[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Iphone 4S vs iphone 4 vs HTC EVO 4G

Avernus

I am in the market for getting a cell phone again and don't know anything about any of these phones....I'm not sure if I care about the difference between 3G and 4G and only really would choose an iphone over the EVO because I have an ipod dock on my home theater system....

which one is the better bet?....I don't know if the 4S is worth it for me to spend another $100 based on faster speeds and 1080p recording....as long as it works well when I browse and text then I couldn't care less...unless someone has something compelling to say in favor of 4G over 3G then I am all ears...

TIA for your feedback...

I am in the market for getting a cell phone again and don't know anything about any of these phones....I'm not sure if I care about the difference between 3G and 4G and only really would choose an iphone over the EVO because I have an ipod dock on my home theater system....

If your home theater system has a 1/8" input jack you can go out of the headphones jack of any phone. So you can focus on other features to make your choice.

I have the Samsung Galaxy S2 and I'd take that over the reviews I read on the HTC EVO I read a few months back. Nothing comes to mind this instant but I think the hardware was better on the Samsung GS2. Just something to think about. I've never been much of an Apple fan, but I'm sure a ton will show up and tell you its wonderful.

4G phones not only get the faster cell tower signal, they (generally) have faster processors so everything runs faster. Personally, I'm waiting for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus which is rumored to be coming to Verizon in the next 2 weeks (or so). Might go with a Motorola Droid Razr if it doesn't live up to expectations.

But of course if you are perfectly fine with 3G speeds now, why spend the extra $$$? I've always heard good things about the EVO. I don't think you can go wrong really.

4G phones not only get the faster cell tower signal, they (generally) have faster processors so everything runs faster. Personally, I'm waiting for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus which is rumored to be coming to Verizon in the next 2 weeks (or so). Might go with a Motorola Droid Razr if it doesn't live up to expectations.

But of course if you are perfectly fine with 3G speeds now, why spend the extra $$$? I've always heard good things about the EVO. I don't think you can go wrong really.

I don't know what 3G means as I haven't had a cell phone in a few years....and the carrier is Sprint...I mean, I could get 3G and not like it...I just know 4G is faster...

but I think that what you said "I don't think you can go wrong, really"....is probably spot on...

You mean the Google Nexus Prime?

Edited by 10g_DBA

I would not consider buying an iPhone 4 over a 4S.

You can't get Siri with the 4. 4S twice as fast and supposedly has done some tweaking to maximize the 3G performance

See, I would go the other way. I just switched from an old Droid to the Iphone 4s. Siri is nice and all but in reality most of what I use the phone for is handled perfectly by the 4. My 4s bogs down some on data retrieval tasks during heavy use just like a 4. There are things I miss about Android (icons for quick dial and turning on/off stuff like bluetooth & wifi) and there are things I like about the iphone like more & better apps, much simpler to figure out where stuff is, etc.

It really depends on how you will be using the phone. If you will mainly use it as a phone and want some apps or games to make it better then Iphone is great and simple and will probably tie in well to your existing music, etc. If you will be using stuff where connection speed makes a difference - browser, youtube, video streaming, etc then you need a 4G phone like the EVO or equivalent (assuming you are in an area that has coverage).

I don't know what 3G means as I haven't had a cell phone in a few years....and the carrier is Sprint...I mean, I could get 3G and not like it...I just know 4G is faster...

but I think that what you said "I don't think you can go wrong, really"....is probably spot on...

3G = 3rd Generation

4G = 4th Generation

It's all similar in concept related to speeds as wireless like a, b, g, n for computers. Except it's 3G instead of b, or 4G instead of n.

I have an HTC Hero, and I like mine. Due for an upgrade. Thinking about the EVO. I'm not into the Apple cult. Pretty happy with my HTC product after I rooted the phone (like "jailbreaking" an iphone).

I was never a big apple guy until I got a ipod for a present. Works great in the gym . . . etc.

Then I got an iphone 4. I had a crapberry, and would never, ever go back. The iphone is simply amazing. I am sure I dont even use a fraction of its capabilities yet, but I am a hugh fan.

I'm biased for the iPhone. Great phone.

On a side note, if you go with the 4S, wait until the next software version comes out. There's a bug with battery drain on the current ios that they've fixed it just hasn't been released to the public yet. Don't let that sway you on not getting one - I've had blackberrys, androids, and a few other crappy smartphones. Iphone has been the best so far IMHO.

I'm biased for the iPhone. Great phone.

On a side note, if you go with the 4S, wait until the next software version comes out. There's a bug with battery drain on the current ios that they've fixed it just hasn't been released to the public yet. Don't let that sway you on not getting one - I've had blackberrys, androids, and a few other crappy smartphones. Iphone has been the best so far IMHO.

I am getting the 4S, is the next software version coming out soon? because I am ordering the phone in a day or two unless the updated? version comes out in a week, I will probably end up with the 4S...

I am getting the 4S, is the next software version coming out soon? because I am ordering the phone in a day or two unless the updated? version comes out in a week, I will probably end up with the 4S...

From what I know, not all phones were affected by the battery drain. The new ios has been released to a few non-developers and I believe also to Apple retailers to address the issue if it comes up. Maybe bring it up to the Apple rep when you get the phone and see what they say?

From what I know, not all phones were affected by the battery drain. The new ios has been released to a few non-developers and I believe also to Apple retailers to address the issue if it comes up. Maybe bring it up to the Apple rep when you get the phone and see what they say?

will do and I just ordered it anyways.....thanks for the heads up though...and I appreciate the feedback I received, this thread has been very helpful...

You mean the Google Nexus Prime?

Just read a bit more on this. I think they are one in the same. Nexus Prime and Galaxy Nexus were simply different names being considered and Galaxy Nexus won.

Being pimped by google now.

Me and my wife got the 4s. Her battery is great and mine drains faster than it should. It's still fine though. Will last through the day with a decent amount of use. I turned off some non-essential stuff and it's a whole lot better now. I think the problem is that everything that uses gps was constantly pinging for location even when it was in sleep mode so that is probably one of the fixes coming out soon. At any rate, I wouldn't wait for the OS update before ordering.

Timely thread for me. Just got told that we are cancelling one of the lines on the family business plan, and it happens to be due for an upgrade, and as no one else wants one right now, I am heading in to Verizon tomorrow to pick out a new phone to use the available upgrade before cancelling the line. Have a blackberry bold right now and was debating the iphone 4 or 4s or looking at what droid phones were available.

Based on this thread, depending on cost difference with the the free upgrade, I'll have to give the iphone 4s heavy consideration.

Timely thread for me. Just got told that we are cancelling one of the lines on the family business plan, and it happens to be due for an upgrade, and as no one else wants one right now, I am heading in to Verizon tomorrow to pick out a new phone to use the available upgrade before cancelling the line. Have a blackberry bold right now and was debating the iphone 4 or 4s or looking at what droid phones were available.

Based on this thread, depending on cost difference with the the free upgrade, I'll have to give the iphone 4s heavy consideration.

Get the 4S, I'll be able to send you free pics of boobs and debauchery again.