[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Baseball Playoffs

Outshined

Also, all three Game 5s were settled by one run. How cool is that?

and all three losses by the Phils were one-run games, too. There has been some very entertaining baseball played thus far, capping perhaps the greatest final week of regular season in history.

And I agree, as a hardcore fan, that both series should be entertaining. However, I am guessing TV execs are hating these matchups, as both CS's and the ensuing WS will likely be some of the lower-rated posteseason games recent memory.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and all three losses by the Phils were one-run games, too. There has been some very entertaining baseball played thus far, capping perhaps the greatest final week of regular season in history.

And I agree, as a hardcore fan, that both series should be entertaining. However, I am guessing TV execs are hating these matchups, as both CS's and the ensuing WS will likely be some of the lower-rated posteseason games recent memory.

Wait until the Royals make the World Series next year. There may be low ratings, but I'll still love it when they win it all.

Going to game 3 tonight. Would be much more excited if the series was 1-1. I think Fister gets the Tigers back in the series but we really need our stars to start hitting.

Awesome...enjoy! Place will be electric.I wonder when the last time Detroit sold out a baseball and football game on back-to-back nights? Cool time to be a fan in the Motor City.

Going to game 3 tonight. Would be much more excited if the series was 1-1. I think Fister gets the Tigers back in the series but we really need our stars to start hitting.

Have fun and enjoy the experience. Good luck to the Tigers too.

I'm finding it odd that nobody is talking about whether or not Detroit should have pinch run for Ordonez (I think it was him, the slow dude on the Tigers who got thrown out on the sac fly in Game 4). They score there, they're 3 outs a way from a victory and dude is about as slow as I've ever seen. Mind you, Cruz threw a rope to the plate and may have gunned down a faster runner, but they would have literally had to hit the ball to the track in a deeper part of the park to give that dude a chance.

I was watching with my wife wondering why they didn't run for him when I saw him stumble to 3rd on the single by Martinez. But the only thing anyone talks about is whether they should have sent him. I've heard nobody question not running for him. AL Managers don't need to make that many moves in a game, I'm amazed they didn't make that one.

I'm finding it odd that nobody is talking about whether or not Detroit should have pinch run for Ordonez (I think it was him, the slow dude on the Tigers who got thrown out on the sac fly in Game 4). They score there, they're 3 outs a way from a victory and dude is about as slow as I've ever seen. Mind you, Cruz threw a rope to the plate and may have gunned down a faster runner, but they would have literally had to hit the ball to the track in a deeper part of the park to give that dude a chance.

I was watching with my wife wondering why they didn't run for him when I saw him stumble to 3rd on the single by Martinez. But the only thing anyone talks about is whether they should have sent him. I've heard nobody question not running for him. AL Managers don't need to make that many moves in a game, I'm amazed they didn't make that one.

It was Miguel Cabrera not Ordonez. Believe me it's been a big discussion around these parts. There were a couple of questionable moves in that game that led to the loss IMO. I actually agree with not putting in a pinch runner in that case given the circumstances (game tied 3-3 and you take out arguably the best hitter in baseball without knowing if there will even be a fly ball). The game could go another 3 or 4 innings and we'd really miss his bat. In addition, the only other guy who played first base during the year was Victor Martinez who was already the DH. We would have had to put an inexperienced first baseman in (granted it could have been for one inning but it could have been for longer).

The decision I loathed was Austin Jackson trying to steal a base in the bottom of the 9th (or 10th) with one out. Cabrera is in the on-deck circle. You get thrown out and you take the bat out of his hands in that inning and allow the Rangers another inning. It's exactly what happened and I hated it when we did it.

With that being said, this series is coming down to tomorrow's game IMO. If it goes to game 7 I love the Tigers chances with Fister on the mound (probably the best pitcher nobody knows much about). However, Scherzer is on the mound tomorrow and he is much less consistent.

Great baseball playoffs so far though.

Edited by Puddy

If Ron Washington burritos this series up he needs to be held accountable.

Michael Young couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat, yet Wash keeps him in the 4 hole, and he continues to leave runners on.

