[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Golf Trip ......

theprofessor

Had an amazing golf experience these last 2 weeks that I thought I'd share:

Bandon Dunes -

Arrived at the North Bend, OR Airport late morning of July 8th. Picked up by the Bandon Resort limo-shuttle service. As we left the airport, the movie Caddyshack started playing on the TV to set the tone for the days ahead. Great touch. There were 11 of us (clients, friends) traveling from all parts of the country (Salt Lake, Seattle, San Diego, Boston and Dallas). I stayed @ The Lodge and found the room to be perfect for my stay. Weather was beautiful .... sunny and in the mid 70's. We were to play 18 on Friday, 36 on Saturday and 36 again on Sunday. Because of my business schedule and travel I had only played 4 rounds all year so I was a bit concerned about packing in 90 holes in 2.5 days. As we started our round the wind was relatively calm but as we got to the 7th hole the wind was blowing at 35+. While I had played in wind before I hadn't experienced this type of wind on a golf course. This was 4+ club wind and directed left to right on most holes. if you got the ball too high in the air the wind would push the ball into the gorst plants bordering most of the fairways which gave you an unplayable lie, if in fact, you could even find your ball. Needless to say, I had a very frustrating golf experience my first round @ Bandon Dunes. I ended up shooting a 94 with 6-7 unplayable lies and a few lost balls. Not a great start to my golf weekend. The course was as beautiful as advertised and the views of the Pacific Ocean were breathtaking. True Scottish link style course. The rest of the evening was spent at McKee's Irish Pub where we all gathered for dinner and cocktails.

The next day we were to play Bandon Trails in the morning and Pacific Dunes in the afternoon. Woke to another gorgeous day with not a cloud in the sky. And virtually no wind!! We got to the first tee and the trails course appeared to have more of a look of some of the courses I play in the Pacific Northwest. A mixture of Chambers Bay, McCormick Woods and Gold Mountain. As my group got to the 2nd tee box our first group was still on the tee-box waiting for the group ahead of them. The 2nd hole was a par 3 playing about 170 yards from an elevated tee box. One of my clients stepped to the tee-box and hit a great shot, pin high about 10 feet from the cup. As we watched his ball started rolling to the right, directly at the cup and didn't stop until it fell in the hole for an ace! I have played golf for almost 35 years and not only have I never had an ace I had never witnesses one in my group. After repeated shoulder bumps and high fives the next guy stepped to the tee-box and hit almost the identical shot the ball started rolling towards the cup and we thought we were going to witness the unimaginable but his ball stopped about 6 inches from the cup. What a great start to what was to be a great day of golf! I really enjoyed Bandon Trails and played relatively well. I had 2 blow up holes where I took triple bogeys but still shot an 83 which I was happy about. We then shuttled over to Pacific Dunes which I had heard from many as being their "favorite of the 4 courses. The wind started to pick up as it normally does in the afternoon so I was anxious to see if I was going to learn from my opening day experience @ B-Dunes and follow the caddy's advice and swing easier into the wind. I found Pacific Dunes to play a little tougher than Bandon although they had a very similar feel. The wind blew at about 20 mph - a 2-3 club wind but I handled it much better this time around playing the ball back in my stance and swung the club easier with an abbreviated follow through. I shot an 84 with my typical 2 blow up holes.

Had an amazing golf experience these last 2 weeks that I thought I'd share:

Bandon Dunes -

Arrived at the North Bend, OR Airport late morning of July 8th. Picked up by the Bandon Resort limo-shuttle service. As we left the airport, the movie Caddyshack started playing on the TV to set the tone for the days ahead. Great touch. There were 11 of us (clients, friends) traveling from all parts of the country (Salt Lake, Seattle, San Diego, Boston and Dallas). I stayed @ The Lodge and found the room to be perfect for my stay. Weather was beautiful .... sunny and in the mid 70's. We were to play 18 on Friday, 36 on Saturday and 36 again on Sunday. Because of my business schedule and travel I had only played 4 rounds all year so I was a bit concerned about packing in 90 holes in 2.5 days. As we started our round the wind was relatively calm but as we got to the 7th hole the wind was blowing at 35+. While I had played in wind before I hadn't experienced this type of wind on a golf course. This was 4+ club wind and directed left to right on most holes. if you got the ball too high in the air the wind would push the ball into the gorst plants bordering most of the fairways which gave you an unplayable lie, if in fact, you could even find your ball. Needless to say, I had a very frustrating golf experience my first round @ Bandon Dunes. I ended up shooting a 94 with 6-7 unplayable lies and a few lost balls. Not a great start to my golf weekend. The course was as beautiful as advertised and the views of the Pacific Ocean were breathtaking. True Scottish link style course. The rest of the evening was spent at McKee's Irish Pub where we all gathered for dinner and cocktails.

The next day we were to play Bandon Trails in the morning and Pacific Dunes in the afternoon. Woke to another gorgeous day with not a cloud in the sky. And virtually no wind!! We got to the first tee and the trails course appeared to have more of a look of some of the courses I play in the Pacific Northwest. A mixture of Chambers Bay, McCormick Woods and Gold Mountain. As my group got to the 2nd tee box our first group was still on the tee-box waiting for the group ahead of them. The 2nd hole was a par 3 playing about 170 yards from an elevated tee box. One of my clients stepped to the tee-box and hit a great shot, pin high about 10 feet from the cup. As we watched his ball started rolling to the right, directly at the cup and didn't stop until it fell in the hole for an ace! I have played golf for almost 35 years and not only have I never had an ace I had never witnesses one in my group. After repeated shoulder bumps and high fives the next guy stepped to the tee-box and hit almost the identical shot the ball started rolling towards the cup and we thought we were going to witness the unimaginable but his ball stopped about 6 inches from the cup. What a great start to what was to be a great day of golf! I really enjoyed Bandon Trails and played relatively well. I had 2 blow up holes where I took triple bogeys but still shot an 83 which I was happy about. We then shuttled over to Pacific Dunes which I had heard from many as being their "favorite of the 4 courses. The wind started to pick up as it normally does in the afternoon so I was anxious to see if I was going to learn from my opening day experience @ B-Dunes and follow the caddy's advice and swing easier into the wind. I found Pacific Dunes to play a little tougher than Bandon although they had a very similar feel. The wind blew at about 20 mph - a 2-3 club wind but I handled it much better this time around playing the ball back in my stance and swung the club easier with an abbreviated follow through. I shot an 84 with my typical 2 blow up holes.

Looking forward to the rest of the story!

We really need to have a NW Huddle Golf outing.

Looking forward to the rest of the story!

We really need to have a NW Huddle Golf outing.

I agree. I had finished most of my story and had it minimized to finish it this evening only to find out when I returned home tonight that my wife had restarted the computer and my story went with it :wacko: I'll re-post my story sometime later this week. Tease :tup: