[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Matt Ryan and the Falcons...

Goopster24

On second thought, why not (after only 1 week of the season) trust Rex Grossman and Chad Henne. :wacko:

Also, please freak out over White. I'm sure another owner in your leagues will oblige.

Grossman has had string of good games as starter of Washington. Not that much of a stretch.

I guess the question is is Ryan "safe" against the Eagles this week? And are you willing to go with the upside of Grossman and Henne? I say yes.

I don't think the sky is falling by any means. It's great to see the number of passes attempted against the Bears. There was nothing available deep, I get that. Watched the entire game. But I agree with analysis of what may happen Sunday: ball control offense with lots of Turner.

If he has two bad weeks though, I think it's fair to question him. The quarterback position killed me last weekend and I probably would have won if it wasn't for that. I can't afford that holding my team back two weeks in a row.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grossman has had string of good games as starter of Washington. Not that much of a stretch.

I guess the question is is Ryan "safe" against the Eagles this week? And are you willing to go with the upside of Grossman and Henne? I say yes.

This.

No one is talking about dropping him or trading him in a panic, it is just a question of upside as stated above.

This thread has made me think about how much money I have made in Fantasy sports over the years acquiring stud players from impatient owners who make irrational moves because they think the sky is falling after one week :wacko:

+1

Bu then, there are likely an equal number of dollars lost by owners that just can't bring themselves to bench a perceived "stud", even when the writing is on the wall. It's easy to say ASYS in hindsight....but I bet there are a ton of C. Johnson/Mendenhall owners right now that wish they had gone with a more appealing option last week.

I'm taking my chances. Most people picking the Eagles, but opening weekend at home, where they were 7-2 last year.

Besides, I just picked up Cutler, so, I suppose I don't have a lot of options.

Trying to trade Ryan, Mendy and Boldin for Rodgers and McCoy. It's been up a few days and I know the other owner checks his stuff. So I'm hoping he bites.

Man, if you can pull that one off....quite a coux. No way I make that trade if I'm him.

Atlanta will run the ball to keep Vick off field. THe Rams Jackson could have had a big day if he did not pull up and go out.

I agree the matchup with Grossman could be the play. The cards can't cover the TE ever sure TD for Davis or Cooley.Heck they let Newton throw for over 400 yards at home. The cards shut down williams and stewart running the ball so they can stop the run.

RIsk for both players but both are at home.

Let me see if I can help with the sky is falling talk. I do not think Ryan is in for a huge game this week (that should be Turner moreso), but I do expect him to play a lot better, put up some stats and show why you drafted him with a mid-round pick.

First, the Bears were able to rush the passer with just their front 4 last week, which enabled them to drop as many as 7 into coverage while still having Ryan run for his life... But while Philly's D-line is improved and the Falcons O-line is still a concern with McClure out, I do not expect them to be that dominant. The Falcons should give them a heavy dose of Turner to keep them honest, open things up, and of course to keep Vick off the field.

Philly should try to match the WRs man-to-man with their corners, but this could allow for a huge day for Julio as the guy not covered by Aso. Hopefully this will be where the Falcons can finally follow up their promise to go for more explosive and deep plays... Otherwise, if Philly chooses just to take out those 2 wideouts, Turner or blitz Ryan, then Tony G and Douglas should be able to rip their weak LB corp a new one...

Finally, Coach Smith always has his guys ready to play much better coming off a loss, and games don't get much bigger than this... Really what will have the biggest effect on whether the Falcons can remain 2-dimensional is going to be the play of the secondary, who are just pathetic outside of Grimes and Dunta. I'm hoping and praying that the recently signed Sanders and Hayden are somehow ready to go...

With NSab making a return, it's a SIGN, I tell ya! The Iggles will win this game. Ryan and Co. are off to a tough start.

:wacko:

Matt Ryan is my only QB and I'm not worried. Yea, last week wasn't great as he went scoreless, and I don't expect great things this week, but nothing has changed in my mind and I still plan to start him every week.

I don't expect him to end the year as a top 5 QB, but I do expect him to finish about 6-12th, which is fine for the discount price I got him at as I spent my auction draft money elsewhere.

He has upside and could finish somewhere around 5th, but he'll have done his job if he ends up as a top 10 fantasy QB.

Atlanta will run the ball to keep Vick off field. THe Rams Jackson could have had a big day if he did not pull up and go out.

I agree the matchup with Grossman could be the play. The cards can't cover the TE ever sure TD for Davis or Cooley.Heck they let Newton throw for over 400 yards at home. The cards shut down williams and stewart running the ball so they can stop the run.