Nelson Cruz is killing it, yet Wash won't move him up from the 7 spot. I've got to think Detroit goes the Bonds route and doesn't let him see a pitch. Murph/Moreland can't protect him.

Holland is to busy being funny and growing his mustache and tweeting. This game is too big for him. Ogando on the other hand has killed the Tigers, but Wash leaves him in the bullpen.

Wash's inability to adjust is going to cost this team. This is frustrating.

Washington has prevented the Rangers from winning it all for 3 yrs. now. Just think how good that team could be if they had a real manager. Can you imagine what Leyland would do with that team.

If Ron Washington burritos this series up he needs to be held accountable.

Michael Young couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat, yet Wash keeps him in the 4 hole, and he continues to leave runners on.

Nelson Cruz is killing it, yet Wash won't move him up from the 7 spot. I've got to think Detroit goes the Bonds route and doesn't let him see a pitch. Murph/Moreland can't protect him.

Holland is to busy being funny and growing his mustache and tweeting. This game is too big for him. Ogando on the other hand has killed the Tigers, but Wash leaves him in the bullpen.

Wash's inability to adjust is going to cost this team. This is frustrating.

I think this post might have been just a tad premature.

I think this post might have been just a tad premature.

1. Derek Holland shouldn't be starting in anything meaningful. He's too involved into being funny, and not focused on baseball. Ogando is the man. If Ogando stays in the pen, then Wash needs to go to a four man rotation, because the bright lights are too big for him.

2. Michael Young broke out of his slump tonight. Wash's gamble worked out, but I still don't think Nelly should be batting in the 7 spot. Leyland was foolish to pitch to him, and let him kill his team. I fully expect the Cards/Brewers to avoid him, especially if it's Murphy/Moreland behind him.

Wash has been masterful, IMHO but I am far from a baseball expert.

Detroit had the better starting pitching and some people were talking about hitting for Nelly going into the series (that probably seems crazy to most but if you catch any local sports radio you know people were saying it). We just needed 5 innings from the starters, anything beyond that is a bonus. Being able to get to the bullpen with the game close was the key. I LOVE Ogando but him then Adams then Feliz and that's pretty much it for opposing batters and Ogando can give you two innings just about every night.

Moreland needs to start hitting if he wants to play but both he and Murphy carried the team for a week or two this summer so if Wash trusts them that's good enough for me. Murph went 2 for 2 with 2 RBIs, a SB, 2 runs scored and three walks last night. The reigning MVP has pretty much been an observer this post season so far and they weren't able to run the bases against Detroit. I bet that changes. With Nelly batting 7th, there is just no break for opposing pitchers.

It's all working right now and if it's not broke, I don't see any reason to go fixing stuff at this point in the season. People claim Wash gets lucky or that his gambles pay off. I don't know if the guy is a cold blodded assassin, a genius, the luckiest gambler on the face of the earth, MLB's version of Froest Gump or he sold his sould to the devil. I just don't know. What I do know, without a doubt, it's no accident. I trust Washington, there's not reason not to.

:wacko: to the Tigers, BTW. Leyland was right, all the team had left was fumes and heart and that will catch up to you over 7 games. It was awesome baseball to watch.

Club, that's a great post. How anyone can argue against Washington at this point is beyond me. Cruz is at #7 because the Rangers bat all the way down their lineup so his chances of batting people in are pretty much the same as they would be at #4. Young is an absolutely stone cold certainty to hit well and Washington's decision to stick with him paid off last night (5 RBIs). If it ain't broke, don't fix it and the Rangers ain't broke.

Jesus, if this team was in Minnesota, we'd be erecting statues to the manager right now, not ripping him.

I was rooting for Detroit, as there are a lot of ex-Pirate coaches there, and I love Leyland. However, props go to the Rangers on their 2nd straight AL championship. They are a hard team not to like. I'll definitely be rooting for them strongly if it is against the Cardinals. If it is the Brewers, I'd be happy for either one of them. I've really enjoyed watching the playoffs, and look forward to an entertaining world series. :wacko: