[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

UW Basketball ...

theprofessor

Might be a bit premature but the Husky's look like a team that can go all the way this year. They have incredible depth and can go 9 deep without a noticeable drop off. Matthew Bryan-Amanning's improvement is dramatic and having the 7 footer N' Diaye down low gives them an inside presence that they haven't had in a long time. They have guys (Thomas, Suggs, Ross, Wilcox, Holiday) throughout the roster that can shoot the rock from anywhere on the court.

Losing our starting guard 2 weeks ago to a season ending knee injury hurts but it appears that they have enough depth to handle the loss of Gaddy. I would rather have Venoy coming off the bench to give us the spark on the defensive end and as a momentum changer but it looks like he might have to start despite his ability to be a game changer, coming off the bench. Let's hope the off the court rumors prove to be false and we don't lose him for an extended time.

If Isiah Thomas isn't the best guard in the nation, he's in the top 5. The kid can do it all and this year he is doing whatever he has to do to make the team successful, without concern for his own personal stats. Watching him tonight at Cal he has completely dominated the game as the husky's have overwhelmed the Bears. He has 23 points and 12 assists with 6:00 minutes left and his leadership and his distribution has been at another level. The maturation and game of Justin Holiday has been great to see also as it's easy to tell that has worked very hard in the off season. He's the glue.

UW looks to be the power in the Pac-10 again. WSU and Arizona look very tough this year. I think this is the year the Dawgs move beyond the sweet 16. Big game this week against Arizona on Thursday. Maybe Wildcat will let me get some of the money I lost to him in the Rose Bowl. Although, he'll probably want 9.5 points :wacko:

Edited by theprofessor

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UW is a good team, and will be better off without Gaddy IMO. They are better with Venoy in there, and bumping up the youngsters in the rotation will only help. IS Overton the kid with the rape rumors floating around?? damn I hope not. Should be a great game this week in Seattle- folks will get a chance to see the best player in the Pac 10 and it isn't Thomas.

Derrick Williams is easily the best player in the Pac 10, and one of the elite players in the country.

oh yea, the Pac 10 stinks this year tho.. probly looking at 3 teams, UW, UA, WSU getting into the tournament.

UW is a good team, and will be better off without Gaddy IMO. They are better with Venoy in there, and bumping up the youngsters in the rotation will only help. IS Overton the kid with the rape rumors floating around?? damn I hope not. Should be a great game this week in Seattle- folks will get a chance to see the best player in the Pac 10 and it isn't Thomas.

Derrick Williams is easily the best player in the Pac 10, and one of the elite players in the country.

oh yea, the Pac 10 stinks this year tho.. probly looking at 3 teams, UW, UA, WSU getting into the tournament.

I was disappointed with Gaddy last year but I saw some real improvement in him this year and. at times, his loss will be felt but I agree with you that it will cause the others to step up their game. As I said, I like Overton coming off the bench because he always provides a spark and can change momentum. I think if he gets 8-10 minutes of playing time you will see him in foul trouble with his aggressive pressure defense. And yes, Venoy is the player with the alleged rape charge hanging over his head. There are quite a few conficting reports and from what I've heard she's got a checkered past so we'll have to see?

I've seen Derrick Williams play and he is good but he'll be facing probably the best defensive player in the Pac-10 in Justin Holiday so it will be interesting to see how that plays out. Should be a good one. I think my husky's win by 8-12 points.

Maybe so, but their court isn't nearly as cool as your Ducks.

Finally found you to be right about something :wacko: Nice. Those tree's are certainly amazing the way they protrude out of the floor. Tough to compete with Mr. Knight and all his money. We'll just have to "settle" again, I guess :tup:

I wasn't very impressed with Williams tonight. Yes, he's a beast inside but he doesn't create very well and he plays a little out of control when he goes to the hoop. He creates a lot of the initial contact inside and seems to get his share of the calls because of his size. Gets a high percentage of his points from the free throw line.

After seeing him play tonight I disagree with your assessment that he's easily the best player in the Pac-10. If you watch Isaiah's body of work he's the best and most complete player in the Pac-10. He does it all for the huskies. He is the best in the league at penetrating creating contact and finishing. He's got a great outside shot and his vision and ability to distribute the ball is unmatched. He was clearly the best player on the floor tonight.

He follows up a 27 point / 13 assist game versus Cal this past weekend with a 22 point / 10 assist / 6 rebound game tonight. IMO, Isaiah along with Clay Thompson of WSU, are front runners for Pac-10 player of the year. OK, enough of the Isaiah Thomas lovefest :wacko:

I wasn't very impressed with Williams tonight. Yes, he's a beast inside but he doesn't create very well and he plays a little out of control when he goes to the hoop. He creates a lot of the initial contact inside and seems to get his share of the calls because of his size. Gets a high percentage of his points from the free throw line.

After seeing him play tonight I disagree with your assessment that he's easily the best player in the Pac-10. If you watch Isaiah's body of work he's the best and most complete player in the Pac-10. He does it all for the huskies. He is the best in the league at penetrating creating contact and finishing. He's got a great outside shot and his vision and ability to distribute the ball is unmatched. He was clearly the best player on the floor tonight.

He follows up a 27 point / 13 assist game versus Cal this past weekend with a 22 point / 10 assist / 6 rebound game tonight. IMO, Isaiah along with Clay Thompson of WSU, are front runners for Pac-10 player of the year. OK, enough of the Isaiah Thomas lovefest :wacko:

agreed, Thomas is great and was the difference last night, I love the kid just talking some chit with DW easily being the best they both are great....... DW had 22 and 11, solid night the thing with him is those numbers seem dissapointing - he should be dominating more than that - but cmon, the guy is a ridiculous player.

Dawgs are gonna be TOUGH come March, they have some nice pieces and weapons to go along with Thomas. UA does not, not much to like with this years squad outside of DW - Miller is 1-2 years away from getting his elite classes and players in place.

Isaiah turned himself into an NBA prospect over the last two weeks. Really impressive stuff. This UW team has a whole lotta pieces. They still have a long ways to go if they want to make a big-time run come March, but the potential is there for really good things if guys like Terrence Ross and Aziz N'Diaye continue to grow. I can't agree with regards to MBA. He is one of the most disappointing players I have ever seen. He is so close to being really good that it just annoys you more than anything that he still has never figured out how to make layups consistently, as Marques so eloquently explained last night.

Williams is a great college player, and can be ridiculous as a slashing big, especially when he is playing other guys his size. He's going to have to keep evolving his game to have success at the next level. UW is just a bad matchup for him, as it is for any undersized big. Last night, Arizona needed another shotmaker. Their shooter (Crabbe?) was invisible. I think UCLA is probably the second most talented team in the conference overall, but Arizona has Williams, and in college, one great player can trump a solid team. The popular thinking is that this is still a 2-team conference come March. I can't see how neither UCLA or WSU make the tournament. One of them has got to. Sorry Professor, I just don't see it in the cards for your Ducks this year.

Edited by Seahawks21

With the field expanding to 69 teams this year, I have a hard time believing that the conference will get less than three teams in, again this year. Just get to 18-19 wins, and stay above .500 in the Pac-10, and you deserve to be there, in my opinion. Somebody (UCLA, WSU, Stanford, USC, etc.) should be able to get that done, one would think. If not, that means Washington probably runs away with the conference, with Arizona not far behind, and nobody else even close. That's the only way I see them being a two-team conference again... I just think that's unlikely to happen. One of those other teams should be able to get to 10-8 in conference play, you would think. If that happens for Washington State, they're at 20 wins (and they're in for sure). The others might be a bit more sketchy, as a 10-8 conference record would put the likes of UCLA, Stanford, and USC at only around 17-18 wins each.

Either way, I agree that Washington is definitely a team to watch... I thought they were dangerous last year, and they should be even moreso this year.

I can't agree with regards to MBA. He is one of the most disappointing players I have ever seen. He is so close to being really good that it just annoys you more than anything that he still has never figured out how to make layups consistently, as Marques so eloquently explained last night.

Agreed with most of your post until this? Maybe you're watching DVR'd games from last year and you're not aware of it? :wacko: Outside of Isaiah MBA has shown the most improvement and has moved his game to the next level. The guy has doubled his scoring average from last year and his development from last year to this year has been there for everyone to see. The kid is averaging 15.5 and 8 boards a game and has been pretty dominant inside. Plus, for a guy his size he shows great athleticism and constantly gets out on the break and makes things happen. I think MBA has been terrific.

The guy I'm dissapointed in is N' Diaye. I don't know much about the kid but he's pretty athletic for his size but he's so damn soft. He constantly gets pushed out of position and gets the ball taken away from him on offensive and defensive rebounds. I love having that big presence down low but geeze man up a little down there. Last night Arizona was just pushing him around and you could see he was outmatched physically.

IMO, their downfall this year might be that they don't have that tough guy down low. Besides BMA the dawgs have guys that are long and lean and I can see us getting beat on the boards and losing to a team in the tourney that we shouldn't lose to.

With the field expanding to 69 teams this year, I have a hard time believing that the conference will get less than three teams in, again this year. Just get to 18-19 wins, and stay above .500 in the Pac-10, and you deserve to be there, in my opinion. Somebody (UCLA, WSU, Stanford, USC, etc.) should be able to get that done, one would think. If not, that means Washington probably runs away with the conference, with Arizona not far behind, and nobody else even close. That's the only way I see them being a two-team conference again... I just think that's unlikely to happen. One of those other teams should be able to get to 10-8 in conference play, you would think. If that happens for Washington State, they're at 20 wins (and they're in for sure). The others might be a bit more sketchy, as a 10-8 conference record would put the likes of UCLA, Stanford, and USC at only around 17-18 wins each.

Either way, I agree that Washington is definitely a team to watch... I thought they were dangerous last year, and they should be even moreso this year.

I think the Pac-10 will get 4 in this year. Either USC or UCLA needs to have a great 2nd half but I see one of the two getting in. UW, WSU, Arizona and USC or UCLA will get in this year

I agree, one of them will get hot and find a way in. The trend I'm starting to notice is that if your conference gets a bad reputation, it is awfully hard to come back, RPI wise. The Pac-10 is a pretty good conference this year. It might not have tons of teams at the top, but it does have 5-6 decent teams. The problem is that the conference was so bad for the last two years or so, that all of the teams have really bad RPI's. Couple that with cupcake scheduling, you now have a hard time getting representation in the dance. Last night was the first time in 22 months that two ranked Pac-10 teams played each other in the regular season (Arizona was #25 in the coaches poll). Since there very well might not be another game in the Pac-10 all season between two ranked teams, nobody has the chance to improve their RPI. They're all basically stuck at this point.

The Pac-10 needs to start scheduling, and winning, better non-conference games immediately if they want to have any chance of routinely getting 5-6 teams into the tournament like they are used to. I think the teams are good enough, but I guess they just haven't proven it.

MBA can't make layups. It is just so frustrating. He is talented enough to average 18+. He has a better body, more moves, and is more athletic than almost every big he plays against, but the guy just cannot finish to save his life unless somebody sets a dunk on a platter for him. How many times EVERY GAME does he make his little spin move and get 2 feet away from the rim and can't finish. I would bet there is not one game this year where it didn't happen five times. If he makes his layups, he is dominant, and so are the Huskies.

90+ percent of all sophomore 7-footers are soft. N'Diaye was playing JUCO last year. It is going to take him some time. He is certainly a project. He has some intimidating flashes. I actually thought he did a fairly nice job with his footwork to keep up with Williams last night. I expected him to foul out much sooner. He has a LONG ways to go, but he has some things that simply cannot be taught. His length alone can be intimidating. He passes the eyeball test, which has an effect in itself. He's just so raw. It isn't fair to expect any polish out of the kid yet. He still has to learn the D1 game.

Edited by Seahawks21

Actually 68

You are correct... Even as I typed that, I knew it didn't seem right. I was thinking they were adding four games, but they already had one of those "play-in" games in place, so they're really only adding three games (and three teams).

DW had 22 and 11, solid night the thing with him is those numbers seem dissapointing

The numbers seemed more impressive than his actual performance. Since it was the only game I've seen him play, no way am I going to critique his ability or his current potential. This was the first game I've seen the Huskies play for a few weeks, and was downright amazed with Isiah's ability to distribute the ball. I've heard all about, now I believe.

MBA can't make layups. It is just so frustrating. He is talented enough to average 18+. He has a better body, more moves, and is more athletic than almost every big he plays against, but the guy just cannot finish to save his life unless somebody sets a dunk on a platter for him. How many times EVERY GAME does he make his little spin move and get 2 feet away from the rim and can't finish. I would bet there is not one game this year where it didn't happen five times. If he makes his layups, he is dominant, and so are the Huskies.

Another big game by MBA today ..... 30 and 9. I think he finishes just fine. :wacko:

Great effort by the Sun Devils today. They shot very well and gave great effort today they just don't have the horses to compete with Washingtons depth. Holiday was a no show today but others stepped up, especially MBA with 30 points and 9 boards. Isaiah was, well Isaiah, as he had another great effort with 19 points, 8 assists and 6 boards. It's pretty amazing how many boards this kid gets at 5' 9" :wacko: Strong and always gives maximum effort.

Another big game by MBA today ..... 30 and 9. I think he finishes just fine. :wacko:

LOL you are THAT guy. MBA has by far the best game of his career, and you take that as the example to say "I told you so". I refuse to stoop to the level of you and Wildcatz and call people names on a message board, but I KNEW exactly what you were going to write.

And Jake Locker is an accurate passer. See, he completed that pass to Kearse!~!~

LOL you are THAT guy. MBA has by far the best game of his career, and you take that as the example to say "I told you so". I refuse to stoop to the level of you and Wildcatz and call people names on a message board, but I KNEW exactly what you were going to write.

And Jake Locker is an accurate passer. See, he completed that pass to Kearse!~!~

Dude, grow up. I'm just pointing out facts and having a little fun with you. Why, is it OK for you to take jabs at me, in multiple posts and out of context, about not being a loyalist to the husky program because I like and follow other programs besides UW :wacko: but when I make a comment about a inaccurate comment you make about a Husky player you get your panties in a bunch?

Please show me where I called you a name on these boards? You made the comment that MBA can't make layups and if he could he might average 18 points. I just ponted out that he has made huge improvements from last year to this year. He has doubled his scoring average and been a dominant force inside. Sure, he'll miss contested shots around the rim but who doesn't? Does it diminish what he's doing this year? Bottom line is you are fast to critique but aren't very accepting of criticism.

Edited by theprofessor

• 4 weeks later...

He follows up a 27 point / 13 assist game versus Cal this past weekend with a 22 point / 10 assist / 6 rebound game tonight. IMO, Isaiah along with Clay Thompson of WSU, are front runners for Pac-10 player of the year. OK, enough of the Isaiah Thomas lovefest :tup:

:wacko:

lock it up - Arizona Pac 10 champs and D. Williams the CLEAR choice for Pac 10 player of the year as well as in the mix for National Player of The Year. Dude is sick and unfortunately for UA is looking like a top 10 pick next year, however Sean Miller has a top 5 class coming in, so I think it is safe to say the Cats are back as a national player again - this team isn't that talented and Miller has em coached up and playing well.

great game Sat capped off by DW single handidly getting the W for the Cats with those 2 late blocks.

hoping UA, UW can do some damage in March

Most entertaining game of the Pac-10 season. That was really fun. Miller looks like he can coach his butt off. I'm hoping we get to see this game again in the Pac-10 tournament.

Nothin' from nothin', but if that game is in Seattle, that last block isn't a block. Still, a pretty freakish play nonetheless.

Edited by Seahawks21

:wacko:

lock it up - Arizona Pac 10 champs and D. Williams the CLEAR choice for Pac 10 player of the year as well as in the mix for National Player of The Year. Dude is sick and unfortunately for UA is looking like a top 10 pick next year, however Sean Miller has a top 5 class coming in, so I think it is safe to say the Cats are back as a national player again - this team isn't that talented and Miller has em coached up and playing well.

great game Sat capped off by DW single handidly getting the W for the Cats with those 2 late blocks.

hoping UA, UW can do some damage in March

I'll be in Staples in a couple weeks to watch my Dawgs act some revennge on the Wildcats. Great game but UW should have won this game in Tucson. Blew the Cats out in Seattle and narrowly missed beating them on the road. Huskies make their free throws early on and it's over. DW had a great game but player of the year being a CLEAR choice? Don't see it with the year Isiah has had and also Klay at WSU. If it's a MVP vote the trophy, in my opinion, goes to Isiah Thomas. The kid does it all for the huskies. His ability to distribute is unmatched in college hoops this year.