[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

12 Team Playoff Alignment

theprofessor

We are moving from a 2 division 10 team league to a 3 division 12 team league. We normally have 8 teams make the playoffs to keep all parties interested and start the playoffs during week 14 and end with our super bowl week 16. I would like to have 10 teams make the playoffs (top 3 teams in each division plus a wild card team, from the 3 that are left, that scores the most total points during the regular season. What are your thoughts on this?

I would like to hear what others do to see if there would be a better fit. Important to note is that our league is a combination Total Points League and Head to Head league. The Total Points Leaders payout is 80% of the purse compared to 20% for head to head champion. Thanks for your help.

I'm not seeing how you get from 10 teams to 1 champion in 3 weeks. Do you only do total points in the playoffs? I think 10 teams is way too many for playoffs as it places almost no value on the regular season. Why not keep it at 8 teams for the playoffs and have a toilet bowl playoff for the remaining 4 teams? This would still keep everyone interested throughout the entire season.

We put $ on each win many years ago which keeps everyone interested even if they are out of the playoff race. I like this better than expanding our playoffs.

To each is own but when I first read this, I thought you might be fishing. I understand wanting to keep owners active and quite honestly, there are other ways to do that than basically have 3/4 or more of the teams in the league make the playoffs. That's crazy! Might as well forgo the entire regular season and just let all teams partake in the playoffs if you're going to allow 10 out of 12 teams in anyway.

I would allow 4 teams (the most I'd allow would be 6) out of the 12 in the playoffs which would start in week 15. 1 plays 4 and 2 plays 3, then the winners play for 1st and 2nd while the losers play for 3rd. If you want to keep things interesting for everyone else give a payout to the team that scores the most points during the regular season and make a toilet bowl bracket for those not in the playoffs to play for a consolation prize. Hell, you could even make all non-playoff teams (8 teams) submit their lineup in week 15, the top 4 scoring teams advance to week 16 and the top scoring team from those 4 gets the consolation prize (if it's a low entry fee league, maybe they get their entry fee back).

+1 on the above. I've had 8 teams make the playoffs in 12 man league, and even that is too many (though interestingly, the 8th seed did win 2 years in a row)... Even 6 teams is still alot with 1/2 the league making the playoffs, but is more reasonable...

My local is now set up the same way with 12 teams/3 divisions, and we award 6 playoff spots: 3 division winners, 1 highest points scorer (of remaining), 2 wildcards. The 2 top division winners (by wins/points) get a 1st round bye.

We wanted to also reward the person who averages the most points weekly, because they had gotten shafted in the past despite having a consistently strong team. We've only been doing it this way for a year now, but it worked out well last year...

Edited by delusions of granduer

You should consider double headers each week in the regular season. This really seems to work keeping everyone more active. And the most I would go is 8 teams making the playoffs. So this is how Id do it. You play every team twice, and your division mate 4 times.

Id go 2 conferences, and 4 divisions. with 2 wildcards from each conference in a bracket.

Division 1 and 2 in Conference 1

Division 3 and 4 in conference 2

Playoffs are each division winner and the 2 wildcards are the next best 2 records, total points being tiebreaker.

Week 14 - Each division winner plays a wildcard from their conference. #1 seed plays lowest wildcard in conference, #2 seed plays other wildcard team

Week 15 - Conference Champ Game

Week 16 - Super Bowl

Edited by Brent

You should consider double headers each week in the regular season. This really seems to work keeping everyone more active. And the most I would go is 8 teams making the playoffs. So this is how Id do it. You play every team twice, and your division mate 3 times.

Id go 2 conferences, and 4 divisions. with 2 wildcards from each conference in a bracket.

Division 1 and 2 in Conference 1

Division 3 and 4 in conference 2

Playoffs are each division winner and the 2 wildcards are the next best 2 records, total points being tiebreaker.

Week 13 - Each division winner plays a wildcard from their conference. #1 seed plays lowest wildcard in conference, #2 seed plays other wildcard team

Week 14 - Winners play the next week, highest seed remaining plays lowest seed remaining in the conference

Week 15 - Conf Champ game the next week

Super Bowl in week 16

Thanks! I like it.

To each is own but when I first read this, I thought you might be fishing. I understand wanting to keep owners active and quite honestly, there are other ways to do that than basically have 3/4 or more of the teams in the league make the playoffs. That's crazy! Might as well forgo the entire regular season and just let all teams partake in the playoffs if you're going to allow 10 out of 12 teams in anyway.

Not fishing. Perhaps you missed my point about Total Points getting 80% of the payout (1st = $1,200.00, 2nd = $700.00, 3rd = $400.00, etc. plus we pay out the weekly high scorer the amount of money brought in through free agency (real dollars) which is typically $75.00 - $80.00 every week) The H2H is not the real focus in our league as I have always hated H2H leagues as the rest of our owners have. But, we give a small payout to the H2H champion ($250.00)

Not fishing. Perhaps you missed my point about Total Points getting 80% of the payout (1st = $1,200.00, 2nd = $700.00, 3rd = $400.00, etc. plus we pay out the weekly high scorer the amount of money brought in through free agency (real dollars) which is typically $75.00 - $80.00 every week) The H2H is not the real focus in our league as I have always hated H2H leagues as the rest of our owners have. But, we give a small payout to the H2H champion ($250.00)

This alone should keep teams interested. Knowing I could get 75-80 just for winning a week, is motivation enough to set my lineup and make a move or two.

My league has 12 team, 3 divisions. I keep the teams in the same divisions year in, year out.

I allow 8 teams into the playoffs, to keep the managers interested longer. The remaining teams make it to a toilet bowl for $25.

The division winners get rewarded with $ for coming in first. I thought about giving the top 2 seeds byes, but I thought $ would be better.

I absolutely hate leagues that only have 4 teams in the finals. Yes, they have to 'earn' it to make it to the playoffs. However, teams give up way too early if they don't figure to have a shot.

I got burned a few years back in a 4 team playoff by being the top point team and not making the playoffs.

We are moving from a 2 division 10 team league to a 3 division 12 team league. We normally have 8 teams make the playoffs to keep all parties interested and start the playoffs during week 14 and end with our super bowl week 16. I would like to have 10 teams make the playoffs (top 3 teams in each division plus a wild card team, from the 3 that are left, that scores the most total points during the regular season. What are your thoughts on this?

I would like to hear what others do to see if there would be a better fit. Important to note is that our league is a combination Total Points League and Head to Head league. The Total Points Leaders payout is 80% of the purse compared to 20% for head to head champion. Thanks for your help.

Ok - I will avoid making snarky comments like asking if this is the NHL or some such...

But YES - owner interest late in the season is key. We don't do this in any Both Leagues I'm in, but my local has a hefty payout every week for the high score. Our entry fee is $320, but we give 100 bucks out 14 times a year, which still leaves a healthy % for the playoff teams. We have 12 in this league and do 3 division winners and a wild card. But even if you're 3-8 gooing into week 12 you are still playing for close to a third of your entry fee each week and that helps maintain interest very well.