[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Green Lantern

Pope Flick

:wacko: ALERT! Well, since the Captain America thread got a bunch of play...

They released a GL trailer back in January and it looked. BAD. Like goofy bad. Like I rolled my eyes and thought oh well, that's a DVD rental and they'll never make a sequel, such as it is.

Then, two days ago, this 4 minute clip got released:

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/greenlantern/

The 4 minute trailer is on top, the crap one from January is on the bottom.

This is part of DC's buildup to the following: another Superman reboot, the 3rd Batman/Nolan film, THEN a reboot of Batman (4th film) with the idea of crossing into a JLA movie, just like the Avengers. If true, GL is actually the key piece since a JLA movie (good luck with that btw) will have to be cosmically epic, and it might be starting here with the establishment of Sinestro.

In any event, GL still remains a very esoteric character that prances around in concepts that might be a bit heady for a massive runaway hit, but I can't help but think they've got a beautiful "5th Element" style film on their hands all of a sudden, and I for one am pleasntly surprised.

Hmmm....looks like it might be pretty good. I have to stop bashing movies with so much CGI. I don't know why all of the sudden I do, maybe its cause I'm a lighting guy and CGI work takes work from me :wacko: . I dunno...but knowing what it is, I think I might enjoy this one.

the thing that's keeping me from being totally geeked on all these superhero movies are the lead actors. i wish they would have brought in some unknowns vs. reynolds/evans. i fear it will be like affleck trying to be daredevil. it's not daredevil, it's affleck. luckily, christian bale is uber-talented and with nolan at the helm, the dark knight worked wonderfully. i'm not that confident here. the thor dude is somewhat of an unknown i guess, but he looks completely cheezy. evans was the human torch, so i'll be watching the human torch play captain america. reynolds is the guy in that bad sandra bullock movie, not the green freakin' lantern ... that's why i was excited with the whole brandon routh thing because i had never heard of him, but it seemed like he could be a killer superman. unfortunately, bryan singer choked every ounce of fun and coolness that superman ever known.

so i'll still check all these out because i love superhero movies, but my expectations could not be lower, which is probably a good thing.

another Superman reboot, the 3rd Batman/Nolan film, THEN a reboot of Batman (4th film)

whoo hoo can't have enough "reboots" :wacko:

PS mentioned before but if you're into these characters and following the movies, IMO the little clips this guy did were great (opening line is a dig on the old "I'm a Mac/I'm a PC" commercials). Tons of follow-ups and most very well done IMO. Hell a lot better writing than in most of the movies.

Edited by BeeR

This is part of DC's buildup to the following: another Superman reboot, the 3rd Batman/Nolan film, THEN a reboot of Batman (4th film) with the idea of crossing into a JLA movie, just like the Avengers.

I keep thinking the constant "re-boots" are a sign of creative bankruptcy in Hollywood, but then again, maybe they ARE huge comic nerds and are doing a MASSIVE conceptual tribute to the recent state of the comics industry.

Hmmm....looks like it might be pretty good. I have to stop bashing movies with so much CGI. I don't know why all of the sudden I do, maybe its cause I'm a lighting guy and CGI work takes work from me :wacko: . I dunno...but knowing what it is, I think I might enjoy this one.

Might have more to do with the fact that in a LOT of movies CGI is just a crutch - it's used because they have no better ideas.

I tend to be more of a practical effects guy myself, but the ideal is probably to mix and match.

Might have more to do with the fact that in a LOT of movies CGI is just a crutch - it's used because they have no better ideas.

I tend to be more of a practical effects guy myself, but the ideal is probably to mix and match.

I don't think its a lack of ideas..just the opposite. The ideas are so extreme, it would be nearly impossible to create the set pieces for them. Again, I'm not a CGI guy but I do respect the hell out of those guys and what they can do. Put them on set with lights and grip gear, however, and they would basically stand there with a thumb up there ass.

I keep thinking the constant "re-boots" are a sign of creative bankruptcy in Hollywood, but then again, maybe they ARE huge comic nerds and are doing a MASSIVE conceptual tribute to the recent state of the comics industry.

Well, what has been a reboot? Typically it's either the lead actor and/or director leaving after at least 2 films. Batman got rebooted in part because the arc that began with the first Burton film crashed and burned by the time Clooney had taken the cowl and cape. Even the Burton film can be seen as a reboot from the 60s film. :wacko: It had been nearly 20 years between Superman films and that was actually a sequel to Superman 2, it's just unfortunate they had to make him a creep.

I suppose they could have kept going on in Spiderman, given that they never did the Lizard with Dr Connor established in the first film and ignored the director/casting change but deals get made to allow those people to get their fingerprints all over it.

My understanding is that the third Nolan film will have a pretty definitive ending(something about him dying), so the 4th Batman film (which he'll be producing) is going to be the Batman film that establishes itself in the new Superman film's universe, since I think the feeling is that the current one feels so stand alone.

Still, to me JLA seems pie in the sky. Batman looks dumb in the light and they're doomed if they try to pull the ol' "Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, GL and Flash are sitting at a big round table when the alarm goes off..."

Edited by Pope Flick

Yeah, I'm never excited by CGI either. My favorite looking films are the ones from the 70s. I guess I'm just too old.

Speaking of old, a Batman reboot just goes to show you that movies are made for kids. As soon as it's time for another generation, they start all over again (i.e. the new Spider-Man movie reboot). I guess they have no new stories to tell, so they just tell the same ones over and over again to a whole new batch of kids.

Edited by electricrelish

Sign me up for Green Lantern, Thor, Captain America and X-Men:First Class. I love the superhero genre no matter how bad they may be (well... except Catwoman. I skipped that one.)

Green Lantern and Captain America are at the top of my list followed by Thor and X-Men. I'm hoping 2 out of the 4 could be very good movies. I imagine at least one of them will be a stinker.

Still, to me JLA seems pie in the sky. Batman looks dumb in the light and they're doomed if they try to pull the ol' "Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, GL and Flash are sitting at a big round table when the alarm goes off..."

"I, Superman, will stop the nuclear missile that's just been launched towards London; Flash, you run at the speed of light to Russia and free the kidnapped premier; Batman, go use your supercomputer to find out who might be behind this; Wonder Woman, take your invisible plane to Washington and protect the president with your bulletproof bracelets, super-strength, and magic lasso; Green Lantern, use your magic ring to monitor the earth and intercept any further missile launches; Aquaman, you go talk to some fish."

Looks great, and to think... Ryan Reynolds was just the snarky guy in Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place. Loved that show!

He was also a little teenage bitch-boy on Canadian teen soap Thirteen.

:wacko:

At least that's what some guy told a friend of mine once.

• 2 months later...

ok, it's not going to win an oscar for best picture, but i chomped the popcorn and was entertained for a couple hours. i was more entertained than during thor. of course, i am a comic book geek. so despite all the slamming from the critics, dare i say, i enjoyed it ... even liked reynolds.

the thing that's keeping me from being totally geeked on all these superhero movies are the lead actors. i wish they would have brought in some unknowns vs. reynolds/evans.

I'm sufficiently out of the pop culture loop that all these lead actors are unknowns to me, which I'm kinda glad about. The only one I'm familiar with is RDJ as Iron Man, which is fine because he's so pimp in that role.

ok, it's not going to win an oscar for best picture, but i chomped the popcorn and was entertained for a couple hours. i was more entertained than during thor. of course, i am a comic book geek. so despite all the slamming from the critics, dare i say, i enjoyed it ... even liked reynolds.

I liked it quite a bit as well, but it too is right in my wheel house for entertainment.

I will say this though, I found it interesting that both Thor and GL are minutes apart in runtime. But I'll honestly say Thor felt like it was 90 minutes, and GL felt 2 1/2 hours. I really think all the HH material could've been cut/removed to simplify things a bit. That's what made Thor move imo.

I'm probably skipping this one...and maybe Captain America as well...

Thor and X-Men will be considered the top 2 blockbuster movies for the summer....regardless of what the box office numbers say..

Not sure what you mean by that, and there's a little film called Harry Potter part something or other that's going to smoke the totals of all films mentioned in this thread, and probably transformers as well.