[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

On to Alanta

SLAYER

If I recall correctly when Texas and Ohio State decided to play a home and home series it worked out pretty good for both those schools the year they won. Also LSU beating Virginia Tech that year was probably what put them in the BCS NC game.

Those type OOC games are certainy a risk/reward game aka Virginia Tech likely lost a spot that year cause of LSU game. So if it boils down to two teams a signature OOC game goes a long way. Bama's was t Penn State who did Oklahoma State beat?

The unfortunate part about having two threads that have essentially morphed into the exact same argument is that it's not as easy for me to quote where I said OK St's "big" OOC win is even worse than Bama's. That's not the point.

The point is that too many teams schedule teams they think will look OK on their resume but are games they should win. And that's because of your idiotic "the regular season is the play-off". If there was simply a play-off, then there'd be less reason to put together pretend resumes. We might get more teams scheduling like LSU did this year because losing once won't put them at the mercy of the computers.

And LSU picking Va Tech is a perfect example. Va Tech hasn't been a really good team of some time. But they're always going to be top 10 because they feast on the ACC. So, they get beat early by someone looking to pad their resume, then win 10 of their next 11 games against conference schedule that is a joke, and, next thing you know, the team that played them early has win vs a top 10 team. I'd guess there's a waiting list for that match-up.

The Texas/OSU home and home was legit. That's why I said "not just one or two". Though it bears mention that the Texas team that OSU beat on their way to the title game was a shell of the the National Championship team from the year before. Of course, however, you can't blame OSU for that. Given the amount of lead time involved, you can't imagine anyone schedules either of those teams and assumes it's going to be an easy out.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you really think a playoff would not cause the same kind of second guessing. Unless of course you are proposing what college & the NBA basketball do and take just about any half deserving team. And even if you did take just a handful I can already predict the second guessing on seeding would cause debate.

Do you really think a playoff would not cause the same kind of second guessing. Unless of course you are proposing what college & the NBA basketball do and take just about any half deserving team. And even if you did take just a handful I can already predict the second guessing on seeding would cause debate.

The NCAA hoops tourney has shown us that people will always complain regardless of how many you include. However, the more you include the less basis the whiners who got left out have.

Right now, here's your argument for someone who feels slighted by the system. "Well, I guess you shouldn't have lost that one game or you should play in a bigger conference". Or, in the case of Auburn in '04, "Sorry, sucks for you."

That's it. Now, take it out to 12 teams? And your argument is, "Tell you what, don't lose 3 games and we can talk. Sure, that team lost 3 games as well, but if you lose 2-3 games, then it's out of your hands and you have to hope for the best." That's an argument that resonates a bit more.

As far as seeding, I'd much rather have a situation where some team may get an unfair draw but actually have a shot to prove they deserve a shot at the title than what we have.

• 2 weeks later...