RIsk for both players but both are at home.

I agree Was will be looking for the TE and from what I saw last week Davis is going to be the stud. Cooley had 3 targets for 2 catches and 21 yards. Meanwhile Davis had 6 targets for 5 catches and 105 yards.... I'll grant Cooley is still coming back from knee surgery but Davis showed that spark of talent that needs to be exploited.

I'm hoping Turner keep Vick off the field but he'll eventually get on the field and cause havoc

One week obviously but this matchup with the Eagles has me worried. Heard Tony Dungy say that he thinks Matt Ryan still has the GB loss in his head. Not sure about that but interesting to hear.

Matt Ryan statistically hasn't done well his last several games. Never been a "great" fantasy quarterback but some believed he'd make that leap this season with new weapons and another year under his belt.

Saw some stats of him on grass too and didn't like that.

Ryan owners, concerned? Will you be starting him this week against the "dream" corners of Philly? Me? I'm starting to feel out his value a little bit around my league. I'm thinking of benching him this week (for Grossman... :wacko:).

Not necessarily fantasy relevant, but the Falcons are one of those teams that does everything well, but nothing "Great." Ryan is a QB who fits that modus operandi to a T. I don't see him as stud-like, nor as elite either in the fantasy world or the real one. But a pretty good player.

I'm not worried about Ryan accept for this week due in large part to last week. I can live with a guy I got in the 7th round giving me respectable numbers each week with nice potential for more but he straight up killed me. I got beat by 20 at the QB position alone for crying out loud!

The league I have him in I also have Kolb who I'm not sold is an upgrade but the match-up for Ryan bothers me. I may just flip a coin... or hell, just go with Ryan so I can watch my player on Sunday night.

Well Ryan outscored Rexy by 5 points. I started Ryan. Looks like it won't cost me thanks to Vick's injury.

Now Ryan goes to Tampa and plays on grass. Benching Ryan two weeks in a row...?

I started Grossman in one league and was fairly pleased with his numbers. We get a bonus at 300 yards which is what I was really hoping for, he almost got it.

Ryan's 4 TDs really surprised but in the end it didn't matter, my team won going away in that league thanks to guys like VJax, etc.

Grossman faces Dallas next week. Hmmmm :wacko:

I had VJax too. Phew.

Ryan playing on grass this week. Again, that offense's "kryptonite."

Yeah, VJax was huge yesterday, good thing for us the Pats were busy shutting down Gates. Zero catches, hard to believe.

Grossman went 25 of 43 for 322 last year in Dallas, threw 4 TDs against 2 picks (he fumbled one time as well). The Dallas D hasn't really impressed and the 'Skins offense seems improved, maybe Rex is worth a start again next week too...

Yeah, VJax was huge yesterday, good thing for us the Pats were busy shutting down Gates. Zero catches, hard to believe.

Grossman went 25 of 43 for 322 last year in Dallas, threw 4 TDs against 2 picks (he fumbled one time as well). The Dallas D hasn't really impressed and the 'Skins offense seems improved, maybe Rex is worth a start again next week too...

You guys are still on this Rex freaking Grossman over Ryan thing? I don't care if Ryan was playing the Jets at home, I wouldn't start Grossman... I'll be surprised if the guy goes 2 more games without turning back into a pumpkin.

Ryan didn't have the prettiest game last night, but especially with all of the teams that the Falcons play that are able to put up big points, you should see more of those Matty Ice performances like you did at the end of last night.... His floor is still tremendously higher than Grossman's.

For all the reasons cited for sitting Ryan for a guy like Grossman or Henne is precisely why betting against Ryan is a losing one. ATL's offense is not in decline. It's still coming together after adding a few pieces in a shortened offseason. So far it's been all Gonzo and Turner but Ryan will start connecting with White and Jones. White is kind of a slow starter anyway. For his career his ypg jumps about 50% in October and his TDs double. They probably put the cart before the horse with trying to go to Jones so early and often. Finally, losing Dahl on the OL to free agency probably hurt more than anything else.

BTW, Chicago at home and the Eagles are really, really good NFL defenses. Can't say that about, for example, the Cards or the visiting and banged up Giants.

Drop em, sell low, bench your Falcons...but Ryan and that offense are just coming together. A 300yd game followed by a 4 TD game without much help from the WRs should make this pretty obvious.

BTW, Chicago at home and the Eagles are really, really good NFL defenses. Can't say that about, for example, the Cards or the visiting and banged up Giants.

The above is precisely why I started Grossman, he was pitted against a terrible defense; in fact he faces another terrible defense next week.