[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Joe Webb QB,Wr

TheAdonis2010

I am the Commissioner in a competitive league run on Yahoo, and I am allowing Webb to be played in the WR slot. But not because I don't think it is ridiculous. In fact, I plan on creating a rule for next season that "dual eligible" players must be started at the position where they are expected (some good faith required) to be played. If that player switches positions (Patrick Ramsey comes in under center and Webb lines up at WR) that's obviously fine, but you can't start the player at the position they are unlikely to play. I think this is a more than reasonable restriction. The idea (in our league) is to send out one QB, three WRs, two RBs, etc. Any loophole that circumvents those requirements and allows someone to send out two QBs or four RBs should be closed before the season begins.

But that last part is where it gets tricky. In each of my four leagues this season, this loophole has been wide open. We've had a couple Dexter McCluster starts at WR and absolutely brazen use across the board of Danny Woodhead at the position. McCluster was used to little effect, but Woodhead has been a relative monster as a #3 WR. He has been around the #27 overall RB in most of these (non-ppr) leagues, despite not seeing the field until Week Three. So the Woodhead owners were swapping out the notoriously inconsistent third-tier WR for a #2 RB (12-team leagues). That's a huge advantage. And none of the four Commisioners (which includes me) blinked.

Why not? And why now, with the Webb situation? Why does it seem justifiable to start a RB at WR but not a QB at WR?

First, I think it is easier to imagine a RB/WR hybrid. And maybe people subconsciously give Woodhead credit for playing both positions. But that's just not the case. He is used by the Patriots exclusively as a RB. In fact, the only reason Yahoo has Woodhead listed as a WR is because he was listed as one by his previous team, the Jets. And he was really being groomed as a RB there. It seems that they merely tagged him as an emergency WR when Santonio Holmes was unavailable. Contrast that with Webb, who was actually drafted as a WR last spring (#27, right behind Blair White and David Gettis) and just three weeks ago, started a game for the Vikings (against Buffalo) at the position! It doesn't make it less preposterous to send him out as a WR this weekend, when you know he will be playing QB. But it seems to me that he is even more worthy of the dual listing than Woodhead, who has been given a pass all season.

Second, I suspect that a QB lined up in the WR slot has the appearance of a bigger threat to fantasy opponents. But we're not talking about Peyton Manning here. Webb is essentially a WR who hadn't taken a regular season snap at QB until garbage time last Sunday and only then because he was the last remaining healthy arm on the bench. In fact, at this point, I can't imagine most teams using him this weekend. With no experience, dinged up receivers, a bad hammy, in tough conditions and against the Bears defense, what is his likely line? Maybe something like 170, 35, 1 TD and at least 1 INT -- which gets you around 12 points in our leagues? But a second INT may be more likely than that TD, so the upside downside doesn't look too attractive relative to a top 20 option at WR. Certainly startable on some playoff rosters, given the demands of the three WR slots, but not likely a game-changer.

That said, the guy is a physical monster. He had the fifth fastest 40 (4.43) among WRs in the draft, despite listing at 6-3 226 (compare to Jacoby Ford's leading 4.3 at 5-9, 186). He was also #1among WRs at bench press and #1 among all players at vertical jump, broad jump and the 20-yard shuttle. So I'm not going to be surprised if he shows enough this weekend to make him a top 10 "WR" option next week against Philadelphia. That's where you could see real fireworks in your leagues, if this kid can put up a multiple TD, 50 rushing yards, 200 passing yards type performance. So I think now is the time to address the issue -- when he looks more like a six point threat to this week's opponent.

That's my take. It's a ridiculous situation but one that I won't legislate around mid-season, having allowed the Woodhead owner to exploit the same loophole for the last ten weeks.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

update on Webb

Webb (hamstring) was a full participant in Friday's practice. He's still expected to start Monday with Brett Favre missing another day of practice with a shoulder injury.

Recommendation: Head coach Leslie Frazier said Favre may try to practice Saturday, but it seems highly unlikely he'd play this week.

(Rotowire.com)

Thinking of starting him at WR, but 0TD's 2INT's and 2 fumbles are a real possibility. He gets a bump for putting up QB points at WR, but how many WR's get a chance to turn the ball over 4 times in a game? His real value to me is in negating Sidney Rice in my opponents lineup.

I'm going to be swapping out Webb and the death-spiraling Lloyd out ten times between now and Sunday.

Thinking of starting him at WR, but 0TD's 2INT's and 2 fumbles are a real possibility. He gets a bump for putting up QB points at WR, but how many WR's get a chance to turn the ball over 4 times in a game? His real value to me is in negating Sidney Rice in my opponents lineup.

I'm going to be swapping out Webb and the death-spiraling Lloyd out ten times between now and Sunday.

Hear, hear. I am stuck in one league between Webb, Collie, and Amendola: Webb probably has the most upside, but if Favre plays he is worthless. Collie SHOULD be playing, and has upside, but what if he gets his bell rung again. And Amendola: gack. Probably the safest play for a handful of points, but much lower upside. I play a talented team this week, and even though I finished in first in this league, my squad is probably weaker than my opponent's team.