[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Spanking your kid is a crime

jetsfan

I had a step dad who liked to instruct with a belt. Didn't teach me a damned thing and only made me wish the bastage would die an early, painful death.

Good times.

I would imagine the fear of disappointing someone who's shown they've got your back is the most powerful deterrent. Always worked for me. Pain dies out pretty quick, the lingering guilt of knowing that you let your folks down doesn't.

Then again, I don't have kids and don't much want them. So I'm not going to pass judgement on anyone who spanks their kid.

Edited by detlef

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, what a bunch of lazy unloving parents we have here at the Huddle. :wacko:

It is much easier for me to stop what I'm doing, get out of my chair, corral my child, smack her on the butt, tell her "No", then spend the next five minutes consoling and explaining why what she did was wrong than to just let her run around like an unbridled maniac.

I don't have any children, but if anyone doesn't have the heart to beat their own children...I am for hire to beat your children. I show no mercy.

Why don't you just go buy your niece a new car, already...

I've never spanked my children. Not once.

I dare you to find better behaved children.

You just use Jedi powers (psychology) on them?

I would imagine the fear of disappointing someone who's shown they've got your back is the most powerful deterrent.

I guess it depends on the age of the kid. A 2 year old might not understand the fear of disappointing someone. Although I recently started reading a book that claims the most effective way to discipline children is by giving and taking away your attention (it's more complicated than that but that is the underlying theme). I'm guessing even the people who spank (or at least swat) their kids probably stop at a certain age (they might get bigger than you :wacko:)

Then again, I don't have kids and don't much want them. So I'm not going to pass judgement on anyone who spanks their kid.

I'm pretty sure I've read a few threads with you passing judgment on all types of kid related issues. I even remember you saying you and your wife liked to read the help columns in the newspapers to laugh about how the stupid parents would coddle there children too much. I'll just say this. It's all pretty academic when it is not your children or you are not involved with them directly. Most people don't really know what they would do or how they would act until they are in the situation.

I had a step dad who liked to instruct with a belt. Didn't teach me a damned thing and only made me wish the bastage would die an early, painful death.

Good times.

I would imagine the fear of disappointing someone who's shown they've got your back is the most powerful deterrent. Always worked for me. Pain dies out pretty quick, the lingering guilt of knowing that you let your folks down doesn't.

The problem with disappointing someone is you have to respect them in order to care enough to disappoint them. You quickly lose that respect by pulling out the belt. At least in my case, you do. My Dad would whip out that belt in a second and I stopped giving a crap about him and certainly didn't care if I disappointed him. He was (and still is) horrible at dealing with conflict. It did teach me how not to deal with it. I've always been very calm when issues arise and look at them logically and calmly deal with them head-on and figure out a solution instead of flying off the handle.

:wacko:

this country has become a Ginsuing joke

The joke here seems to be your topic title: the kid had welts that lasted for hours and the mother in question has already had two other children taken from her by child services. That is most likely NOT a fit parent but you must not have read the article to find protecting a child frOm a nutjob/abusive parent a joke.

I guess when it comes to physical violence against children, things can escalate from a gentle spank to more harsh punishments...and the state is erring on the side of caution.

For instance, this was in the paper this AM:

Montco mom gets probation after lashing son with extension cord

Published: Wednesday, June 22, 2011; Last Updated: Wed. Jun 22, 2011, 7:30am

By I'M A TOOL Hessler Jr., chessler@pottsmerc.com

NORRISTOWN — A Lower Merion woman who disciplined her 10-year-old son with 12 lashes from an extension cord after he stole $2 from her has avoided jail but will be under court supervision for five years.

Sharomine Akilah Martin, 33, of West Spring Avenue, was sentenced in Montgomery County Court on Tuesday to five years’ probation on charges of aggravated and simple assault and recklessly endangering another person in connection with the April 1, 2010, incident.

Judge Joseph A. Smyth, who convicted Martin of the charges during a nonjury trial in February, turned down a prosecutor’s request for state prison time against Martin, explaining he believes Martin is truly remorseful for her conduct and did not act out of meanness but out of “misguided” love and concern for her child.

The judge described Martin as “a perfectionist” who was raised to believe corporal punishment was an acceptable disciplinary tool. Prior to imposing the sentence, the judge turned down a request from Martin’s lawyer to throw out the aggravated assault conviction.

“I do believe these injuries, unfortunately, do rise to aggravated assault,” said Smyth, indicating the felony conviction against Martin will remain intact.

Martin, described by friends and relatives in court as a well-educated, loving woman who has two master’s degrees, apologized for her conduct. Testimony revealed Martin has already completed parenting classes. “I made a huge mistake. When he stole the money it scared me. I overreacted,” Martin, the daughter of a Baptist minister, told the judge. “I really did try to do my very best by him. There is nobody here who loves my son more than I do.”

Testimony revealed Martin currently does not have custody of her son, now 11, and a custody battle is ongoing in family court with the child’s father, with whom the child now resides.

Assistant District Attorney Cara McMenamin argued for a state prison sentence against Martin, alleging Martin “whipped” the victim 12 times with the extension cord across the head, arm and back and did not seek medical help for the boy, who suffered numerous lacerations. The scars on this child were so egregious. It’s unconscionable that a mother would treat her child that way,” McMenamin argued. “He will never get over what his mother did to him. He will live with the scars for the rest of his life.”

However, defense lawyer Gregory Nester argued for probation for Martin, indicating Martin had no prior criminal record and was a “hardworking” single mom who tried to do her best for her son. Nester claimed Martin’s “unfortunate” conduct was out of the ordinary for the “loving” mother.

“She’s spent a lifetime loving her son, working for her son and caring for her son. This was a terrible mistake that she made…a terrible overreaction, but it does not diminish in any way her love for her son or her son’s love for her,” Nester said. “By all other accounts she’s been a great mother except for this one instance.” Nester claimed Martin has been punished substantially already because she has been allowed only limited contact, under various court orders, with the son she loves.

“For any parent who loves their child, separation from that child is enormous punishment,” Nester argued.

Prosecutors alleged Martin, after assaulting her son, ordered him from the home and not to return until he could repay the $2, which the boy claimed he had given to another juvenile to avoid being bullied. Martin, authorities alleged, then attended a roller derby event.

Police found the child wandering near the Ardmore Community Center at about 8 p.m. with indications of having been assaulted, specifically, “bleeding through shirt,” according to the arrest affidavit filed by Lower Merion Detective George Ohrin.

The child was treated at Bryn Mawr Hospital for lacerations to his arms, lower back, shoulders and left ear, court documents indicate. Prosecutors alleged in court papers that because Martin failed to provide her son with medical care, the wounds on his back were exposed to air for more than six hours and as a result the treating doctors were unable to stitch the wounds, because doing so would risk trapping bacteria. Instead, the wounds were salved and left open, prosecutors said.

Detectives alleged that the medical examination “indicated evidence of previous physical assault consisting of bruises…to various parts of the victim’s body,” according to the criminal complaint.

I think there are other things to be concerned about if its still red and bruised an hour later after spanking your monkey.

Whomp forgot to take off the piano wire?

Edited by Square

Wait... You think spanking is bad? And by the comment you stated, my parenting is "lazy" because I spank my son if/when the situation warrants it?

Hitting a child is wrong. Period. If you can't find a better way that's on you.

Edited by yo mama

Hitting a child is wrong. Period. If you can't find a better that's on you.

My parents spanked me. II will spank my children. Its called discipline. Now Im not talking beating, or slapping, Im talking spanking on the rear. To each their own in regards to opinions on the subject, and I dont mean any disrespect by asking this, but who the hell are you (or anyone else) to judge anyone for spanking a child? If thats how they discipline their children, so be it. Hitting a child is wrong. Spanking is not. 2 different things there. The reasons for spanking could be argued, and even how hard you are spanking them. But the act of spanking them shouldnt be questioned.

I consider myself a damn good father. Spanking my kids does not change that fact. It also doesnt mean that I cant "find a better way" to discipline my kids. Its the way I was brought up, and its the way I choose to handle my kids.

File this topic under "discussions you should never have on the internet or anywhere else". Proponents of spanking or not spanking can come up with enough evidence to support their belief, but not enough to convince the other side. There is no right or wrong answer. Different things work for different people, that includes adults and children.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

File this topic under "discussions you should never have on the internet or anywhere else". Proponents of spanking or not spanking can come up with enough evidence to support their belief, but not enough to convince the other side. There is no right or wrong answer. Different things work for different people, that includes adults and children.

Spot on.

Please don't shun me! :wacko:

For the record, I have never had to spank my son. There, does that make you feel better? But I would not want you hippies taking away my right to do so if I felt it was necessary. And I maintain that it could be warranted even though I've never done it myself, and my son is pretty much beyond spanking age now.

Lighten up, Francis. It was just a pun involving your name. Even DMD got the joke, and he's a Texan.

You just use Jedi powers (psychology) on them?

I guess it depends on the age of the kid. A 2 year old might not understand the fear of disappointing someone. Although I recently started reading a book that claims the most effective way to discipline children is by giving and taking away your attention (it's more complicated than that but that is the underlying theme). I'm guessing even the people who spank (or at least swat) their kids probably stop at a certain age (they might get bigger than you :wacko:)

I'm pretty sure I've read a few threads with you passing judgment on all types of kid related issues. I even remember you saying you and your wife liked to read the help columns in the newspapers to laugh about how the stupid parents would coddle there children too much. I'll just say this. It's all pretty academic when it is not your children or you are not involved with them directly. Most people don't really know what they would do or how they would act until they are in the situation.

1) I'm talking about spanking, not getting your kid's attention with a little smack. When I was a kid, "spanking" was a bit more drawn out than my mom or dad reaching out and back-handing my ass.

2) So, because I've passed judgment on things in the past (and will likely again), I can't excuse myself from doing so when I truly feel like I'm not qualified? Good to know.

Further, I have to deal with people's kids, so I am entitled to opinion about what pisses me off. You and your kids don't live in a freaking bubble. The rest of us have to tolerate any shortcomings of your parenting right along with you. So, that does allow us to opine on what you're doing that is wrong.

None the less, in this case, I would be inclined to side with those who are not for spanking. At least spanking as I understand it. However, I will stop short of saying you shouldn't do it because, again, I haven't been in that position.

Well, that and I've probably wanted to smack someone's kid more than once.