[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Specific Memorial Day thread...

Pope Flick

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F...h?v=QHm7fNDDY9Y

This guy's channel has a TV show that any historian should check out. It's called "The Great War" and was made by the BBC in the early 60s. It shows a view of world war one you've never seen. It's very much the precursor to "The World at War" (about WW2) which was made ten years later and most are familiar with, it was 26 parts and narrated by Sir Olivier.

But you've never seen The Great War. It's only been broadcast 2 or 3 times and then only in the commonwealth. It was put on DVD recently and only in the UK. It's stunning in it's scope and tragic in it's story. This truly is the forgotten war in this contry and the more I learn about it he more I realize that WW 2 is the footnote: world war one lasted 70 years.

It's a shame in this country that there isn't even a national memorial for the veterans of this conflict, all of whom are dead except for an austrailian merchant marine. Indeed, the mildly derelict WW1 memorial on the Mall in DC was funded by the district, not the fed govt.

http://www.wwimemorial.org/

I thank all vets today, but the vets of WW1 deserve a special thanks this year since they have now all passed and not enough has been done to recognize that IMO.

Edited by Pope Flick