[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The NCAA Hypocrite Bowl

Chief Dick

I admit that, ideally, he should've tried to pick it up and run, but that's with the benefit of hindsight. I read some of the coverage, and the kid who recovered it is just a freshman, and, even though they obviously practice the punt block all season, it was Arkansas' first punt block in a game all year. So while he blew a chance to be the hero, I think it's excusable, given he's an 18- or 19-year-old freshman in the Sugar Bowl, and Arkansas hadn't blocked a punt all year. Calling him dumb and acting like he cost his team the Sugar Bowl is a bit over the top, in my opinion.

Friend of mine went down to New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl. Ironically the guy he went with played HS football with the kid who didn't pick up the loose ball. After the game they had a chance hang with the Arkansas players. The kid feels awful. Like you said he's only a freshmen and he said they were taught to jump on the ball. So he did his job.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Friend of mine went down to New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl. Ironically the guy he went with played HS football with the kid who didn't pick up the loose ball. After the game they had a chance hang with the Arkansas players. The kid feels awful. Like you said he's only a freshmen and he said they were taught to jump on the ball. So he did his job.

This.

Blaming this kid for the loss makes no sense. If he does try to pick it up and run but doesn't control the ball, loses it, and somehow Ohio State ends up with the ball again, then what? It drives coaches nuts when defensive players don't secure possession first and foremost.

yup- I put it on the special teams coach. Just tough bc the damn ball basically bounced up into his hands and he had clear sailing

An all out punt block with 1 min remaining is a different animal, tho. Those kids should have been coached up - if you have the chance try and scoop and score.

I think the Ark ST coach should go watch Frank Beamer's speical teams drills.......

and fwiw - would peeps stop with calling out people for blaming the kid for the loss- no one has mentioned that 1 time. Just an easy scoring opp that they didn't convert at a crucial time just like Mallet's INT.....

They had the ball on what OSU 20 something yard line. The loss should fall at Mallets feet like the other loses Ark has suffered this yr. Mallet reminds me completely of Ryan Leaf. Huge arm, but terrible decision maker in the clutch. Give him time and he will tear your secondary up, but like Cutler pressure him and he will show off that arm and make terrible decisions. But in the Bama game he killed 2 scoring drives late in the 4th with just terrible decision INTs. Plus he locks onto receivers and doesnt read defenses well. I think he is a risky 1st round pick, and think Gabbert has passed him because of this, not the big arm.

And Andy Dalton IMO will now be the best QB to come out of this draft. Not the first one taken, but best in the long run.

Edited by Living the Dream

They had the ball on what OSU 20 something yard line. The loss should fall at Mallets feet like the other loses Ark has suffered this yr. Mallet reminds me completely of Ryan Leaf. Huge arm, but terrible decision maker in the clutch. Give him time and he will tear your secondary up, but like Cutler pressure him and he will show off that arm and make terrible decisions. But in the Bama game he killed 2 scoring drives late in the 4th with just terrible decision INTs. Plus he locks onto receivers and doesnt read defenses well. I think he is a risky 1st round pick, and think Gabbert has passed him because of this, not the big arm.

And Andy Dalton IMO will now be the best QB to come out of this draft. Not the first one taken, but best in the long run.

This may very well be the case, I havent seen enough Arkansas games to make an educated comment. But I will say the kid played well all game up until that play. And lets give the defense some credit on that play. A well timed zone blitz called and Thomas made a nice play on the ball for a defensive end.

Edited by Cameltosis