[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

PAC12 Monster Media Deal

kpholmes

Phenomenal Deal for the Conference of Champions - Larry Scott is the man and in all honesty needs to run the NCAA - dude gets it.

Pac 12 is going to dominate - LA, SF, Phx, Sea, Den, top 20 markets and Pdx, SLC not far behind.

hugh hugh deal for the pac 12

Phenomenal Deal for the Conference of Champions

Why do they call them that? Being serious. It can't really be because of football? Is it just all sports? Outside of USC, haven't there been only a few other Pac 10 teams to ever win a national title ever?

Anyway on topic, the money has been just getting crazier and crazier the last few years. Ever since the ACC signed that big deal a few years back it seems like each one keeps moving up the scale. Granted I think most are for 10 years so I suppose it'll even out over the years.

I'm jumping back off topic again, but I think these kind of deals are going to be the main reason we will never have an actual playoff system in college. Everybody is getting more money than they ever had. So people will become more and more complacent and avoid "rocking the boat" to start a true playoff. It's good for everyone in the short run. I just think it kind of works against the chance to have some real playoff for the fans in the future. Hopefully I'm wrong. :wacko:

Why do they call them that? Being serious. It can't really be because of football? Is it just all sports? Outside of USC, haven't there been only a few other Pac 10 teams to ever win a national title ever?

Anyway on topic, the money has been just getting crazier and crazier the last few years. Ever since the ACC signed that big deal a few years back it seems like each one keeps moving up the scale. Granted I think most are for 10 years so I suppose it'll even out over the years.

I'm jumping back off topic again, but I think these kind of deals are going to be the main reason we will never have an actual playoff system in college. Everybody is getting more money than they ever had. So people will become more and more complacent and avoid "rocking the boat" to start a true playoff. It's good for everyone in the short run. I just think it kind of works against the chance to have some real playoff for the fans in the future. Hopefully I'm wrong. :wacko:

The self-proclaimed "Conference of Champions," the Pac-10 has won more NCAA National Team Championships than any other conference in history. In fact, the top three schools with the most NCAA championships belong to the Pac-10 (UCLA, Stanford and the University of Southern California, in that order).

boom

prett good little hoops program over the years in Westwood.

The Pac-10 has won 1 NC in football in the last 30 years, and that was SC over my Sooners.

meh.... who cares......

ETA: the reason Texas didnt join the Pac-10, is because they signed a TV deal themselves for 300 million over 20 years, they dont split with anyone. Plus the 20+ mil a year from the Big 12.

The Pac-10 would not allow indivdual team deals, which is why Texas didnt join this conference.

Each Pac-10 team will receive 21 Million a year for 12 years from this TV contract.

Texas alone will receive 15 million a year for 30 years from its own deal, and another 20 million a year from the Big 12 conference deal.

OU already has their own network in the works, which isnt quite as large as Texas, but is in the neighborhood, that should be released in 2012.

Edited by Brent

prett good little hoops program over the years in Westwood.

Sorry, I was only alive during one of UCLA's men's basketball championships.

ETA. I really didn't bring it up to hijack or talk trash about the PAC10. I guess I was just kind of wondering out loud as I've never (in my lifetime) thought that they were "the conference of champions" in any sport that I've followed. It's great they have that kind of history though.

Edited by Square

The Pac-10 has won 1 NC in football in the last 30 years, and that was SC over my Sooners.

meh.... who cares......

ETA: the reason Texas didnt join the Pac-10, is because they signed a TV deal themselves for 300 million over 20 years, they dont split with anyone. Plus the 20+ mil a year from the Big 12.

The Pac-10 would not allow indivdual team deals, which is why Texas didnt join this conference.

Each Pac-10 team will receive 21 Million a year for 12 years from this TV contract.

Texas alone will receive 15 million a year for 30 years from its own deal, and another 20 million a year from the Big 12 conference deal.

OU already has their own network in the works, which isnt quite as large as Texas, but is in the neighborhood, that should be released in 2012.

Nitpicking, I know, but I believe UW got credit for a National Championship in '91. Don't know if they won the AP though. Curious, did the Texas deal set off any tremors with the rest of the Big-12 teams?

As for the Pac-10 deal, I think the national exposure for football in particular is the primary benefit. High school kids would like to know that some of their college games will likely appear on stations like ESPN. The money is going to be great for the schools that have either shut down secondary athletic programs or were facing the reality that they would soon have to do so. Agree on Larry Scott. As opposed to the last commissioner, it's nice to hear a guy talk optimistically about the future, and you can tell the guy has a hunger to see the conference compete with the other power conferences, instead of sitting back and relying on the Pac-10 name to bring the recognition on it's own, while refusing to compromise or budge off of decades old norms.

Edited by Seahawks21

Curious, did the Texas deal set off any tremors with the rest of the Big-12 teams?
Most of Nebraska was pretty happy that we got out while the getting "was good". Just don't trust Texas or commissioner Beebe. I'd be surprised if the Big 12 is still the same in 5-7 years. It's not hard to see that Texas wants to go the route of a Notre Dame and not split their pie with anyone long term.

The self-proclaimed "Conference of Champions," the Pac-10 has won more NCAA National Team Championships than any other conference in history. In fact, the top three schools with the most NCAA championships belong to the Pac-10 (UCLA, Stanford and the University of Southern California, in that order).

boom

Water Polo, Tennis, Gymnastics, Softball and Volleyball make up half. :wacko: This is a football board.

Water Polo, Tennis, Gymnastics, Softball and Volleyball make up half. :tup: This is a football board.

Women's volleyball is an amazing sport and should be on television constantly (as long as they mandate they all wear those shorts) :wacko: