[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A question about a resume--should a bowling score of 299 be listed

wiegie

I have an advising meeting with a student today. He just sent me his resume and under "honors and achievements" he listed that he got a 299 in bowling once (in some sort of sanctioned event--not PBA).

Unless you guys give me some reason to tell him otherwise, I am going to strongly advise him to remove that achievement from his resume.

Thoughts?

I have an advising meeting with a student today. He just sent me his resume and under "honors and achievements" he listed that he got a 299 in bowling once (in some sort of sanctioned event--not PBA).

Unless you guys give me some reason to tell him otherwise, I am going to strongly advise him to remove that achievement from his resume.

Thoughts?

Unless he applying for a bowling alley I would remove that and ask him wt* he's thinking

I always have issues figuring out what exactly to put in those areas of a resume. This is what I have in my (somewhat out of date) resume. I don't know if I'd put in a bowling score. Maybe he should put under personal achievements something like, "Participate in various sporting activities" or something like that if he/she insists but I would ax it completely.

PROFESSIONAL ACHIEVEMENTS

• Recipient of Verizon's Ovation Award each year between 1999 and 2009

• Recognized as Verizon Business' subject matter expert in continuity planning for managed hosting division

• Leveraged various government alert systems to developed an all-hazards alert system for each Smart Center in the United States

PERSONAL ACHIEVEMENTS

• Fragile X Syndrome (FXS) Advocate

• Alpha Sigma Lambda National Honor Society (ΑΣΛ Tau Chapter)

• Maintain a 3.71 GPA at University of Maryland University College

• Dean's List 2007 - Present

• Successfully lobbied senior United States Senator from Maryland Barbara Mikulski for Fragile X Syndrome agenda for advocacy day in Washington DC

Having that on there actually does more to show a LACK of legitimate achivements than if he had just left it blank. Or else have him follow it up with "I once did a keg stand for over a full minute".

So I guess listing all of my fantasy football championships is out of the question?

Edited by electricrelish

well, I just met with the student for 45 minutes. He is much less of an idiot than his resume would indicate. I sent him off to career services so that they can work on his resume with him.

Did you conclude your meeting with this line?

Cus if ya did, it wuld be hughlarious...

Nobody checks that stuff any way - I usually put that I was a pro linebacker for the New Orleans Saints from 97-00, won the CMH (posthumous) and dove into the ocean during Hurricane Andrew to save a drowning child.

Nobody checks that stuff any way - I usually put that I was a pro linebacker for the New Orleans Saints from 97-00, won the CMH (posthumous) and dove into the ocean during Hurricane Andrew to save a drowning child.

With all due respect, in your line of work all any bosses are really concerned about is that you can mow, edge and trim in less than an hour.

Very common practice as I've seen it to have an "Other" section that serves as a catch-all for interesting talking points...I certainly think it would warrant inclusion there. I have a friend that works for a pretty presitgous consulting firm and lists "Winning contestant on the Price is Right" as a discussion point.