[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fav IPA beer

BeeR

Because the trend has become "lets see how much hops we can jam in there" Some of it is just bad.

Yeah, my point was IPAs are by nature hoppy...sounds like you meant depends on how hoppy you like it, ie not just whether you like hoppy at all or not

All good suggestions. I generally like most all IPAs. One not mentioned yet is Sweetwater IPA. Though 420 is their bestseller many believe the IPA is their best brew and I tend to agree.

The Sweetwater IPA is world's better than 420 since they decided to mass-market that one a while back. I can't even drink 420's as a session beer anymore, because it's just so completely toned down over what it used to be. Their IPA is easily their best offering, and really really good with more aromatic hops.

I'm not as big on the west-coast IPA's (tasted another one beside the Stone IPA recently that I can't remember, but there are better ones out there), but I prefer the more aromatic flavorful hops with some good balance. These are the other ones I always find myself reaching for as my old reliables:

Bells Two Hearted

Heavy Seas Loose Cannon

21st Amendment Brew Free or Die

Dogfish 60 Minute

Founders Double Trouble (if we're talking doubles)

With honorable mentions going to Dales and Terrapin Rye Squared (twice the ingredients/alcohol of their Rye Pale) as pales with flavor on the level of an IPA.

Dogfish is no doubt a top contender on any topic about IPA. When stock piling beer for hurricane Irene, I saw hurricane kitty IPA. Had to buy it. first bottle, wasn't relaly feeling it, second I liked better, now I'm on my 4th pack and really liking it.

I much prefer the 90 minute, better balanced than the 60 or 120 imo.

If made to pick a favorite, I would probably go with the 90 minute.

For regular strength IPAs, I would have to go with SN Torpedo, St. Arnold Elissa and Great Divide Titan. All well balanced beers that have enough malt to compliment the hops. Most IPAs these days are way too thin to support the high IBU content.

For as much as i drink - I havent developed a tremendous tolerance - the 6o minute gets me whacked - I avoid the 90

There are so many good locals these days that I think many of us buy PA's and IPA's locally. Oregon has so many good local breweries that I just don't buy outside the state anymore.

If in the Pacific NW, Deschutes has a great seasonal IPA called Red Chair Ale. As all Deschutes beers, it has a local name and named after the Red Chair at Mt Bachelor. It has a citrus flavor so may not be for everyone. It is listed as an IPA but tastes more like a red ale. I do enjoy Bridgeport IPA which is more widely distributed. I'm really not an IPA expert, so the rest of you carry on, so I learn something.

I like hoppy beers so any recommendations that I can get here in the PNW would be greatly appreciated.

Count me among the non-initiated. I've enjoyed a few good IPA's, but about twice as many bad ones. So, now I play the odds andI pretty much avoid them, since I always feel like there's a more enjoyable beer that I can grab instead.

Hops are an essential ingredient in beer. Not sure why some people think it should be the most prominent ingredient, but whatever -- arguing about "taste" is even less rewarding than drinking bad beer. :wacko:

Count me among the non-initiated. I've enjoyed a few good IPA's, but about twice as many bad ones. So, now I play the odds andI pretty much avoid them, since I always feel like there's a more enjoyable beer that I can grab instead.

Hops are an essential ingredient in beer. Not sure why some people think it should be the most prominent ingredient, but whatever -- arguing about "taste" is even less rewarding than drinking bad beer. :wacko:

That's just it, there is no accounting for taste. I get a kick out of people that look down on a guy for liking a hoppy beer like I dont know there are other things out there. Beleive me, I can appreciate a good porter, stout, Abbey Ale, ect. But I happen to like hops. Cant help it, dont want to change. I can acknoledge there are more balanced versions of IPA's that are a higher quality and taste better. But I would take an average IPA over a good stout any day. Just the way I am i guess.

There are so many good locals these days that I think many of us buy PA's and IPA's locally. Oregon has so many good local breweries that I just don't buy outside the state anymore.

If in the Pacific NW, Deschutes has a great seasonal IPA called Red Chair Ale. As all Deschutes beers, it has a local name and named after the Red Chair at Mt Bachelor. It has a citrus flavor so may not be for everyone. It is listed as an IPA but tastes more like a red ale. I do enjoy Bridgeport IPA which is more widely distributed. I'm really not an IPA expert, so the rest of you carry on, so I learn something.

I like hoppy beers so any recommendations that I can get here in the PNW would be greatly appreciated.

Ninkasi!

It is undoubtedly 100% about pallet and an acquired taste... Years ago even the toned-down pale ales were too hoppy for my tastes, and even several years ago was wary of beers that were too hoppy.... But the more you drink them, the less the bitterness comes through and you can begin to taste the nuances. Nowadays the Sieera Nevada Pale tastes like a light beer to me, and I can't taste the hops at all.

I mean, even just a year ago the Avery IPA was too bitter for my tastes, but after being on a huge IPA kick the last year, I liked it much better when I drank one recently.

Oh and to get back to the discussion at hand, we finally got Cigar City here in ATL. The Jai Alai IPA definitely has some hop to it, but it was sneaky smooth for a 7.5%... I'm a fan.

That's just it, there is no accounting for taste. I get a kick out of people that look down on a guy for liking a hoppy beer

Funny, if anything I got the opposite impression ie there are big IPA fans who act like if you don't like it, your tastes aren't sophisticated enough or something :wacko: Kind of along the same lines as people with a similar attitude towards those who don't like dark beer or red wine etc etc. That said I've been lucky enough to run into extremely few either way, so I think/hope it's an extreme minority.

Edited by BeeR