend that could use the work, please contact the Minnesota Sports Turf Managers Association office at (DELETE PHONE NUMBER).

Below are the available shifts. Call (DELETE PHONE NUMBER) if you are willing / able to help.

Note: Once the project is completed the shifts will end - potentially before Sunday.

7:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. - THURSDAY, DEC. 16 - $10 per hour

1:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. - THURSDAY, DEC. 16 - $10 per hour

7:00 p.m. - 1:00 a.m. - THURSDAY, DEC. 16 - $13 per hour

1:00 a.m. - 7:00 a.m. - THURSDAY, DEC. 16 - $15 per hour

7:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. - FRIDAY, DEC. 17 - $10 per hour

1:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. - FRIDAY, DEC. 17 - $10 per hour

7:00 p.m. - 1:00 a.m. - FRIDAY, DEC. 17 - $13 per hour

1:00 a.m. - 7:00 a.m. - FRIDAY, DEC. 17 - $15 per hour

7:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. - SATURDAY, DEC. 18 - $10 per hour

1:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. - SATURDAY, DEC. 18 - $10 per hour

7:00 p.m. - 1:00 a.m. - SATURDAY, DEC. 18 - $13 per hour

1:00 a.m. - 7:00 a.m. - SATURDAY, DEC. 18 - $15 per hour

7:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. - SUNDAY, DEC. 19 - $10 per hour

1:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. - SUNDAY, DEC. 19 - $10 per hour

7:00 p.m. - 1:00 a.m. - SUNDAY, DEC. 19 - $13 per hour

1:00 a.m. - 7:00 a.m. - SUNDAY, DEC. 19 - $15 per hour

Your Stimulus package putting people to work and taking them off the unemployment line yet again!

Man, them's gophers shure iz smart. I guess they migrate to warmer states in the winter...

:tup:

On a side note, who in their right mind wants to shovel snow for six hours straight, for any amount of money? I think I'd have about six heart attacks if I tried that. :wacko: