[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

In Wisconsin News Today

Yukon Cornelius

I think you guys have taken this topic about as far as it can go for now without just rehashing old arguments. The jury is still out on this and won't be in until the results of the next recalls/elections are in. It will be interesting to come back to this thread after those elections take place.

I agree. I still stand by my assertions that:

1) The left is over-inflating the "outrage" to make it look like more Wisconsinites are pissed off than there really are by busing in thousands of out of state, professional protesters and increasing the drama-queen moments. Not to mention the millions of dollars of out of state money that will pour in to hype the drama.

2) Declaring pretty much anything a victory now since they've been getting it handed to them left and right (no pun intended) since last November.

3) Underestimating the "outrage" of the right - it works both ways. The right certainly came out for the SC race that the lefties thought they were going to win. Apparently they weren't as "outraged" as the right was. Just remember that just because we don't show up at the Capitol and destroy property and throw insults that we aren't there. Us conservatives try to be more civilized than that. We don't have to go the drama-queen route to make our voices heard. We'll let the votes do that.

4) If they are lucky, the Dems will MAYBE get one seat in the recall elections. If they do get one seat - mark my words - they will declare it a huge victory and "repudiation" of Walker and the Repubs. Yeah - even over just one seat.

5) Republicans will pick up more seats in the recall elections than the Dems OR it will be complete wash. Call me a glass-half-full type of guy.

6) The left will use the word "disenfranchised" so much in the next few months that it will lose all meaning and be completely removed from the English language.

7) Bushwhacked and/or Yukon Cornelius will reply to this with some smarmy comment hoping everyone will think they are all that AND a bag of chips.

Let's revisit this after the recalls like Joe said.

Edited by tosberg34

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. I still stand by my assertions that:

1) The left is over-inflating the "outrage" to make it look like more Wisconsinites are pissed off than there really are by busing in thousands of out of state, professional protesters and increasing the drama-queen moments. Not to mention the millions of dollars of out of state money that will pour in to hype the drama.

2) Declaring pretty much anything a victory now since they've been getting it handed to them left and right (no pun intended) since last November.

3) Underestimating the "outrage" of the right - it works both ways. The right certainly came out for the SC race that the lefties thought they were going to win. Apparently they weren't as "outraged" as the right was. Just remember that just because we don't show up at the Capitol and destroy property and throw insults that we aren't there. Us conservatives try to be more civilized than that. We don't have to go the drama-queen route to make our voices heard. We'll let the votes do that.

4) If they are lucky, the Dems will MAYBE get one seat in the recall elections. If they do get one seat - mark my words - they will declare it a huge victory and "repudiation" of Walker and the Repubs. Yeah - even over just one seat.

5) Republicans will pick up more seats in the recall elections than the Dems OR it will be complete wash. Call me a glass-half-full type of guy.

6) The left will use the word "disenfranchised" so much in the next few months that it will lose all meaning and be completely removed from the English language.

7) Bushwhacked and/or Yukon Cornelius will reply to this with some smarmy comment hoping everyone will think they are all that AND a bag of chips.

Let's revisit this after the recalls like Joe said.

saving

Wisconsin Republican Gov. Scott Walker's popularity has continued to decline over the last three months, and state voters now say they would vote to recall him if there was a new election, a new polls says.

Results of the Pubic Policy Polling survey, released Wednesday, also show voters would pick either former Sen. Russ Feingold or Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett, both Democrats, over Mr. Walker in a head-to-head match up.

The poll shows that 43 percent of state voters approve of the job Mr Walker is doing, while 54 disapprove. When PPP polled voters in late February Mr. Walker's approval/disapproval rating was 46/52.

Mr. Walker's numbers among Democrats and Republicans now are virtually identical to where they were in February, but with independents his popularity has declined from a 45/53 approval/disapproval to a current spread of 40/56.

"Most people love the job Walker is doing!" :wacko:

Edited by bushwacked

Teachers and govt workers have it oh so tough :wacko:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/fat-city_567621.html

yah that has a lot to do with public school teachers in Wisconsin. you should get some info from new york or cali... that is even more relevant.

yah that has a lot to do with public school teachers in Wisconsin. you should get some info from new york or cali... that is even more relevant.

Yep - none of that would resemble Wisconsin at all. Wisconsin is in a world all by itself for everything is done right - teachers here work harder than other places (and if you listen to them bitch they work at home sometimes - nobody else does this in the real world).

I am pretty sure that a lot of what this guy says is very true around the entire USA.

