[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is this tacky...or is it just me?

buddahj

A friend of mine got married a month or so ago. They didn't have a wedding. So a few weeks ago they send out an invite for a party they are throwing to celebrate their "blessed union". At the bottom of the invite it states where they are registered at. I'm assuming so we can all buy them a present. To me, this just seems tacky. I'm just curious what someone else thinks.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine got married a month or so ago. They didn't have a wedding.

:wacko:

Meaning what, they're gay?

Yeah IMO that's tacky and a pretty obvious attempt to loot their "friends." No wedding, why expect a wedding present? Get them a "blessed union present." How about the ACLU Handbook?

I'm having a really hard time seeing how this is really all that different from a wedding invitation.

In both cases you go to a party that celebrates a union between two people.

In both cases, a present is typically expected.

BeeR, do you feel cheated because you weren't there when they said, "I do"? Honestly? Would you be cool with it if they yelled that at their party of "blessed union"?

I'm really trying to figure out what the sticking point here is.

BTW, there are far more shameless loot-grabs in the name of marriage. The worst is the trifecta of engagement party/couple's(or bridal) shower/wedding with gifts at each. If they don't get you in the wash...

been to many that did not have a " wedding" that cost thousands but had a party that was a blast. Not tacky... are they registered at target , get them a bag of dog food.

Yep, ours was a 600 taco cookout, my Dad bought the food and FIL bought the Beer plus i didn't have to do thank-yous :wacko: good times

been to many that did not have a " wedding" that cost thousands but had a party that was a blast. Not tacky... are they registered at target , get them a bag of dog food.

Yup... Just because someone doesn't get married in a traditional wedding doesn't mean they shouldn't reap the same benefits as all the other couples.

Yup... Just because someone doesn't get married in a traditional wedding doesn't mean they shouldn't reap the same benefits as all the other couples.

I didn't want any gifts or tacos from my friends, it was about us gettin married, not all the bullchit that goes with it, that's tacky. Islands in the stream, that is what were are motorboatin baby :wacko:

Slightly tacky, but I can understand not wanting the big production. It's a lot of expense for what is basically a fancy dinner. I wanted to just go to the JOTP and take a 2-week honeymoon but my wife wasn't having it. In retrospect I'm glad we had an actual wedding though, it was really great.

I would buy them a gift, same as if it was a regular wedding. To me the wedding gift is something you give to congratulate the couple regardless of the venue or if I was invited to the ceremony. If the party is just something casual at someone's house, I would not give cash in addition to the gift, as would be expected for an actual reception.

I think it is tacky to put registry information on or in with a wedding invitation. So, for a celebration party, very tacky. I mean both cases screams hey give me crap. Every adult knows to show up with a gift of some sort, so pick up the phone and call to inquire about the registry.

+1

ETA: Who wants to go to a boring ceremony anyway.

Buy them a $25 gift and load up on free booze and food. However, if it's cash bar - then it's tacky.

Edited by twiley

I think it is tacky to put registry information on or in with a wedding invitation. So, for a celebration party, very tacky. I mean both cases screams hey give me crap. Every adult knows to show up with a gift of some sort, so pick up the phone and call to inquire about the registry.

Why do we have to be insulated from the simple realities of our day to day endeavors?

If you're going to a wedding (or blissful union celebration), you're supposed to bring a gift. Everyone knows this. So, it's tacky for them to make it easy for you?

There are other ways people cry "tacky" about things like this and it amazes me.

+1

ETA: Who wants to go to a boring ceremony anyway.

Buy them a $25 gift and load up on free booze and food. However, if it's cash bar - then it's tacky.

You can usually get a pretty decent spice rack at Target for $20.00 - $30.00.

Not tacky. If I'm invited to a wedding, whether it's the ceremony or party or both, I expect to bring them a gift. So the registry note at the bottom is appreciated because I don't have to make a phone call or ask around or try to guess what to get them.

:wacko: +1

I'm kinda torn on this one.

I have no problem with them throwing an after-the-fact party to celebrate their vows. If it was a good friend of mine who didn't want or couldn't afford an elaborate production, I wouldn't feel slighted in the least. And I definitely would bring them a gift to show my support....they wouldn't have to ask.

And thats the rub....by putting on the invite the store where they are registered (while helpful), it can come off looking like they are asking (or expecting) a gift of some sort. if you invited me to your party, I am likely a friend, co-worker, or family. Of course I am going to bring a gift. But by you actually putting on the invite, you are either (1) telling me what you want, which is presumptuous or (2) assuming I have no tact and would actually have shown up without a present for the new couple.

JMO, but I'd have left it off the invite, with the full knowledge most people are likely going to give me cash (which I would rather have anyway so I could buy my own stuff) or a tasteful gift.

of course it is tacky

are they inviting you to celebrate their blessed union or are they having a party to get presents?

I think it's tacky to make jokes about a dead guy while his body is still warm.

Apparently making fun of a dead horse is worse....RIP Barbaro