[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

trying to get IR implemented in my league

Steelhead

In my 11 yr local league I am trying to get some type of Injured Reserve rule added. For those of you that use IR can you share your thoughts on it? I generally try to feel out changes like this with a few guys first and having a hard time convincing them this could be a good thing.

Edit: this is a 2 man keeer league.

Edited by Steelhead

In the 2 leagues I'm in where we use IR, they are both keeper leagues and the IR was introduced in case you had a player you wanted to keep for next season, even if they were placed on IR for the year, without having to carry them in a regular roster spot. It has worked out well so far.

As for which players are eligible to be placed on IR, they must be placed on their respective NFL teams IR first. We us MFL for our league websites, and the site will let you know if a player has been placed on the NFL IR list as well.

We tried one year to get an IR rule in place for players who were listed as "doubtful" or "out" while the league was still a re-draft league, but that seemed like too much trouble and hassle, so we canned it until we went to a keeper league where it made more sense.

Is this a keeper or dynasty league? If so, then an IR spot or two is a great way to open up extra roster spots for the year, rather then having to waste them by holding IR players for the future. Owners would just have to meet roster limits by the next year, when the player is reactivated. I don't see how this would be a hard sell.

However, do not do as some have and make the IR spot something that can be interchangeable, where any "questionable" player can be put on it, and then reactivated. I've heard of such systems, and it's a mockery of what they're designed to do. You might as well just add an extra roster spot if you want to do that. IMO, the requirement for placing a player on IR should be that the team has too.

If this is a redraft league, however, there is absolutely no reason for IR. If a player gets injured, you drop 'em, unless you think they'll return to form that season..

I am in a 14-team redraft that has an IR spot. The rule is you can put anyone on IR, regardless of injury status, but the player has to remain there for two games (so if the player has a bye week during that time, he must remain on IR for three weeks of games). You can use IR only twice during the year. It does help when you have a player like Kolb, whom I drafted but didn't want to drop after the first week, but yet I also wanted to find a replacement for. In years past, people would use it as an extra roster spot, which led to the rule change that you can use it only twice per year. That has worked pretty well to curb abuse. It also allows owners to put someone like Sidney Rice or Roethlisberger on immediate IR until they're activated.

I am commissioner of a 12-team redraft. We had IR the first two years but I got rid of it because it was being used as an extra roster spot. I am toying with bringing it back in some form. MFL lets you define how long a player can be activated once he's place on IR. I was considering putting a rule in place that a player must remain on IR for two weeks, and it can be used only during bye weeks (because that's when the decision to keep or drop an injured player most comes into play).

We use IR. Our rules are simple. A player can go on their as soon as they've been listed on our website (CBS) as out for more than a 4 game period. They can stay on their until they play again.

For instance, Romo was listed as "out for 4 to 6 weeks", so I was able to place him on IR.

However, I also had Gates, and I could never put him on IR because they were only announcing one game at a time.

Also, we aren't allowed to pick up someone on IR and place them on our rosters unless we drop someone for that player.

in my 12 team redraft we have an IR. We simply stat that u can put someone who is listed as out on there. The only problem is when u have someone like Gates who is out for a few weeks but isn't declared out. Other than that it's there for when someone gets hurt and will miss a game or 2... We haven't had any problems in our leauge about someone on the IR who isn't suppost to be there. Usually if there is a question about if someone should be able to be on there we just look at the status and it tells us.

We also use ESPN.