[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bye Bye Tressel

Infinity

Over the past few months all the college football talking heads kept making it sound like it was some bad mojo circiling around Ohio State. I really thought they were just trumping it up to drag more out of an off season story. I never thought Tressel would get canned (I have to assume he was asked to resign). Crazy stuff.

Jim Tressel made a mistake and now he will spend a couple seasons away from football and either decide that's it or return to the game. I don't think college football or Ohio State got better today by seeing Jim Tressel resign. The Shoe will be packed, players will play, and life for Buckeye Nation will resume. It's never as bad as it seems and never as good either. I can only say that I will be in the stands as much as possible this fall and every fall for that matter.

We still have our big game with Wisconsin every year. I hope they don't take that away.

GO BUCKS.

I don't think college football or Ohio State got better today by seeing Jim Tressel resign. The Shoe will be packed, players will play, and life for Buckeye Nation will resume.

I have nothing against Tressel. But don't get a false sense of security that your program will hold it's same place regardless of who leads it. Michigan did pretty well against OSU before tressel got there. I've been a Nebraska fan for life and I know what its like when a historic program hires the wrong coach. I kind of hate that this happened because I wanted NU to go up against the best the B10 had to offer and see what happened. Hopefully Ohio State's AD is a better judge of coach than the AD we had at Nebraska during the dark Callahan years.

I have nothing against Tressel. But don't get a false sense of security that your program will hold it's same place regardless of who leads it. Michigan did pretty well against OSU before tressel got there. I've been a Nebraska fan for life and I know what its like when a historic program hires the wrong coach. I kind of hate that this happened because I wanted NU to go up against the best the B10 had to offer and see what happened. Hopefully Ohio State's AD is a better judge of coach than the AD we had at Nebraska during the dark Callahan years.

I lived the Cooper days ,so I understand that. I was a fan in those days too. The point is everything always looks worse than it really is. Fickell is going to run the same program for this season and OSU is not even going to look to hire anyone till late 2011 or beyond. You have to turn the page as a fan and move on. I don't see what good it does to be negative at this point and this could be a great opportunity going foward. Fickell has been under JT for a long time and OSU is already through spring ball. It's going to be a long process on hiring the right coach. I have confidence that a long search will bring the right coach for the program.

Edited by sacosud

I don't think college football or Ohio State got better today by seeing Jim Tressel resign.

I just want to clarify this statement. Are you saying that Tressel merely made a mistake by covering up major NCAA infractions by multiple players on his teams? You don't think that this is a good precedent that will help to illustrate to other coaches and players that there are heavy consequences to cheaters in the league? Do you think that they should have just turned a blind eye to the deceit, rule breaking and cheating perpetrated by Tressel and OSU?

Tressel, while a great coach, gave OSU a black eye. HE should have been the vanguard for that university, he should have set the example for other coaches and players by exposing these infractions thereby lending credence and honor to the game and his profession. Instead he did the easy thing, cover it up so that he and his players could enjoy a great deal of success. His pride trampled over his morals and for this he should be roundly criticized and the NCAA should still move forward with sanctions against both OSU and Tressel.

Further, I am pretty certain that there is a lot more scandal and cheating going on, much of it supported by Tressel and the boosters directly, than we have yet glimpsed. Tressel and OSU are as dirty as USC and or Auburn, if not more so.

nothing to do with OSU, but didnt tressel have skeletons at youngstown st. I vaguely remember hearing about that before.

Question is, where does Tressel go from here. Has to be a huge drop for him...

Further, I am pretty certain that there is a lot more scandal and cheating going on, much of it supported by Tressel and the boosters directly, than we have yet glimpsed. Tressel and OSU are as dirty as USC and or Auburn, if not more so.

This is why I think he's bailed - the iceberg is about to surface.

I just want to clarify this statement. Are you saying that Tressel merely made a mistake by covering up major NCAA infractions by multiple players on his teams? You don't think that this is a good precedent that will help to illustrate to other coaches and players that there are heavy consequences to cheaters in the league? Do you think that they should have just turned a blind eye to the deceit, rule breaking and cheating perpetrated by Tressel and OSU?

Tressel, while a great coach, gave OSU a black eye. HE should have been the vanguard for that university, he should have set the example for other coaches and players by exposing these infractions thereby lending credence and honor to the game and his profession. Instead he did the easy thing, cover it up so that he and his players could enjoy a great deal of success. His pride trampled over his morals and for this he should be roundly criticized and the NCAA should still move forward with sanctions against both OSU and Tressel.

