[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Garrett ices his own kicker

buddahj

He only managed to get his team 13 points....against the Arizona Cardinals.......with 10 days to prepare....think about that for a minute.

You wanna heap all kinds of "gutsy" praise on him when he throws for 350 and 3 TDS, you should equally be prepared to scratch your head when all he can muster is 1 TD and a couple FGs against an incompetent opponent.....you know, the same opponent you laughed at when the Eagles lost to them a couple weeks ago.

The irony of this critical December loss by the Cowboys reaches so many different levels....its kinda hard to collect all my thoughts.

I didnt catch the memo about Romo being fully responsible for every point they score on O. I guess Murray and the Oline get a pass. Ill be honest. I had to watch the game on computer as it wasnt on in my local market so my info is second hand but through another account on here I heard there were a fair amount of dropped balls as well.

He put them in position to win. They should have won. It was an ill advised dumb coaching move that caused a fluke loss.

I know it has to sting that Romo has played through the same Injury that has kept Vick out for 2 weeks but the guy does deserve some appreciation from Cowboys fans for gutting it out. Sorry if that bothers you .

A win would have gave some decent separation . With the Giants losing it softened the blow although it still a very bad loss to absorb. I will fully admit that The Giants will trounce them if Dallas doesnt step up their game and the Giants play like they did yesterday

ETA: when i say watch on computer I dont mean a stream I mean just watch updates on cbs

Edited by whomper

Jason Garrett makes Andy Reid look good at clock management and calling timeouts! WOW, that was epically pathetic!!

Bailey: WHY in god's name did you call time out?

Garrett: I just wanted to make sure you had your head in the game for this kick.

Bailey: Are you f ing with me, I just made the damn kick!!

Garrett: Now, calm down son you've got a kick to make here....

Bailey: MOTHER&^%^*$@@!%*GOD&^%$#$@@#

Announcer: :tup: HE MISSED IT! ....SHORT?

:wacko:

I didnt catch the memo about Romo being fully responsible for every point they score on O.

You didn't? it was in the same memo that laid all the Eagles woes at the feet of Vick. I know you read that one....you've chimed in plenty in those threads. You must have missed the paragraph on Romo, and his 8-11 December record :wacko:

I know it has to sting that Romo has played through the same Injury that has kept Vick out for 2 weeks but the guy does deserve some appreciation from Cowboys fans for gutting it out. Sorry if that bothers you .

Actually, it doesn't....I think for some reason you are more obsessed with it than anyone else here at the Huddle :tup:

You didn't? it was in the same memo that laid all the Eagles woes at the feet of Vick. I know you read that one....you've chimed in plenty in those threads. You must have missed the paragraph on Romo, and his 8-11 December record :wacko:

Actually, it doesn't....I think for some reason you are more obsessed with it than anyone else here at the Huddle :tup:

I just like reminding you and I dont lay all of the Eagles woes at Vicks feet, I am just surprised he didnt gut it out with the season on the line. I am very critical of Romo . If he had a classic Romo choke I would be the first to admit it. I just think trying to make yesterday a "Romo chokes again in December " moment is incredibly weak and reaching at its finest. Garret blew the game. Its classic idiotic Cowboy losses . I agree with that. I just cant lay it on Romo because he missed the Time out . They hit the kick from that spot on the field.

I just like reminding you and I dont lay all of the Eagles woes at Vicks feet, I am just surprised he didnt gut it out with the season on the line. I am very critical of Romo . If he had a classic Romo choke I would be the first to admit it. I just think trying to make yesterday a "Romo chokes again in December " moment is incredibly weak and reaching at its finest. Garret blew the game. Its classic idiotic Cowboy losses . I agree with that. I just cant lay it on Romo because he missed the Time out . They hit the kick from that spot on the field.

I don;t think he "choked" yesterday....but I do find it very odd that for a guy with a pretty impressive career winning percentage, he doesn't get it done in December games....8-11. That's rough. Leaders often make sure their teams win.

Look at the patriots yesterday. The Colts put 17 points on the board in the final 20 minutes. But ya know what? It didn't matter. Brady got it done early in the game so it couldn't matter. The Cowboys have the better talent at RB, arguably at WR, equal at TE, have the better defense....yet lost to an equally inferior opponent. All the blame doesn't fall on Romo....but as someone who has been praised as the "gutsy" leader of this team, he deserves more than his share for not putting them in a position where a late FG by the Cardinals wouldn't put the game in jeopardy.

Have a look at the drive-charts from yesterday, and the critical plays that led to punts....i didn't see the game, but here are the drives that stalled just out of FG range, or resulted in FGs rather than TDs:

2-5-ARI46 (12:11) T.Romo pass incomplete deep left to D.Bryant.

3-5-ARI46 (12:05) (Shotgun) T.Romo pass incomplete deep left to K.Ogletree. - result - punt

3-2-ARI36 (7:27) T.Romo pass incomplete short left to J.Phillips (C.Campbell).

4-2-ARI36 (7:21) T.Romo pass incomplete short right to D.Bryant. - result - punt

3-11-ARI36 (2:48) (Shotgun) T.Romo pass short right to D.Bryant to ARZ 35 for 1 yard (P.Peterson). - pass for just a few more yards gets a FG try...instead, punt.

