[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trying to find a childhood book

satelliteoflovegm

I recall having and loving a short book about a boy who interacts with a giant in the woods. One of them ends up challenging the other to a task or set of tasks. The boy says he can move a big hill of dirt. The giant tries and can't, then the boy (spoiler alert) moves the hill one shovel of dirt at a time.

Don't recall if he then gets to go free or what the point was but I have a very distinct vision of some of the illustrations in the book and would love to see it again and read it to my son.

I'm guessing I would have been 7 or 8 so around '77 or so. Does it sound familiar to anyone?

Google and Bing have once again let me down.

Don;t know - here is the synopsis of that book from another site:

The neighborhood children think a truckload of dirt dumped in an empty city lot makes a wonderful playground and when two women advise the mayor to clear it away one youngster tells him how much fun the dirt pile is

Maybe?

Mighty giants meet a down-to-earth boy in the 1972 Christopher Award-winning The Book of Giant Stories by David L. Harrison, illus. by Philippe Fix. In each of the three tales, the villains end up overshadowed by good sense and practical wisdom. Fix creates a forbidding landscape of craggy trees, fern-filled forests and darkened lairs.

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Giant-Stories-D...n/dp/1563979764

I found it I found it....thanks for the help your ideas helped lead me down other paths to find it. I am truly filled with emotions after seeing the pictures of the book. I have to buy it used but I'm genuinely nervous that somehow it would be my childhood copy.

I might just have to cash out if that somehow happened.

Oh man my week is made. So happy....

I found it I found it....thanks for the help your ideas helped lead me down other paths to find it. I am truly filled with emotions after seeing the pictures of the book. I have to buy it used but I'm genuinely nervous that somehow it would be my childhood copy.

So tell us what it was called. :wacko:

Glad to have helped!