[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bandon Dunes

theprofessor

I'm crossing another "must do" off of my bucket lest as I'm getting to play one of the premier golf courses in the world this July. I am traveling down with some clients and friends and playing Bandon Dunes the first day and then following up with 18 @ Pacific Dunes the next morning and Bandon Trails that afternoon. The last day were playing Old McDonald in the morning and then closing with Pacific Dunes in the afternoon.

I'm excited about this opportunity to play these tracks as I've read a lot about this place the last couple years. I wanted to see if there was anyone out there that has had the opportunity to experience Bandon and what your thoughts were? Any advice, suggestions to enhance the experience? Should I have a caddie all 3 days or just use one for the first round on Bandon Dunes? Which course do you think a caddie would provide the most advantage? Restaurants, pubs .... any suggestions? Were staying at the Lilly Pond cabins. Golf all day and then back for dinner, poker and a few cigars! Good times!

"A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one - big hitter, the Lama - long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-lagunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice." - Karl Spackler

Edit: nice filter for Karl (w/a C) :wacko:

Edited by Moss6

Congrats. I know a caddy there and can play for free if there is a time available, but still have only played there once, and we could only get on the Trails course that day. :lol: Still pretty spectacular. I need to get back over while my friend is still there.

Have fun. If you want to make a trip eastward and play another heathland course http://www.crosswater.com/club/scripts/public/public.asp, let me know. It will cost you $85 with a member (that would be me), plus a free place to stay that offers a bedroom suite (includes your own bedroom, bath and personal living area with 50" widescreen TV, Blueray, surround sound, and playstation), one day of almost free breakfast and dinner (payment is in :wacko: ), free Wi-fi, and friendly staff. Oh, and a free local daily newspaper :tup:

For a caddy at Bandon, request Gerard Percy (it is pronounced Jerod, he's a Kiwi). Bar none the best caddy there, a true professional, and his New Zealand sense of humor will have you laughing and smiling throughout your round. He can really read the greens, and teach you how to play a links course. Some caddies there are just 19 year olds who can carry a bag, but Gerard is a scratch golfer. He saved me at least 10 strokes.

Tell him his fantasy football friend from Bend sent you. BTW, he is clueless about Amercian football, so don't even go there.

You're right, a caddy is a complete necessity for the Dunes course. The first round I played there, I found out the hard way. Not as much for the blind shots, but it's too easy to find yourself in jail in places that look perfectly safe. There are a couple really stupid holes and a couple AMAZING ones. I'd probably recommend a caddy there and Pacific Dunes, but it isn't nearly as neccessary at Bandon Trails. You could get away with just getting one at Bandon Dunes.

I really enjoyed Pacific Dunes. It hands-down has the best scenery, like, "Is this really happening?" It's that special. A handful of really memorable holes. Of all the courses I've played, if I had to choose one to play every day, it would probably be Pacific Dunes. I haven't played Riviera, but Dunes may have the best layout on the west coast. I haven't played Old McDonald yet, but I've heard it has a really fun layout as well. I'll probably never play Bandon Trails again. Once was more than enough. Way too pricy for the layout and scenery, and has too many dumb holes.

You're making the right choice playing Bandon Dunes first. The tee at one gives you the feeling you came for. The resort itself is nice, good service. Food is good but not great. We usually eat at the Gallery. I've found the Seafood to be better than the beef or pork. Try Tony's Crabshack for a more casual spot with great food at a bit better prices. My favorite spot in town. Have fun with it and don't put too much emphasis on the scorecard! I'm a jealous man. I usually go in the off-season, I bet the greens are awesome this time of year.

Enjoy! You're in for a great time.

Caddies are necessary on all of the courses except Trails. Trails is pretty straight forward. Caddies can really help playing the holes on the other courses. The greens can be daunting (especially Old Mac) but I've never been impressed with the caddies' abilities to read the greens all that great. If you're a halfway decent putter, the greens are quick but true and you should be able to read them. If I had to rate the courses where you need a caddie, it would be Old Mac, Pacific, Bandon Dunes, and don't bother at Trails. If you wanted to limit your caddies to Pacific and Old Mac, don't hit driver on #17 on Bandon Dunes. That's the most important advice they'll give you on that course. Old Mac has greens the size of football fields....seriously. The course layout is fun. There are some tricky tee shots, but you'll want some help on your approach shots to avoid 80 yd putts.

There is a common consensus that Trails is the red-headed stepchild of Bandon. Personally, I think it's a great course with the exception of #14 which should be stricken from the face of the earth. Yes, it is very different than the others and you're not playing along the ocean, but it has some character as well.

If you're driving down and decide you have some extra time, play Bandon Crossings just south of the town of Bandon or even Sand Pines in Florence on your way down. Both are good courses. Crossings is a Dan Hixson design. He puts together some good courses.

My hubby said it was mentioned on a guru-type website www.golfatlas.com that there were only two caddies recommend at Bandon, and one was Gerad. If you meet him, he took us to a great upscale Italian restauant in Bandon, but I can't remember the name, but it was very good. There are only a few nice restaurants in Bandon. Bandon is stilled a very depressed area. This is not Pebble Beach by any means, meaning this town is not upscale, it's almost a hole in the wall. Caddies and personel at Bandon are the high wage earners.

Edited by Sugar Magnolia

Enjoy! You're in for a great time.

Caddies are necessary on all of the courses except Trails. Trails is pretty straight forward. Caddies can really help playing the holes on the other courses. The greens can be daunting (especially Old Mac) but I've never been impressed with the caddies' abilities to read the greens all that great. If you're a halfway decent putter, the greens are quick but true and you should be able to read them. If I had to rate the courses where you need a caddie, it would be Old Mac, Pacific, Bandon Dunes, and don't bother at Trails. If you wanted to limit your caddies to Pacific and Old Mac, don't hit driver on #17 on Bandon Dunes. That's the most important advice they'll give you on that course. Old Mac has greens the size of football fields....seriously. The course layout is fun. There are some tricky tee shots, but you'll want some help on your approach shots to avoid 80 yd putts.

There is a common consensus that Trails is the red-headed stepchild of Bandon. Personally, I think it's a great course with the exception of #14 which should be stricken from the face of the earth. Yes, it is very different than the others and you're not playing along the ocean, but it has some character as well.

If you're driving down and decide you have some extra time, play Bandon Crossings just south of the town of Bandon or even Sand Pines in Florence on your way down. Both are good courses. Crossings is a Dan Hixson design. He puts together some good courses.

This, to a tee