[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Buying Furniture

ebartender

We have decided to purchase a new living room set (well my son made the decision by ruining our current couch). We haven't purchased furniture in a while and wanted to know if anyone had any tips. Do you normally pay sticker price for furniture?

My wife likes the box stores so you pay sticker there. She can occasionally get an end table or lamp thrown in, no price cut. If you knew anything about furniture there's an area of town you could go haggle. I'd be concerned they start the bidding at quadruple the value and I get them to take $150.00 off. :wacko:

We've got kids too, avopid the nice stuff.

NEVER pay sticker price. A friend of mine used to run a regional retail furniture company. He said that they normally have a 300% markup from the manufacturer.I didn't believe him so I went into a furniture store and offered them 70% only if the included delivery. The guy didn't blink and asked me when and where I needed it.

NEVER pay sticker price. A friend of mine used to run a regional retail furniture company. He said that they normally have a 300% markup from the manufacturer.I didn't believe him so I went into a furniture store and offered them 70% only if the included delivery. The guy didn't blink and asked me when and where I needed it.

This. I was stunned last time we bought a living room set how much room there was in price. The sticker was $x, sale price was $x/2, and we paid about half of that. Make em work.

Definitely scope out the warehouse outlets. There are places that take overstock/discontinued items from different retailers, and some retailers run their own. I'm aware of a few cities that have a bunch of them in one area, and it's definitely worth even driving a couple hours if you're making a big purchase. One in particular I've heard people recommend -- The Dump, and they do negotiate prices.

Check out furniture dealers in North Carolina.

They ship.

We live in NC and when we decided to go out and buy new furniture we spent an entire day just locating a store that we wanted to go in. NC should be renamed as the Furniture Capital of the World. Anyways, yes, you can wheel and deal with them. The wife and I ended up buying from two different stores to furnish our living room, formal dining room and my office. We bought very good quality pieces whereas in the past we didn't (because we were young and poor). The executive desk I am sitting at right now is wonderfully made and it's stick price was $1499. Keep that in mind and see below:

1x leather couch

1x matching leather chair

2x end tables

1x coffee table

6x seat formal dining table that expands to 12 seats

1x hutch for china with built in wine rack

6x chairs

1x executive desk

3x book case storage for executive desk

total price = $5500 or $5900 (can't really remember which

It's just like buying a car.

Make sure you look on-line. At least to get a price reference.

Also, a few years ago, my wife and I basically changed out almost everything in our living room, front room (whatever the hell the use of that room is) and dining room. We were on a danish modern kick so we were looking for used period pieces, and bought nearly everything from e-bay. Both from private sellers as well as guys with e-bay stores.

It was surprisingly painless and effective. In fact, the few pieces we ended up with that didn't work for us, we were able to flip at a slight profit to local antique dealers.

It was actually sort of fun. Needless to say, shipping is not cheap, so you need to make sure you bid accordingly.

But I basically don't buy anything like that without at least looking at e-bay now.

ETA: We've also taken advantage of living in NC and bought from local places as well. Even were able to use someone's pass and go to the big furniture show in High Point one year. Found some pretty cool stuff there as well.

Edited by detlef

We live in NC and when we decided to go out and buy new furniture we spent an entire day just locating a store that we wanted to go in. NC should be renamed as the Furniture Capital of the World. Anyways, yes, you can wheel and deal with them. The wife and I ended up buying from two different stores to furnish our living room, formal dining room and my office. We bought very good quality pieces whereas in the past we didn't (because we were young and poor). The executive desk I am sitting at right now is wonderfully made and it's stick price was $1499. Keep that in mind and see below:

1x leather couch

1x matching leather chair

2x end tables

1x coffee table

6x seat formal dining table that expands to 12 seats

1x hutch for china with built in wine rack

6x chairs

1x executive desk

3x book case storage for executive desk

total price = $5500 or $5900 (can't really remember which

It's just like buying a car.

So crazy, we are at Furnitureland in High Point right now and picked out a similar group:

power leather reclining sofa and chair

nice dining room table, 6 chairs and china cabinet

bedroom set (bed, dresser and end tables only)

settee and ottoman (when you're shopping for settees with your wife, you might as well just go home and put on an apron)

been here 3 hours, tired and punchy, the guy is running the numbers now, total sticker price is like 9 grand, let's see what I can get him down to.......

So crazy, we are at Furnitureland in High Point right now and picked out a similar group:

power leather reclining sofa and chair

nice dining room table, 6 chairs and china cabinet

bedroom set (bed, dresser and end tables only)

settee and ottoman (when you're shopping for settees with your wife, you might as well just go home and put on an apron)

been here 3 hours, tired and punchy, the guy is running the numbers now, total sticker price is like 9 grand, let's see what I can get him down to.......

I hope you're not putting that on credit...you know....until you close on your house... :wacko::tup:

Forgot to mention coffee table, end tables and lamps and the total was $9200 before I started haggling. They would only come down $1000 but we got free shipping. The manager kept stressing the fact that MSRP is about 40% more than what we're paying, so their "sticker" prices are already deeply discounted. I'd say we got an insanely good deal considering the quality. This stuff blows away the Ashley and Value City Furniture crap we bought in the past. And free shipping to Atlanta is a sweet deal too.

We will definitely come back here for the weekend next time we need furniture. Furnitureland itself is a million square feet and it's just one of many outlets in High Point.