[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Open Carry

Chavez

I was under the impression that it was not against the law to carry a gun OPENLY in any of the 50 states.

Someone just informed me that in TEXAS, of all places, open carry is only legal during hunting season. Anyplace else?

I was under the impression that it was not against the law to carry a gun OPENLY in any of the 50 states.

Someone just informed me that in TEXAS, of all places, open carry is only legal during hunting season. Anyplace else?

Open carry? Like in plain sight? Particularly inside city limits, not a chance... You're lucky if you can get a concealed carry permit (which you have to apply for, and they only give out a certain amount, in GA anyway)...

As for places like South Georgia (where I lived for a while) or rural Texas, then it's more of an unspoken thing that people carry guns, and in that case, I'm sure the police are MUCH happier that you have it out in plain sight than concealing it without telling them.

Open carry? Like in plain sight? Particularly inside city limits, not a chance... You're lucky if you can get a concealed carry permit (which you have to apply for, and they only give out a certain amount, in GA anyway)...

As for places like South Georgia (where I lived for a while) or rural Texas, then it's more of an unspoken thing that people carry guns, and in that case, I'm sure the police are MUCH happier that you have it out in plain sight than concealing it without telling them.

According to that Wiki article, all but six states (and D.C.) allow open carry, some with a permit, some without.

Now, whether or not cities can overrule that is another thing.

it is my understanding that in TX, one is not prohibited from carrying a shotgun or rifle whether concealed or unconcealed, handguns a different matter...I would think one can openly carry a handgun while hunting or going to the range, but I could be wrong, I am not an expert in those matters just a texas girl explaining what I've seen.

Here's an image of what I typically saw growing up including what my brother & dad sported, not for show, just to protect the cattle herds from coyotes/wild hogs or crops from wild hogs, (or themselves from rattlesnakes) dont see this much anymore in rural TX for obvious reasons, instead dad, brother and others stash them behind the seat in their pickup trucks:

http://www.ski-epic.com/2007_mini_ski_epic...up_gun_rack.jpg

(yeah it says utah, but still accurate for TX back in the day)

also new laws enacted today for the state of TX just food for thought:

http://www.ksat.com/news/29049360/detail.html

also new laws enacted today for the state of TX just food for thought:

http://www.ksat.com/news/29049360/detail.html

A person may carry a handgun, knife, or club in a watercraft under the person’s ownership or control. The handgun, knife, or club may not be in plain view
....so Texas actually MANDATES weapon concealment when you're in a boat. :wacko:

Its legal to do it in Michigan, but it ain't worth the hassle. A concerned citizen who espies the gun will call the cops. The cops, agitated by approaching a man with a gun, will confront you.

I don't want to be confronted by agitated cops.

Its legal to do it in Michigan, but it ain't worth the hassle. A concerned citizen who espies the gun will call the cops. The cops, agitated by approaching a man with a gun, will confront you.

I don't want to be confronted by agitated cops.

They are there to serve and protect.

And shoot dogs - cops seem to like shooting dogs.

We now have open carry in GA, so long as you have a permit.

To openly carry is pretty stupid in my estimation, it may actually turn you into a target.

we need open carry alcohol... why can't I drink a beer walking down the street?

They don't want you to spill beer into your gun? :wacko:

There are a boat loads of hunters around here, but nobody carries anything in plain site because it is illegal in any city that is worth a darn.

after the black panthers many cities have ordinances that don't stop you from open carry but make it darn hard to get anywhere .just try to walk down the street with a rifle and see what happens.

Yes, most gun control laws are racist in their origins. They originated with the Jim Crow era, when whites didn't want blacks to be able to arm themselves.

DoG - GA is a "shall-issue" state for concealed carry permits. If you aren't a felon, crazy or don't have a domestic violence conviction, they can't keep a permit from you if you're over 21. I think some 43 states have some sort of "shall-issue" permitting system (the number might not be exact, but 43 is real close). IMO, open carry in this day and age isn't real smart for the reasons listed above - it makes you a target and cops will hassle you if they don't know you. :wacko:

Yes, most gun control laws are racist in their origins. They originated with the Jim Crow era, when whites didn't want blacks to be able to arm themselves.

DoG - GA is a "shall-issue" state for concealed carry permits. If you aren't a felon, crazy or don't have a domestic violence conviction, they can't keep a permit from you if you're over 21. I think some 43 states have some sort of "shall-issue" permitting system (the number might not be exact, but 43 is real close). IMO, open carry in this day and age isn't real smart for the reasons listed above - it makes you a target and cops will hassle you if they don't know you. :wacko:

Its kinda funny. I can strap a pistol on my thigh and walk around with it in plain sight, legally.

However, if I have it concealed, carrying it legally, if I happen to allow it to get exposed such that it is in plain sight, I may be illegally "brandishing" it.

Its kinda funny. I can strap a pistol on my thigh and walk around with it in plain sight, legally.

However, if I have it concealed, carrying it legally, if I happen to allow it to get exposed such that it is in plain sight, I may be illegally "brandishing" it.

You're expecting me to argue that there's any sanity at all to a gun law? :tup: THEY ARE INANIMATE OBJECTS. :wacko: