[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NBA Playoffs

Gopher

He has never been soft. And he is averaging the same stats he does every year. they beat LA in 4, and now all of a sudden people recognize him. Just insane.

dallas has never had someone like Chandler in the paint. to finish and defend. It makes life so much easier on everyone else. Dirk has played more in the block this post season than the past, but he has always been clutch. But like the Lakers after Shaq left, and Wade the year after they won it all, if you dont have a supporting cast, you dont get out of the first round. This yr Dallas has a legitimate 5 for the first time in 2 decades. they have knock down shooters all over the floor. And they have a penetrator in JJ, and a veteran leader in Kidd who is the glue guy. terry is also playing better than he has in several post seasons. This team is poised to make a run, and they are doing it. I hope it ends with a parade in Big D. Dirk deserves it, and he wont ever get the respect he is due, until he wins a title.

numbers are for the morning after when I read the paper....watching him play, he has either had a spine transplant or was a catfish in the playoffs in previous years and now has had one surgically placed for this playoff run...

either way, he's played extremely well ...

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, Im not kidding. Dirk has always got a bad rap, because he couldnt single handedly get his team a ring.

His coach, who played with Bird and McHale, and also said he was better than Bird, and he should know. Many consider Bird a all time 10 great, but if Dirk is better, he doesnt stack up? Now Im not saying he is a top 10 all time great. But Bird gets that rep, and I have no problem with people comparing the 2, and many including Charles Barkley thinking Dirk is better right now, than Larry legend ever was.

he wasn't exactly carrying the team in prior years...

OKC hit 56% from the field. How often is that going to happen. How often in these playoffs or even in the regular season, have the Dallas bench been outscored, let alone by 21 pts. If you are going to argue, look at all the facts. And as good as Westbrook is, he is a turnover machine, and last night had 4 TO and 4 assists in 28 minutes. Maynor played lights out, where Westbrook played himself to the bench. My take is if Westbrook would have finished that game, Dallas wins. So you support my point. How many times is Brooks going to sit Westbrook for Maynor in the 4th. How many times is the OKC bench going to outplay the Dallas bench, which was not suppose to happen as you said above. You think maybe that was the reason why they won? Its like you make my point for me in your argument, yet argue anyway for the sake of arguing.

And Durant had 40 game 1, so he was no slouch then either. And Dirk scored half, 24 of his 48 from the line. So even if he missed 8 FT, they still win game 1.

Bottom line Dallas played poor last night and lost. Dallas has won their last 3 road games vs Portland and LA, you think they are scared to play in OKC, after they beat them in OKC both times this year. Dallas has the best road record in the NBA this year. I dont see OKC beating Dallas 4 times.

Twice since last Wednesday, OKC has shot well enough and had enough more offensive rebounds than they did on Thursday night to effectively duplicate the 56% shooting performance. For instance, on Sunday, they missed 5 more shots than they would have had they shot 56%, but they also had 5 more offensive rebounds. The Wednesday prior, same story only it was 6 and 6. After all, if you get your own rebound, missing a shot isn't as bad.

Whatever, we know the story. When a team that you like loses, it is nearly always because the other team played out of their head and your team brought their B game. Trust me, we've heard it from you before. The Sooners, Mavs, Cowboys, and Rangers are incapable of losing unless something freakish happens.

Oh, and for the record, I think Dallas wins this series. I just think you were underselling OKC a bit. Dallas is not so much better that OKC has to play perfectly to beat them.

Edited by detlef

:wacko:

I love dirk. he is one of my favorite players in the NBA to watch right now. his offensive game is simply phenomenal. but come on....

in the 2011 playoffs, he's been Bird-like....but I can't even say "as good as" or "better than" because he's only played like this during the 2011 playoffs....

had he played like this the past 5 seasons, then I could put him in Bird's category....but this is just not the case and Brent went too far with the "better than Bird" line....

he wasn't exactly carrying the team in prior years...

Exactly. And, like you and Azz, I'm not knocking Dirk. But a little perspective and little less revisionist history is always nice.

He certainly wasn't "carrying" the team when they got bounced by Golden State after winning 67 games in the regular season.

Brent, the simple fact is this. Dallas has had a very good team with plenty of pieces and an active owner who is not afraid to spend for basically all of Dirk's career. So it's not like he's been stuck with a bunch of nobodies this whole time. And, as great a scorer as Dirk has been, they've always had a nice 2nd or 3rd scoring threat. There have been great players who have gotten their team as far as Dirk has with less. Few have won it all on their own (but again, Dirk has hardly been "on his own"), but, so far, neither has Dirk.

So, I don't think the knocks have been totally unfair.

All that said, he's already had a great career and he's a guy who I would love to see get some hardware for his troubles.

But he's not better than Bird. This entire week, when the talking heads have been trying to rank him, to a man, they basically say, "now let's not get carried away" when Bird's name comes up.

Exactly. And, like you and Azz, I'm not knocking Dirk. But a little perspective and little less revisionist history is always nice.

He certainly wasn't "carrying" the team when they got bounced by Golden State after winning 67 games in the regular season.

Brent, the simple fact is this. Dallas has had a very good team with plenty of pieces and an active owner who is not afraid to spend for basically all of Dirk's career. So it's not like he's been stuck with a bunch of nobodies this whole time. And, as great a scorer as Dirk has been, they've always had a nice 2nd or 3rd scoring threat. There have been great players who have gotten their team as far as Dirk has with less. Few have won it all on their own (but again, Dirk has hardly been "on his own"), but, so far, neither has Dirk.

All that said, he's already had a great career and he's a guy who I would love to see get some hardware for his troubles.

But he's not better than Bird. This entire week, when the talking heads have been trying to rank him, to a man, they basically say, "now let's not get carried away" when Bird's name comes up.

the only way he could warrant a Bird comparison is if they won in '06 and then he played like this in '11...and won the title on top of that....and even then, basketball was a different game back then and I still say it's an apples/oranges comparison...

Whatever, we know the story. When a team that you like loses, it is nearly always because the other team played out of their head and your team brought their B game. Trust me, we've heard it from you before. The Sooners, Mavs, Cowboys, and Rangers are incapable of losing unless something freakish happens.

Let's not forget any Brent-owned fantasy team.

Let's not forget any Brent-owned fantasy team.

LMAO, I never thought Dallas would beat LA, and get here. Never thought Texas would actually get by the Yanks last post season, and I havent pimped the Cowboys in a while. OU, Im as big a blind ass homer as it gets. So um, yea whatever.

Besides, when a team sweeps the 2 time defending Champs, and then plays a young team, they have owned, is it really that unusual, that you would expect them now to win this series, or the same thing with beating the WS Champs last yr, then playing a team who couldnt hit themselves out of a wet paper bag all season, who as we see now, got hot in the playoffs.

And look at my fantasy teams over the years. Its usually an upset when I lose. :wacko:

Edited by Brent

in the 2011 playoffs, he's been Bird-like....but I can't even say "as good as" or "better than" because he's only played like this during the 2011 playoffs....

had he played like this the past 5 seasons, then I could put him in Bird's category....but this is just not the case and Brent went too far with the "better than Bird" line....

Umm, I didnt say he was better than Bird. I said his coach said that, not me. So repeating what others have said, isnt me going to far.

But Ill leave this for your reading pleasure :wacko:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirk_Nowitzki

Dirk Werner Nowitzki (German pronunciation: [ˈdɪʁk ˈvɛʁnɐ noˈvɪtski]) (born June 19, 1978) is a German professional basketball player who plays for the Dallas Mavericks of the National Basketball Association (NBA). An alumnus of Röntgen Gymnasium and DJK Würzburg basketball club, Nowitzki was drafted ninth overall by the Milwaukee Bucks in the 1998 NBA Draft, and was immediately traded to the Mavericks, where he has played ever since. Standing at 7 ft 0 in (2.13 m), Nowitzki plays the power forward position but also has the mobility, size, and shooting ability to play the other frontcourt positions, center and small forward.

Nowitzki has led the Mavericks to eleven consecutive NBA Playoffs (2000–01 to 2010–11), including Conference Finals appearances in 2003 and in 2011 and an NBA Finals appearance in 2006. He is a ten-time NBA All-Star and eleven-time member of the All-NBA Teams, and is the first European-born player in NBA history to receive the NBA Most Valuable Player award.[1] He is the first Maverick ever to be voted into an All-NBA Team and also holds several all-time Mavericks franchise records.[2]

From 2000 to 2007 he was the best player in the NBA, as per his win shares. Despite his league-leading performances in those 7 years, he only won the MVP once. Nowitzki and only three players in NBA history have averaged more than 25 points and 10 rebounds in the playoffs. Only Nowitzki and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar have managed four consecutive 30 point 15 rebound games in the playoffs. Additionally, Nowitzki is the only player in NBA history to get over 100 blocks and 150 three pointers in a single season.

Nowitzki led the German national basketball team to a bronze medal in the 2002 FIBA World Championship and the silver medal in EuroBasket 2005, and was leading scorer and elected Most Valuable Player in both tournaments. Regarded as one of the best European players in basketball history, Nowitzki has been a seven time European Player of the Year, being named the Euroscar European Basketball Player of the Year by the Italian sports newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport for five years in a row, the Mister Europa European Player of the Year by the Italian sports magazine Superbasket in 2005, and the FIBA Europe Basketball Player of the Year the same year.[2]

When they say you are the only person in NBA history to do this, or one of 3 in NBA history to do that, or you are the best player in the NBA , as per his win shares. You are no slouch, and deserve recognition, that he is finally getting today.

Edited by Brent

Twice since last Wednesday, OKC has shot well enough and had enough more offensive rebounds than they did on Thursday night to effectively duplicate the 56% shooting performance. For instance, on Sunday, they missed 5 more shots than they would have had they shot 56%, but they also had 5 more offensive rebounds. The Wednesday prior, same story only it was 6 and 6. After all, if you get your own rebound, missing a shot isn't as bad.

Oh, and for the record, I think Dallas wins this series. I just think you were underselling OKC a bit. Dallas is not so much better that OKC has to play perfectly to beat them.

Really, so if you get the offensive rebound but miss the next shot, they give you the 2 or 3 points? :wacko:

How funny you now say dallas wins the series, and argue for the sake of arguing, even when you make comments like I highlighted above.

what did I say before. Do you even read before you start posting. The Lakers after Shaq - before Gasol was a one and done team. Even with Kobe. Without Shaq or Gasol, Kobe never won a thing. The Heat after Shaq, have been just like Dallas, one and done, or maybe if they are lucky got to round 2, and lost there, until now. And they had Wade in his prime. Had the Lakers or Heat had a bunch of no bodies, Umm No. So why is it they couldnt win big without a dominating supporting cast, but you criticize Dallas and Dirk for not being able to do what Kobe and Wade couldnt do either, until you surround them with more talent. This yr Dallas is surrounded with more talent, and Chandler has changed this team. He is the heart of it, and it plays defense because he bought into it, and everyone else is following in line with that. And Dirk is being Dirk, scoring his playoff avg from years past, but he has help. You dont think Barea helps when he splits the defense and gets and easy 2, or passes to wide open shooters on the wing, sometimes even Dirk wide open on the wing. It also makes it much tougher to double Dirk, like Golden State did in 2007. And that team was mentally flawed with Josh Howard as its 2nd best player. He could be great one game, or a mental case the next. You never knew. Golden State wasnt this great team, Dallas was a terrible match up for them. Im not making excuses for Dallas, they haven;t got it done when it matters most. But to blame the only player who was getting it done, and calling him soft, is just crazy. What made him soft, because he shot jump shots, and didnt play great D. Well, he still takes mostly jump shots, and no one is going to call him a great defender. But because they beat LA, he is now getting his due.

Edited by Brent

Really, so if you get the offensive rebound but miss the next shot, they give you the 2 or 3 points? :wacko:

How funny you now say dallas wins the series, and argue for the sake of arguing, even when you make comments like I highlighted above.

Um, that would be a great point if they had a ton of offensive rebounds and yet shot horribly from the field in the two games I mentioned. But, see, I actually referenced those games because they, not only had more offensive rebounds, but also only shot marginally worse. So, in this case, it appears they were actually making the 2nd shot with respectable frequency. Enough to essentially make up for the fact that they didn't shoot as well as they did the other night.

Whatever, my point was and remains that your assertion that this was OKC at their finest and Dallas at their less than finest and that was the only reason why OKC won is silly. That, in your typically myopic manner, you were quick to point out that, had Dirk continued his amazingly long FT streak that was bound to end eventually and Peja made his 3 pt shot, it would have been tied, forgetting that it wasn't as if OKC was doing everything right down the stretch themselves. In other words, you can't have it both ways.

