[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

No TV in the house...

Jimmy Neutron

So I got rid of broadcast TV about two months ago. I got tired of the crap that was on and the fact my kids were watching too much. We still have DVDs and stream Netflix and Hulu, but don't seem to use them much.

I do miss football. Other than that, it's been great. I read a lot more and the house is much more peaceful. Kids all brought home great grades - not that they were bad before.

Anybody else tried the no tv thing?

My wife is actually suggesting we pick up basic cable or something - and she watched tv less than any of us. :wacko:

So I got rid of broadcast TV about two months ago. I got tired of the crap that was on and the fact my kids were watching too much. We still have DVDs and stream Netflix and Hulu, but don't seem to use them much.

I do miss football. Other than that, it's been great. I read a lot more and the house is much more peaceful. Kids all brought home great grades - not that they were bad before.

Anybody else tried the no tv thing?

Yeah. Back with it now but seriously thinking of bagging it. $40-50+ a month isn't worth the little I watch which is mostly documentary type anyway, prime time has been utter crapola for a long time. Even w/football I end up doing stuff around the house or yard and just checking scores off and on.

Lightning hit my TV a couple of years ago, and I never replaced it, so I have no TV either. Haven't missed it, other than football, but I just go to someone else's house on Sunday.

I'm sure they're collecting for Christmas to end that.

Tried it during college, it didn't work.

Now, though - with the ability to get news/weather/sports online, and TONS of viewing options available for streaming thru Netflix? Surprised we haven't done so already.

The ONLY thing I'd probably really miss would be watching sporting events as they happen.

Edited by Chavez

I would miss being able to snap it on anytime to catch historical stuff or some documentary on astronomy, maybe an occasional re-run of a show I liked, and occasionally during football season. But did without for years and like you said with other options (internet, netflix) to fill the gap I can't justify the cost.

I only have an HD Antenna

?? Antenna?

I would miss being able to snap it on anytime to catch historical stuff or some documentary on astronomy, maybe an occasional re-run of a show I liked, and occasionally during football season. But did without for years and like you said with other options (internet, netflix) to fill the gap I can't justify the cost.

?? Antenna?

yeah, an in-door antenna...I get local channels in HD :wacko:

everything else is blu-ray and netflix..

I keep it for sports which make up the vast majority of our TV watching. The very few non-sport shows we watch are all time shifted to avoid commercials (and let us dictate when we watch rather than being dictated to). Never watch anything that has commercials other than SNF and MNF.

I keep it for sports which make up the vast majority of our TV watching. The very few non-sport shows we watch are all time shifted to avoid commercials (and let us dictate when we watch rather than being dictated to). Never watch anything that has commercials other than SNF and MNF.

So I take it you watch the NFL Redzone channel, too? :wacko:

Never have turned off the TV in our house. My daughter was always a good student, we never had to tell her to "Turn it off" (pre-cell phone days).

Currently the wife and I have "Our Shows". Every night we sit down and watch something. We DVR everything!

Understand the cost thing, but we don't go out to see movies, no Netflicks, etc.. We also like a lot of the same network shows.

But then we are old retired people living off the state.

It works for us. :wacko:

We love TV in my house. My kids have disney channel shows they like. I like HBO series and football games. My wife likes chiller etc. We also enjoy a good family movie night on the weekend where we rent something on demand .

Edited by whomper

You, sir, are taking away my lively-hood.