I thought my statement was pretty clear. I did not know Auburn has been found to be guilty of anything. OSU will get it's sanctions and I'm okay with that. I know Tressel made a mistake by covering up guys getting tats and selling their rings/gold pants. I also know what good he has done for OSU and the community. I'm just saying we will be at the Shoe and ready to play under Fickell and then for whoever takes over from there.

I'll make the statment again, so it's clear. I don't think the University or College Football got better by losing Jim Tressel.

Edited by sacosud

Sac - please stop saying he made a mistake like he's a 12 year old kid who smoked his first cigarette. Dude is a 58 year-old coach at one of the highest profile universities who understands the rules inside and out. This wasn't some dumb mistake, he rolled the dice on not getting caught and lost.

Sac - please stop saying he made a mistake like he's a 12 year old kid who smoked his first cigarette. Dude is a 58 year-old coach at one of the highest profile universities who understands the rules inside and out. This wasn't some dumb mistake, he rolled the dice on not getting caught and lost.

I guess I didn't really take sac that way. I mean old people make mistakes too :wacko: and obviously this one is a pretty dumb one IMO (as he should have known the bigger crime is covering it up and I'd guess getting a discount for a tattoo is hard to prove or stop from happening).

Heck, I have made mistakes myself. I'm way over 12!!!

I thought my statement was pretty clear. I did not know Auburn has been found to be guilty of anything. OSU will get it's sanctions and I'm okay with that. I know Tressel made a mistake by covering up guys getting tats and selling their rings/gold pants. I also know what good he has done for OSU and the community. I'm just saying we will be at the Shoe and ready to play under Fickell and then for whoever takes over from there.

I'll make the statment again, so it's clear. I don't think the University or College Football got better by losing Jim Tressel.

It appears that there may be a bit more to this than selling rings, pants and other memorabilia.

Evidently, Tressel has a history of potential NCAA violations stretching back to the 80's.

And of course, you'll still support OSU, it wouldn't make any sense for you not to, the school is bigger than one man.

Evidently, Tressel has a history of potential NCAA violations stretching back to the 80's.

Yep, it not so much that they specifically got tattoos, it's that NCAA players aren't supposed to be rewarded for being student athletes. That's why there's only numbers no names in NCAA Football, and also why getting discounts on tattoos, cars, jewelry etc is a big deal whether its 50% or 2% discount.

If i were an OSU fan, I'd be more worried about the players themselves being suspended beyond the 5 games already stated. Pryor apparently was said to be in possession of 6 different cars while in school... :wacko: ...6.

Yep, it not so much that they specifically got tattoos, it's that NCAA players aren't supposed to be rewarded for being student athletes. That's why there's only numbers no names in NCAA Football, and also why getting discounts on tattoos, cars, jewelry etc is a big deal whether its 50% or 2% discount.

If i were an OSU fan, I'd be more worried about the players themselves being suspended beyond the 5 games already stated. Pryor apparently was said to be in possession of 6 different cars while in school... :wacko: ...6.

Pryor and the rest can pound salt. Move on. New coach, new players, new sanctions, and get past it. Braxton Miller its your team. Make your mistakes and learn your lessons. Be a stud in 2 years when the smoke clears. I hope.

I can't believe Pryor was dumb enough to show up to a player only meeting after the head coach of over a decade resigns driving a 2007 Nissan Z with temp license plates. I mean, really? Maybe you should try to just calm it down a bit and have a buddy drive you. You aren't making money from the cars, so really it's just a luxury. The dude acts like he could give a chit less. :wacko:

I can't believe Pryor was dumb enough to show up to a player only meeting after the head coach of over a decade resigns driving a 2007 Nissan Z with temp license plates. I mean, really? Maybe you should try to just calm it down a bit and have a buddy drive you. You aren't making money from the cars, so really it's just a luxury. The dude acts like he could give a chit less. :tup:

I'm sure he paid a fair price for the 350 Z. :wacko:

I can't believe Pryor was dumb enough to show up to a player only meeting after the head coach of over a decade resigns driving a 2007 Nissan Z with temp license plates. I mean, really? Maybe you should try to just calm it down a bit and have a buddy drive you. You aren't making money from the cars, so really it's just a luxury. The dude acts like he could give a chit less. :wacko:

What a f'in idiot. The dude doesn't even have a driver's license right now.

And as for Tressel... what a scumbag. He was dirty as an assistant at OSU, dirty as a head coach at Youngstown and obviously dirty as a head coach at OSU. Sure, I'm sure this kind of thing is rampant at other institutions, but it's obvious that he has a track record of being a scumbag. If anyone ever hires him, they're morans.