3-13-ARI42 (11:09) (Shotgun) T.Romo sacked at DAL 47 for -11 yards (D.Dockett).- sack resulted in punt rather than a short pass for a FG attempt

3-6-ARI32 (6:00) (Shotgun) T.Romo pass incomplete deep left to F.Jones. - another drive into ARZ territory that ended in a FG

1-10-ARI17 (2:42) (Shotgun) T.Romo sacked at ARZ 24 for -7 yards (O.Schofield). - had to settle for 3 after taking a sack that lost 7 yards.

3-5-50 (10:25) (Shotgun) T.Romo sacked at DAL 44 for -6 yards (C.Haggans). - resulted in a punt.

3-5-ARI48 (4:51) (Shotgun) T.Romo pass short right to J.Phillips to ARZ 44 for 4 yards (R.Marshall). - opted for a short covered receiver that resulted in a punt.

1-10-ARI31 (:08) T.Romo spiked the ball to stop the clock. - failed to call timeout with 20 seconds left that could have enabled 1-2 more plays to be run to ensure a closer FG attempt

2-10-ARI31 (:07) D.Bailey 49 yard field goal is No Good, Short, Center-L.Ladouceur, Holder-M.McBriar.

Like I said, I didn't see the game...maybe there were some breakdowns in pass protection resulting in sacks, or great coverage, or dropped passes...just seems like an awful lot of poor decisions on the edge of scoring range, when all that was needed in a variety of instances was a better decision (and just a few more yards) to get a shot at what proved to be an extra vital FG. Did he hold the ball on any of those attempts a few seconds longer to try to make something happen, rather than take the easier read and pick up 4-5 yards? Did he try to fit the ball into a tight window for the big play, resulting in incompletions, rather than a simpler pass or a scramble that could put points on the board? Not sure since I didn't see....but knowing that, after all those trips into Arizona territory, they only score 3 times....seems mighty surprising that the guy with the ball on every play didn't get it done on all the drives shown above.

Did he hold the ball on any of those attempts a few seconds longer to try to make something happen, rather than take the easier read and pick up 4-5 yards?

ARI was bringing extra guys on EVERY play in the 4th ( may have been longer I only saw most of the 4th) and Dallas could'nt block them. Romo had Felix for a TD in the 4th and Jones never saw the ball. Not sure how/why, but he never saw it

ARI was bringing extra guys on EVERY play in the 4th ( may have been longer I only saw most of the 4th) and Dallas could'nt block them. Romo had Felix for a TD in the 4th and Jones never saw the ball. Not sure how/why, but he never saw it

If you can't beat a blitz, then every defense would blitz every play. There are lots of options....audible to a screen, delayed draw once the ends blow past (like some team in green does alot of with McCoy), quick slants....there is a reason teams don't blitz Brady, Rodgers and Manning every play. They can recognize it, and overcome it.

I'm not going to hang Romo out on the Jones play....but it reality, it was just one of 60+ offensive plays the Cowboys ran. There were plenty of drives in the 1st half and 3rd quarter that stalled just outside FG range, when all it would have taken was an audible/scramble/etc to get them 5-7 yards and in range for 3 points. For some reason, seven such drives ended in incompletes or sacks.

Trust me, we have dealt with it with Vick (and Mcnabb) over the years...defenses that would adapt to their ability to scramble, and make them make the right read. More often than not, they didn't. Its why they are considered by many to be good athletes, but average at best QBs. Romo appears to fit that bill, too.

If you can't beat a blitz, then every defense would blitz every play. There are lots of options....audible to a screen, delayed draw once the ends blow past (like some team in green does alot of with McCoy), quick slants....there is a reason teams don't blitz Brady, Rodgers and Manning every play. They can recognize it, and overcome it.

I'm not going to hang Romo out on the Jones play....but it reality, it was just one of 60+ offensive plays the Cowboys ran. There were plenty of drives in the 1st half and 3rd quarter that stalled just outside FG range, when all it would have taken was an audible/scramble/etc to get them 5-7 yards and in range for 3 points. For some reason, seven such drives ended in incompletes or sacks.

Trust me, we have dealt with it with Vick (and Mcnabb) over the years...defenses that would adapt to their ability to scramble, and make them make the right read. More often than not, they didn't. Its why they are considered by many to be good athletes, but average at best QBs. Romo appears to fit that bill, too.

So it boils down to every game Dallas loses in December from this pt forward, with Romo at QB, it's his fault?

I am pretty shocked to see any comment about Romo as it pertains to yesterday cowboys loss to the Cards

I am no romo fan , especially as a giants Fan but Romo had nothing to do with loss yesterday

To look at what if's and what romo could have done better in the game is silly ...he did enough to get his team in position to win the game and then the coach pulled one of the biggest blunders i have seen in many years by icing his own kicker

again He iced his own kicker ...The blame must go to Garret and his coaching staff

if we start second guessing qb's for what they did not do in a game we can do that every week with every game

its a team game and its a game which coaches can have big effect on outcome ...garrett singlehandedly showed that yesterday

So it boils down to every game Dallas loses in December from this pt forward, with Romo at QB, it's his fault?

Of course not....if they lose 38-35, I think I'd pin a little more of the blame on the defense than on Romo's offense.

But if they lose 16-13, 20-10, 20-7...I think you can generally point to the offensive side of the ball, and the guy who leads it, as the reason the team didn't get it done in the "W" column. Now, if those losses are coupled with three fumbles inside the 5 yard line by the RBs, I think that too mitigates some of the blame.

But in general...yeah, if the offense can only muster 13 points with 10 days to prepare against a 3-8 team...yeah, the guy makes that offense click has to answer some questions.