[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cops pepper spray unruly 8 yr old

buddahj

Not sure about Michigan law, but around here, once a kid threatens bodily harm on either teachers,admin, or

other students, the right to a free education goes out the door.

I think it has to, simply to avoid far greater losses as the other students' will to learn is destroyed, or worse.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about Michigan law, but around here, once a kid threatens bodily harm on either teachers,admin, or

other students, the right to a free education goes out the door.

It's federal law. That education can be in a different spot such as an alternative placement, but that right to an education doesn't go away.

Edit: Here's a nice summary.

Edited by Egret

I may be a dooooshbag. Everyone is doooooshbag to someone. I just didn't think that the kid was a dooooshbag and I don't necessarily think the mother is a POS.

Again, it would be nice if these issues were black and white, but in my experience, they almost never are.

exactly, if he is truly not like this anywhere else then there is something in particular that is bothering him...

Egret - I know for certain that you are correct about what you are saying. I am wondering if MI law runs the way PA law runs? I mean I am assuming it is PA law and not Pittsburgh School District rules but what I mean is do the kids with any sort of disability, that includes smart over achieving kids, get Individual Education[/b] Plans? Those IEP's that take away the ability to discipline those kids based on rules that an advocate got put in place? I mean I believe in the IEP for kids with disabilities to make sure the schools are doing what they need to do for those kids but not when it ties the hands of being able to deal with a problem kid.

Also I don't remember who up there said that any kid that threatens another child or teacher will be tossed but I assure you that the exact thing Egret is referring to does not make it that simple.

exactly, if he is truly not like this anywhere else then there is something in particular that is bothering him...

Surely, but forgive me if I don't assume that is actually the case.

I mean, in one story, she shows up and says "probably deserved it" when she found out her 8 year old kid got pepper sprayed. In another she's trying to tell us that he's a total angel most of the time and can't figure out what go into him?

What normally chill 8 year old kid ever needs to be pepper sprayed?

I mean, in one story, she shows up and says "probably deserved it" when she found out her 8 year old kid got pepper sprayed. In another she's trying to tell us that he's a total angel most of the time and can't figure out what go into him?

Agreed. I would bet large quantities of $$ that this boy is a behavior problem in all settings.

maybe she knows what he has done on a daily basis at school?...I knew people who were like that even when I was in HS...they were fine elsewhere, but would just randomly flip out at school...

maybe she knows what he has done on a daily basis at school?...I knew people who were like that even when I was in HS...they were fine elsewhere, but would just randomly flip out at school...

there's flipping out and then there's what this kid did. And this kid is only eight. Not many 8-year-olds taunt the police.

Egret - I know for certain that you are correct about what you are saying. I am wondering if MI law runs the way PA law runs? I mean I am assuming it is PA law and not Pittsburgh School District rules but what I mean is do the kids with any sort of disability, that includes smart over achieving kids, get Individual Education[/b] Plans? Those IEP's that take away the ability to discipline those kids based on rules that an advocate got put in place? I mean I believe in the IEP for kids with disabilities to make sure the schools are doing what they need to do for those kids but not when it ties the hands of being able to deal with a problem kid.

Also I don't remember who up there said that any kid that threatens another child or teacher will be tossed but I assure you that the exact thing Egret is referring to does not make it that simple.

With an IEP and discipline, there needs to be a manifest determination review to see if the behavior was caused by the disability. All states require that at a minimum. Some states go above and beyond the federal guidelines. On the one hand it is very good to have a law like this as it doesn't let schools kick out kids w/ disabilities like in the days before this law was enacted. On the other hand, it can really tie the hands of a school system when dealing with student's violence.