I do think that Dallas should win this series, but not because their B game is good enough and OKC needs to play lights out. But because they're a marginally better team. That is my issue with you. Well, that's my issue with you this time.

what did I say before. Do you even read before you start posting. The Lakers after Shaq - before Gasol was a one and done team. Even with Kobe. Without Shaq or Gasol, Kobe never won a thing. The Heat after Shaq, have been just like Dallas, one and done, or maybe if they are lucky got to round 2, and lost there, until now. And they had Wade in his prime. Had the Lakers or Heat had a bunch of no bodies, Umm No. So why is it they couldnt win big without a dominating supporting cast, but you criticize Dallas and Dirk for not being able to do what Kobe and Wade couldnt do either, until you surround them with more talent. This yr Dallas is surrounded with more talent, and Chandler has changed this team. He is the heart of it, and it plays defense because he bought into it, and everyone else is following in line with that. And Dirk is being Dirk, scoring his playoff avg from years past, but he has help. You dont think Barea helps when he splits the defense and gets and easy 2, or passes to wide open shooters on the wing, sometimes even Dirk wide open on the wing. It also makes it much tougher to double Dirk, like Golden State did in 2007. And that team was mentally flawed with Josh Howard as its 2nd best player. He could be great one game, or a mental case the next. You never knew. Golden State wasnt this great team, Dallas was a terrible match up for them. Im not making excuses for Dallas, they haven;t got it done when it matters most. But to blame the only player who was getting it done, and calling him soft, is just crazy. What made him soft, because he shot jump shots, and didnt play great D. Well, he still takes mostly jump shots, and no one is going to call him a great defender. But because they beat LA, he is now getting his due.

Dude

1) I said he was a great player

2) I merely said that other players have taken teams as far as Dirk has with less help than Dirk has had most of his career. As in, taken their team to the finals but not closed the deal. See AI with Philly, Barkley with the Suns. Were those teams loaded? Absolutely not. So, that's my point.

3) Like it or not, winning 67 games and getting bounced in the first round is a wart on his resume. It doesn't make him a bad player, but it doesn't help that he really didn't show up until game 5 when they were already down 3-1. I think the Dirk we're seeing today would assert himself better than he managed to do back then.

4) You might want to recognize that they still haven't won it all yet. This Dallas team looks as complete and gritty as any of the previous versions and Dirk seems to be on a mission. So this might be the year. But it isn't yet. They still need to win 7 more game.

5) Mostly my issue is with your statement is that Dirk has had no help until now, which is plainly false.

Edited by detlef

it's nice to see dirk stepping his game up in the playoffs. first time in his (pretty long at this point) career. good for him. but he does it for a couple series and suddenly he's better than larry legend? :wacko:

The mans name is Rick Carlisle. Give him a call and take it up with him.

And for the record, I do not think they win the Championship this year. The East is finally better at the top than the West. In fact, Dallas doesnt win it this yr, I dont see them winning it any time soon. And Dirk goes without a title. So I dont agree you can be better than Larry Legend if you never win a title. But I can think he is playing better than larry ever did, right now.

He's soft, or has been until now. He seems to have had a spine transplant this year, getting one made of bone instead of jello.

Spoken like someone who hasn't watched Dirk play over the years. He's always played the way he's playing. The only thing that's changed is his attitude.

27 days, they lost 8 games ago to Portland.

Yeah, that's what I meant. On drugs from root canal, four wisdom teeth removed, crown, filling.

You have to be kidding. Through now, the guy has been a flopping wuss

Flopping wuss so far has been Durant

:wacko:

I love dirk. he is one of my favorite players in the NBA to watch right now. his offensive game is simply phenomenal. but come on....

I'm not arguing here, but Bird was surrounded by HoFers. The best player Dirk has played with was Nash years and years ago. The best player he's played with since Nash is... Terry?

And you Dirk haters fail to realize that the guy has carried the Mavs to how many straight 50 win seasons? At least he didn't bitch out and bail on his city like the so called King did.

so much for home court in this series. Dirk had a C game, and they stil won on the road.

On top of that, with 3 minutes left in the game OKC had 34 free throw attempts to 12. Home cooking happens, and to be a champion you have to beat it. Tonight was huge.

Shawn Marion and Tyson Chandler were massive tonight. As was Jason Kidd. Dirk looked off all game, but woke up enough in the fourth to help put it away. Keeping OKC under 90 was massive also.

Oh, and Bee Beard Harden is a Manu flop clone. I have to think the league will review the Chandler technical and retract it. Harden and other flopping nancies need to be fined for garbage like that. Oh, and Brian Wilson called. He wants his gimmick back. I got tired head every time I saw the Fear the Beard signs in the background.

Dallas needs to come out in game 4, and think knock out. A 3-1 lead on this young team would be huge for Dallas, especially with 2 of the final 3 at home.

Absolutely. If Dallas can find a way to win on Monday I think it's over in 5. If Dallas can jump on them early on Monday I could see an implosion. Dirk is going to have to show up on Monday to do that though.

Umm, I didnt say he was better than Bird. I said his coach said that, not me. So repeating what others have said, isnt me going to far.

But Ill leave this for your reading pleasure :wacko:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirk_Nowitzki

Dirk Werner Nowitzki (German pronunciation: [ˈdɪʁk ˈvɛʁnɐ noˈvɪtski]) (born June 19, 1978) is a German professional basketball player who plays for the Dallas Mavericks of the National Basketball Association (NBA). An alumnus of Röntgen Gymnasium and DJK Würzburg basketball club, Nowitzki was drafted ninth overall by the Milwaukee Bucks in the 1998 NBA Draft, and was immediately traded to the Mavericks, where he has played ever since. Standing at 7 ft 0 in (2.13 m), Nowitzki plays the power forward position but also has the mobility, size, and shooting ability to play the other frontcourt positions, center and small forward.

Nowitzki has led the Mavericks to eleven consecutive NBA Playoffs (2000–01 to 2010–11), including Conference Finals appearances in 2003 and in 2011 and an NBA Finals appearance in 2006. He is a ten-time NBA All-Star and eleven-time member of the All-NBA Teams, and is the first European-born player in NBA history to receive the NBA Most Valuable Player award.[1] He is the first Maverick ever to be voted into an All-NBA Team and also holds several all-time Mavericks franchise records.[2]

From 2000 to 2007 he was the best player in the NBA, as per his win shares. Despite his league-leading performances in those 7 years, he only won the MVP once. Nowitzki and only three players in NBA history have averaged more than 25 points and 10 rebounds in the playoffs. Only Nowitzki and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar have managed four consecutive 30 point 15 rebound games in the playoffs. Additionally, Nowitzki is the only player in NBA history to get over 100 blocks and 150 three pointers in a single season.

Nowitzki led the German national basketball team to a bronze medal in the 2002 FIBA World Championship and the silver medal in EuroBasket 2005, and was leading scorer and elected Most Valuable Player in both tournaments. Regarded as one of the best European players in basketball history, Nowitzki has been a seven time European Player of the Year, being named the Euroscar European Basketball Player of the Year by the Italian sports newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport for five years in a row, the Mister Europa European Player of the Year by the Italian sports magazine Superbasket in 2005, and the FIBA Europe Basketball Player of the Year the same year.[2]

When they say you are the only person in NBA history to do this, or one of 3 in NBA history to do that, or you are the best player in the NBA , as per his win shares. You are no slouch, and deserve recognition, that he is finally getting today.

FYI, my entire post wasn't aimed at you...if you didn't make the Bird comparison then it shouldn't worry you...no need for the novel...

Spoken like someone who hasn't watched Dirk play over the years. He's always played the way he's playing. The only thing that's changed is his attitude.

Um..........yeah, that's exactly what is meant by "spine".

FYI, my entire post wasn't aimed at you...if you didn't make the Bird comparison then it shouldn't worry you...no need for the novel...

Since when is 3 sentences a novel. the rest was a link of his accomplishments, and I even listed the link of the source.

Besides Im over trying to convince people Dirk hasnt been the problem in Dallas the last decade. Dallas would have been a lottery team without him, and that isnt debatable.

Edited by Brent

Besides Im over trying to convince people Dirk hasnt been the problem in Dallas the last decade. Dallas would have been a lottery team without him, and that isnt debatable.

I can't believe anyone would say Nowitzki has been the problem. Far from it. Some of us would challenge the heights he's being elevated to based on this season's playoffs and I'm always going to be convinced that until this year he has lacked guts.

Clearly he is, alongside Rose, the player of the playoffs so far though.

And, FWIW, I agree about your prediction. If Dallas take the next one, it's over in 5.