[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pedophile at Penn State?

Puddy

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He reported it, but didn't follow up on it. That's the issue. Well, that and anyone who pretends that the AD is "his boss".
I know Paterno is BMOC and all, but yeah, the AD IS his boss. There's no "pretending." Even with a guy like Paterno, there are procedures to follow and he did that. The AD and/or the GA should have contacted police.

Sure, Paterno satisfied his legal obligation to report the offense to "his boss". It's jut that none of us are buying that he should be even remotely off the hook here. He is Penn State football.
And-? This is not about PSU football just because Sandusky is and was an ex-, repeat ex-coach at the time. The GA shouldn't have even gone to Paterno but to the AD, IMO.

PS as I have said before, I am not saying Paterno is faultless. I just disagree with throwing him on the fire. IMO let him finish out the few games remaining and retire. At the very least the school could have gone to him and said "either resign/retire or we're firing you." But I think the PSU execs are sitting around nervously knowing they better burn people or they could be next, and what a massive log on the fire Paterno is to ease the mob, so they threw him over the castle wall. Just watch how much this satisifies people because by golly they got Paterno. Who cares if it was handled properly? "Justice" was served. Right.

What about the next time he saw him on campus? Would that warrant a follow up with the AD? "Hey, btw, I noticed Sandusky is still around. What ever happened to that whole fondling of kids thing?"
Agree but I'd like to know when/if he did see him on campus as you say. Edited by BeeR

I know Paterno is BMOC and all, but yeah, the AD IS his boss. There's no "pretending." Even with a guy like Paterno, there are procedures to follow and he did that. The AD and/or the GA should have contacted police.

And-? This is not about PSU football just because Sandusky is and was an ex-, repeat ex-coach at the time. The GA shouldn't have even gone to Paterno but to the AD, IMO.

PS as I have said before, I am not saying Paterno is faultless. I just disagree with throwing him on the fire. IMO let him finish out the few games remaining and retire. At the very least the school could have gone to him and said "either resign/retire or we're firing you." But I think the PSU execs are sitting around nervously knowing they better burn people or they could be next, and what a massive log on the fire Paterno is to ease the mob, so they threw him over the castle wall. Just watch how much this satisifies people because by golly they got Paterno. Who cares if it was handled properly? "Justice" was served. Right.

Agree but I'd like to know when/if he did see him on campus as you say.

The last sentence shows you are completely in the dark on this situation. Sandusky has been on campus repeatedly since 1998. He was working out in the football weight room LAST WEEK. Again...LAST WEEK.

The last sentence shows you are completely in the dark on this situation. Sandusky has been on campus repeatedly since 1998. He was working out in the football weight room LAST WEEK. Again...LAST WEEK.

This....and the fact he continued to bring children to Penn State practices in 2006 and 2007.

Think about that: McQueary and Paterno knew what he did in 2002....and still allowed him to bring young boys to their practices in the late 2000's.

I think they're all sick, to varying degrees.

I will preface this by saying that I have read the grand jury indictment...and I think that Sandusky needs to be drug out onto the field at Happy Valley and castra*** nevermind..I pary for the victims and their families in this case as these kids had their innocence taken away from them by someone who should be shot..

Here is the issue I have with this...everyone is saying that Joe should have done more..and should have followed up on this..and should have reported this to the proper authorities.. but the question I have is..how do we know he didnt do this? First off he heard of the incident from McQuerey...and then the next day he reported it to Curley (the AD who IS Joe's boss), and Schultz (who is the HEAD OF CAMPUS POLICE, which in this case has jurisdiction in any legal matters on university grounds. This is the EXACT chain of command that was put in place by THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES who obiviously have enough power to fire JoePa and the University President. So Joe follows the proper chain of command and then what if in the ensuing days, Joe follows up with Schultz and Schultz comes back with the reply.."Dont worry Joe its under investigation, and being taken care of by us and the board of trustees?? Again..in hindsight Joe should have followed up more if he saw Sandusky on campus in the following years...but noone knows if he again went to Schultz or Curley and they came back to him and said the matter has been taken care of by the board of trustees...

There were allegations of Sandusky committing these heinous acts back in 1999, and the appointed "heir apparent" was told by Joe that his opportunity to be head coach was never to happen and that the 55 year old Sandusky should accept early retirement. In 32 years Joe with Sandusky on staff had 31 winning seasons. In the five years after Sandusky Penn State had 1 winning season and this same board of trustees wanted to force Joe out then because they thought he lost his edge... Joe pushed Sandusky out back then and the board of Trustees brought Sandusky back in. Yes the same board of trustees who gave Sandusky his severance package in 1999 which included his office and phone in the football facility. They also gave him full campus access and allowed him to continue to be affiliated with his Second Mile program.. Sandusky was out of the football program in 1999 and yet the Board gave him this and allowed him to be back on campus..NOT JOE...You can say everything you want about Sandusky beign allowed on campus even as late as last week. Well this was a perk given to him in the package he got fromthe board of trustees..NOT JOE..Is it Joe's job to babysit to see if Sandusky is on any of the campuses across PA? Why aren't the same questions being asked of these board of trustee members?? why are people not asking them to do more...follow up more?

Again..Im not saying that Joe is not entirely at fault here and this whole situation makes me sick to my stomach as I am a PSU grad and it will take a whole lot of time to be proud of PSU again....there are a lot of facts that remain unclear at this time..I think Joe really needs to come out and answer the question of ".why did he continue to allow or look the other way when Sandusky continued to use the football facilities? He could have/should have pulled the plug on that years ago".. that is something that I am still wondering about and hoping that he addresses this sooner rather than later.. .the problem I have is if anyone watched the coverage last night on ESPN, all you saw was Joe's name on the screen and how this is a disgrace on Joe...and while some of that is true..Joe was not the one who did this!! Not one time was the focus on the monster who committed these acts...Joe didn't commit any crimes and yet thats not the message that was given last night..

Edited by JimFromSales

The reason he gets all of the publicity is because all of these decisions to not contact police, whether it was done by the Board of Trustees, Paterno, the university president, or whoever, was done to protect what is Penn State football. And that leads directly to Joe Paterno.

I agree...they should all be fried. But when you (Joe Paterno) preaches virtue for 45 years, then you deserve the response you get when you didn't hold up your end of the bargain.

I will preface this by saying that I have read the grand jury indictment...and I think that Sandusky needs to be drug out onto the field at Happy Valley and castra*** nevermind..I pary for the victims and their families in this case as these kids had their innocence taken away from them by someone who should be shot..

Here is the issue I have with this...everyone is saying that Joe should have done more..and should have followed up on this..and should have reported this to the proper authorities.. but the question I have is..how do we know he didnt do this? First off he heard of the incident from McQuerey...and then the next day he reported it to Curley (the AD who IS Joe's boss), and Schultz (who is the HEAD OF CAMPUS POLICE, which in this case has jurisdiction in any legal matters on university grounds. This is the EXACT chain of command that was put in place by THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES who obiviously have enough power to fire JoePa and the University President. So Joe follows the proper chain of command and then what if in the ensuing days, Joe follows up with Schultz and Schultz comes back with the reply.."Dont worry Joe its under investigation, and being taken care of by us and the board of trustees?? Again..in hindsight Joe should have followed up more if he saw Sandusky on campus in the following years...but noone knows if he again went to Schultz or Curley and they came back to him and said the matter has been taken care of by the board of trustees...

There were allegations of Sandusky committing these heinous acts back in 1999, and the appointed "heir apparent" was told by Joe that his opportunity to be head coach was never to happen and that the 55 year old Sandusky should accept early retirement. In 32 years Joe with Sandusky on staff had 31 winning seasons. In the five years after Sandusky Penn State had 1 winning season and this same board of trustees wanted to force Joe out then because they thought he lost his edge... Joe pushed Sandusky out back then and the board of Trustees brought Sandusky back in. Yes the same board of trustees who gave Sandusky his severance package in 1999 which included his office and phone in the football facility. They also gave him full campus access and allowed him to continue to be affiliated with his Second Mile program.. Sandusky was out of the football program in 1999 and yet the Board gave him this and allowed him to be back on campus..NOT JOE...You can say everything you want about Sandusky beign allowed on campus even as late as last week. Well this was a perk given to him in the package he got fromthe board of trustees..NOT JOE..Is it Joe's job to babysit to see if Sandusky is on any of the campuses across PA? Why aren't the same questions being asked of these board of trustee members?? why are people not asking them to do more...follow up more?

Again..Im not saying that Joe is not entirely at fault here and this whole situation makes me sick to my stomach as I am a PSU grad and it will take a whole lot of time to be proud of PSU again....there are a lot of facts that remain unclear at this time..I think Joe really needs to come out and answer the question of ".why did he continue to allow or look the other way when Sandusky continued to use the football facilities? He could have/should have pulled the plug on that years ago".. that is something that I am still wondering about and hoping that he addresses this sooner rather than later.. .the problem I have is if anyone watched the coverage last night on ESPN, all you saw was Joe's name on the screen and how this is a disgrace on Joe...and while some of that is true..Joe was not the one who did this!! Not one time was the focus on the monster who committed these acts...Joe didn't commit any crimes and yet thats not the message that was given last night..

As a Penn State grad you need to step back yourself for a while. I am afraid there is so much more to this story than what we have heard. I don't mean things that might clear Joe, I mean really nasty stuff.

One thing needs to be pointed out here. Until last night, there was not one thing that happened on that campus without Joes approval. I don't mean that in a literal sense. If he did not want something to happen, he had plenty of power to make sure it did not. You need to take off the rose colored glasses. Joe controlled that campus for the last 20 years. If he did not think Sandusky should have been on campus, there is not one person there with enough power to overrule him. Until last night.

Edited by caddyman

I can only speak for myself, but I've held since this scandal broke that every person affiliated with PSU who had any knowledge of this incident should be fired. And hopefully sued by the victims.

Joe doesn't deserve the lion's share of the blame here, but he deserves blame. A normal, caring human being (and one who had as much power at the university as Joe Paterno) would have ensured that this monster never had access to his program after the incident in 2002. The first time Joe saw Sandusky on campus after the incident was reported to administration, he should have checked to see if the police had been notified and if not, should have notified them himself. Same goes for McQueary.

At best, the facts paint Paterno as a guy who didn't want to get overly involved, either because of his ties to Sandusky or because he was concerned how the 2002 story would paint his football program. At worst, he's a co-conspirator who knowingly allowed this stuff to continue because it was the easier path to take.

One phone call by any of these people would have likely prevented the abuse of a significant number of young boys. That's the bottom line. They all deserve every bit of scorn they get, and then some.

I can only speak for myself, but I've held since this scandal broke that every person affiliated with PSU who had any knowledge of this incident should be fired. And hopefully sued by the victims.

Joe doesn't deserve the lion's share of the blame here, but he deserves blame. A normal, caring human being (and one who had as much power at the university as Joe Paterno) would have ensured that this monster never had access to his program after the incident in 2002. The first time Joe saw Sandusky on campus after the incident was reported to administration, he should have checked to see if the police had been notified and if not, should have notified them himself. Same goes for McQueary.

At best, the facts paint Paterno as a guy who didn't want to get overly involved, either because of his ties to Sandusky or because he was concerned how the 2002 story would paint his football program. At worst, he's a co-conspirator who knowingly allowed this stuff to continue because it was the easier path to take.

One phone call by any of these people would have likely prevented the abuse of a significant number of young boys. That's the bottom line. They all deserve every bit of scorn they get, and then some.

I agree with this.

The problem I have is that the "media" is being blamed for his downfall....and its flat-out not true. Paterno can only look himself in the mirror to find fault. As you note, he doesn't deserve anywhere close to the majority of the blame, but he has to be held accountable.

This issue everyone is having with his firing is that it came quick, and for good reason: he is the public face of PSU, and in two days was scheduled to represent the University in a televised game against Nebraska. None of the others (except McQueary, who I feel should be gone prior to the game) are in the public eye. They have all been sent packing without any "media" attention, because they were never int he public eye to begin with.

There is no possible way, with all the questions surrounding who knew what, that they could have trotted Paterno out Saturday to represent the University. That in itself would have been yet another slap in the face to the victims and their families, for if any of them had any questions about whether Paterno was part of the cover-up, the message from the University would have appeared to be "We don't think he did, so we are letting him do his thing." The fact that he essentially threw it in their face by announcing "I am going to coach until the end of the year." forced their hand. Its kinda sad the old man didn't realize this himself, and step down on his own terms at the right time.

The Head Coach has a responsibility for his assistant coaches. I am DAMN sure that JoePa hires his assistants, and NOT the Board of Trustees. I am also quite sure that JoePa, with his fricken clout at that university, makes every final say regarding the members of HIS staff.

You are damn right that JoePa has some culpability in all this. To say otherwise is flat out ignorant at this point as more details emerge . . . .

Um, that's why they fired the AD and the President as well. Joe was just part of the collateral damage. Mcquery should be gone as well IMO.

Was the AD fired? I thought he was just on administrative leave along with VP Schultz. Unless I am wrong I don't know how the Board stops short and does not fire these two, the only two other than Sandusky to be brought up on charges.

And what I really don't understand is how that spineless McQueary retains his job and will be on the sideline on Saturday. The guys sees a grown man raping a child and does nothing to stop it. How do you allow someone like this represent your university? I don't understand how that guy can look at himself in the mirror knowing what he saw. Spineless weasel. I heard Pozlusny on Mike & Mike this morning saying that Sandusky was still around the football program when he was there, years after this incident. I agree with what they said - how do you look this man in the eye and work side by side with him? Goes to show what kind of man he is, or should I say isn't. McQueary should be strung up with the rest of them.

I also read a report that Paterno's son said that JoePa never once talked to Sandusky about the incident. Talk about burying your head in the sand. My son started kindergarten this year and the Principal quoted JoePa in saying that he does not judge his players by how well they play football, but by what kind of men they will be in 10 years. I wish Joe would have held himself to this standard. A man does not allow this to happen to children.

Joe Pa had to go. To argue otherwise at this point is to ignorantly argue in favor of rubbing this behavior in the victims' faces. It's over. The Big Guy has to go and you can bet there will be a house cleaning of reckoning once this train picks up speed.

Take a quick look at Penn State's Athletic Administration - they were ALL grads of Penn State while Paterno was coach. He was... Penn State. Simple as that. And Penn State has now been exposed for condoning and frankly institutionalizing some very suspect behavior if these charges are even minimally true.

Stunning and sad.