Nobody retires in Wisconsin getting 80 percent of pay for life - based on years with spiked salaries - no not in WI

Offering to teach as emeritus after retirement for a nice sum - no not in WI

Come on - wake up - the union teachers in Wisconsin have and currently do have it good. The teachers are upset because it affects them personally.

as expected. Now it can move on to the appellate and/or supreme court where it IS expected to be overturned. Enjoy it while you can because it's the only temporary win lefties have had since last November. And it was only a win because a lefty judge decided to put her bias above the law.

as expected. Now it can move on to the appellate and/or supreme court where it IS expected to be overturned. Enjoy it while you can because it's the only temporary win lefties have had since last November. And it was only a win because a lefty judge decided to put her bias above the law.

:wacko:

I looked the judge up and couldn't find where she was dining with Obama and Clinton. Only thing I found was that a Republican put her in that seat. :wacko:

What are you talking about? I saw all three of them at Taco Bell the other day.

Also, the fact that a Republican put her on the bench is irrelevant.

What are you talking about? I saw all three of them at Taco Bell the other day.

Also, the fact that a Republican put her on the bench is irrelevant.

I don't think so. Political spinners on cable talk about how important it is such-and-such gets his judges sworn in. It's especially a big deal with the Presidential elections.

• 1 month later...

budget bill in action

The Kaukauna School District, in the Fox River Valley of Wisconsin near Appleton, has about 4,200 students and about 400 employees. It has struggled in recent times and this year faced a deficit of $400,000. But after the law went into effect, at 12:01 a.m. Wednesday, school officials put in place new policies they estimate will turn that $400,000 deficit into a $1.5 million surplus. And it's all because of the very provisions that union leaders predicted would be disastrous.

In the past, teachers and other staff at Kaukauna were required to pay 10 percent of the cost of their health insurance coverage and none of their pension costs. Now, they'll pay 12.6 percent of the cost of their coverage (still well below rates in much of the private sector) and also contribute 5.8 percent of salary to their pensions. The changes will save the school board an estimated $1.2 million this year, according to board President Todd Arnoldussen.

Of course, Wisconsin unions had offered to make benefit concessions during the budget fight. Wouldn't Kaukauna's money problems have been solved if Walker had just accepted those concessions and not demanded cutbacks in collective bargaining powers?

"The monetary part of it is not the entire issue," says Arnoldussen, a political independent who won a spot on the board in a nonpartisan election. Indeed, some of the most important improvements in Kaukauna's outlook are because of the new limits on collective bargaining.

In the past, Kaukauna's agreement with the teachers union required the school district to purchase health insurance coverage from something called WEA Trust -- a company created by the Wisconsin teachers union. "It was in the collective bargaining agreement that we could only negotiate with them," says Arnoldussen. "Well, you know what happens when you can only negotiate with one vendor." This year, WEA Trust told Kaukauna that it would face a significant increase in premiums.

Now, the collective bargaining agreement is gone, and the school district is free to shop around for coverage. And all of a sudden, WEA Trust has changed its position. "With these changes, the schools could go out for bids, and lo and behold, WEA Trust said, 'We can match the lowest bid,'" says Republican state Rep. Jim Steineke, who represents the area and supports the Walker changes. At least for the moment, Kaukauna is staying with WEA Trust, but saving substantial amounts of money.

Then there are work rules. "In the collective bargaining agreement, high school teachers only had to teach five periods a day, out of seven," says Arnoldussen. "Now, they're going to teach six." In addition, the collective bargaining agreement specified that teachers had to be in the school 37 1/2 hours a week. Now, it will be 40 hours.

The changes mean Kaukauna can reduce the size of its classes -- from 31 students to 26 students in high school and from 26 students to 23 students in elementary school. In addition, there will be more teacher time for one-on-one sessions with troubled students. Those changes would not have been possible without the much-maligned changes in collective bargaining.

Teachers' salaries will stay "relatively the same," Arnoldussen says, except for higher pension and health care payments. (The top salary is around $80,000 per year, with about $35,000 in additional benefits, for 184 days of work per year -- summers off.) Finally, the money saved will be used to hire a few more teachers and institute merit pay.

ZMOG! smaller classes? higher pay for doing a good job? a budget surplus instead of a deficit? the horror!

So you get a pay cut, your benefits cost more, you get extended working hours and your sick days get cut in half? Within minutes of passing the bill?

Well at least none of them predictions about screwing the teachers came true.

:wacko: