[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Front load washing machines

Jimmy Neutron

Bought a Whirlpool Duet 3.5 years ago and it's going out. Repairs are projected to cost $1400. We're getting cash from the warranty - what do owners recommend?

I've had a Samsung for several years now without any trouble whatsoever. Quiet as can be. I can only assume technology has gotten even better the last few years as well. I bought the extended warranty and have never used it.

Oh and we wash almost every single day. :wacko:

We just bought a Maytag Bravos...top loader he.....love it! But probably anything was going to be exciting to me after the 25 yr old monstrosity I was replacing.....lol.

We got it from Menard's last week, on sale plus a $150.00 mail-in rebate. Will cost us $479.00 + tax total. I thought that was damn good.

We've had a FL washer from GE for a little over a year now, no complaints. I don't recall the model# or what we paid for it (got the 'companion' GE dryer at the same time, so ended up with supposedly a 'matched set' discount) but if you are interested, let me know and I'll look to see if I can find the paperwork that came with the purchase.

Got rid of my Front Loader recently and went back to a Top Loader. I'll never go back to FL's. :wacko:

What did you get rid of?

Got the LG FL washer and dryer pair. F'n wonderful machines. Top loaders are one step up from going down the river and banging your clothes on rocks.

How long have you had them?

I buy the cheap top loaders and they seem to last about 10-15 years with no problems. And I spend about $800 for both a washer and dryer. You boneheads who spend all that money on front loaders are moroons.

Appliances are commodities. :wacko:

Edited by Chief Dick

About two and a half years, I think, maybe a bit less.

Explains your previous response. I thought the same thing at one time in my life. Just wait a few more years. My Kenmore crapped out after about 5/6 years. Same story as the OP. I will never purchase another front load washer ever again. And all of my other Kenmore purchases have been very solid (knock on wood).

I've had a Samsung for several years now without any trouble whatsoever. Quiet as can be. I can only assume technology has gotten even better the last few years as well. I bought the extended warranty and have never used it.

Oh and we wash almost every single day. :lol:

Holy Jinx Batman...

Get home tonight and the washer is broken. Stopped spinning with 9 minutes left in the cycle. First problem I've had yet. Pulled out the 4-year extended warranty I bought from Lowe's. I purchased this on 7-23-07. My warranty expired 9 weeks ago. :tup:

Thanks for the Jinx Jimmy. :wacko:

Holy Jinx Batman...

Get home tonight and the washer is broken. Stopped spinning with 9 minutes left in the cycle. First problem I've had yet. Pulled out the 4-year extended warranty I bought from Lowe's. I purchased this on 7-23-07. My warranty expired 9 weeks ago. :tup:

Thanks for the Jinx Jimmy. :wacko:

Ouch. Sorry, man. :lol:

Ouch. Sorry, man. :wacko:

Well...I took the clothes out and ran a 'quick' wash cycle and the spin cycle worked fine. Just can't get it to spin only. The crazy part is the timing of the expiration of the warranty. At least I can still use it. Oh and if I'm forced to buy another one I'll probably get a Samsung again.

I tried to copy and paste the latest ratings from CR here but couldn't get the format to work. The top three were Whirlpool Duets (listed at different price points). A Samsung model was next.

Here's the top ten:

Whirlpool Duet WFW94HEX[W] $1000

Whirlpool Duet WFW95HEX[ ] $1200

Whirlpool Duet WFW97HEX[ ] $1500

Samsung WF511AB[W] $1300

Maytag Maxima MHW6000X[W] $1000

Maytag Maxima MHW7000X[ ] $1200

Kenmore 4027[2] $800 [CR Best Buy]

Kenmore Elite 4051[2] $1020

Kenmore Elite Steam 4102 $1130

Samsung WF520AB[P] $1400

The top score was 87...number ten was 83....so it looks like all are very good machines. They rated over 100 machines with the scores going all the way down to the 50's.

Well...I took the clothes out and ran a 'quick' wash cycle and the spin cycle worked fine. Just can't get it to spin only. The crazy part is the timing of the expiration of the warranty. At least I can still use it. Oh and if I'm forced to buy another one I'll probably get a Samsung again.

I tried to copy and paste the latest ratings from CR here but couldn't get the format to work. The top three were Whirlpool Duets (listed at different price points). A Samsung model was next.

Here's the top ten:

Whirlpool Duet WFW94HEX[W] $1000

Whirlpool Duet WFW95HEX[ ] $1200

Whirlpool Duet WFW97HEX[ ] $1500

Samsung WF511AB[W] $1300

Maytag Maxima MHW6000X[W] $1000

Maytag Maxima MHW7000X[ ] $1200

Kenmore 4027[2] $800 [CR Best Buy]

Kenmore Elite 4051[2] $1020

Kenmore Elite Steam 4102 $1130

Samsung WF520AB[P] $1400

The top score was 87...number ten was 83....so it looks like all are very good machines. They rated over 100 machines with the scores going all the way down to the 50's.

Thanks for the CR info - glad your machine is not DOA.

We originally bought the Duet because it was well rated. Kinda feel like I should get more than 3.5 years out of a $1200 unit - even serving a family of 6. Interesting LG is not on that list - sales personnel have been telling us Samsung and LG have shared the top spots in recent years.

Got the LG FL washer and dryer pair. F'n wonderful machines. Top loaders are one step up from going down the river and banging your clothes on rocks.

Yeah, well......I'm not talking about the old agitator top loaders. This one is like a front loader (no center agitator) except with top load access. It's HUGH. And high efficiency. And quiet. And I'm pretty thrilled with it. It also wasn't a "$1400" unit....I just can't justify that kind of price for a frikken washer.

Bought a Whirlpool Duet 3.5 years ago and it's going out. Repairs are projected to cost $1400. We're getting cash from the warranty - what do owners recommend?

Just passed 4 years with our Duets this August. No real problems so far (knock on wood).

As far as the front load vs top load debate, I am happy with the way the front load cleans the clothes and it seems to be efficient. We dont go through a lot of laundry soap or h2o. There are some cons, however. For one thing, I have to clean it. Seems silly to have to clean out the inside of a washing machine, but its necessary. Those of you who own Duets/FLs probably know what I am talking about. Also, it tangles my clothes (particularly, the sleeves on my shirts and the legs on my khakis) into a knot so bad I have to "unravel" everything and shake it out before throwing in the dryer. Very annoying, IMO. Also, its loud and shakes pretty aggressively when it spins. I know that is normal for that machine, but still kind of annoying. :wacko:

Have had LG front loaders for 9 years with only a minor issue on the spin cycle. It wouln't spin and threw and "error" code. Looked it up online and found out that it was likely a sensor. I bought the sensor for $40 and replaced it myself in about 1 hour. Never buy the insurance er. extended warranty as I think it is a waste of money. Consumer Reports generally says this as well.

Yeah, well......I'm not talking about the old agitator top loaders. This one is like a front loader (no center agitator) except with top load access. It's HUGH. And high efficiency. And quiet. And I'm pretty thrilled with it. It also wasn't a "$1400" unit....I just can't justify that kind of price for a frikken washer.

Indeed. Spent much less money on the Cabrio than on the front loader. No agitator....does a nice job....is economical with water, etc.

had an LG for several years now. only issue is that it tends to get some mildew stank going from time to time. there's stuff you can get to sort of get rid of it, but mostly it's just prevention....running a load with bleach from time to time, *not* using too much detergent, doing warm/hot water loads occasionally, and leaving the door ajar for a few hours after a load sometimes.

had an LG for several years now. only issue is that it tends to get some mildew stank going from time to time. there's stuff you can get to sort of get rid of it, but mostly it's just prevention....running a load with bleach from time to time, *not* using too much detergent, doing warm/hot water loads occasionally, and leaving the door ajar for a few hours after a load sometimes.

The LG machine I just bought a month ago, specifically recommends leaving the door ajar after using it. It even has a magnet positioned to hold the door slightly open so it won't swing freely. It also has a cleaning cycle as one of the options. Bleach only. It's supposed to keep that mildew smell from happening. They recommend running this once a month.

The matching dryer lasted three loads before it stopped heating. I had installed brand new ducting, so I am certain there was no blockage. It took a week to get a repair person to come. It was a defective thermal fuse. They replaced the fuse and thermostat and the dryer has been working quite well since then. Fingers crossed.

Mine is a Whirlpool, don't remember which model. The rubber boot on the front leaks and also has to be cleaned regularly to prevent mildew from building up and making the clothes stink. Also, recently, the shutoff valve started leaking so if you don't get the clothes out right away the tub will start to fill up with water again. Which, unfortunately, you can't really tell until you open the damn thing & all the water spills out onto the floor. So, until I can pay to get the thing fixed or can figure out what I need to replace, we have to shut the water off between washes. I won't buy another one.