[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Misanthropes unite

wiegie

dammit, I hate sh|t like this that causes me to rethink some of my opinions:

Secret Santa picks up 3 layaway bills

Paid all but $10 on each of 3 balances

Updated: Tuesday, 06 Dec 2011, 9:50 PM EST

By Dani Carlson

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) - Christmas came early for three families in the Grand Rapids area when a stranger picked up the tab on some Christmas presents.

A stranger who wants to remain anonymous paid the bill on three layaway orders at the K-Mart on Plainfield Avenue NE in Grand Rapids Township.

One of the recipients said that the act of kindness "restored her faith in people."

Mary Chapin put some toys on layaway for her son David yesterday afternoon. She was hoping to pay off the $200 balance the week before Christmas.

Then she got a call.

"They said that someone had paid $180 on my layaway and there was only $10 left," Chapin told 24 Hour News 8 on Tuesday. "I thought it was a joke."

A complete stranger, described only as a woman in her thirties, had taken care of the balance. She didn't leave her name and didn't want a thank you.

The secret Santa left only writing on the receipt: "Happy Holiday from a friend."

"I thank her," said Chapin. "It's the best gift that I ever received -- and it's the gift of believing in people and believing that there's good out there 'cause you don't always see that."

Dannell Goddard met the mystery woman at the layaway desk on Monday night.

"It was really crazy the way she did it. She was so excited and so happy to do it," said Goddard.

Goddard said the good deed is "like bringing hope back."

Out of about 800 layaway orders, the woman picked three random tickets and ended up spending about $500.

Her only requirement was that toys were in the order.

"She had a great heart and I told her that I felt like she had a great heart," said Goddard. "And she said she doesn't want to take appreciation for it. She just felt that she was blessed and she wanted to bless others."

Chapin has her own name for her family's secret Santa:

"An angel for us."

The woman, Chapin said, gave her family a far bigger gift than the toys.

"Even though we're all in the same boat," said Chapin, "Nobody's thinking about anyone else. It's every man for himself. And to have somebody come along behind and just do something that's totally unnecessary but so appreciated -- it just really made a difference."

Chapin was so excited about the mystery woman's gift that she just had to give her son his Legos as an early Christmas present.

I really want to like people, but keep feeling let down by them.

This... I've hated just about everyone I have met at some point.

That even includes a fellow huddler who cock blocked me one night when a girl that I had dated previously came by looking for some action...

I've pretty much gotten to the point where I think everyone in the world is a complete moron and I can't stand being around people that much anymore. I've very cynical about humanity in general these days and somewhat agoraphobic

This

I have seen the worse of people, especially when it comes to how they treat dogs and other animals.

We moved to the country to get away and have some land.

I keep telling my wife I am going to build a turrent on the corner of the house and sit up there with a rfile... a just wait until the time is right...

This

I have seen the worse of people, especially when it comes to how they treat dogs and other animals.

We moved to the country to get away and have some land.

I keep telling my wife I am going to build a turrent on the corner of the house and sit up there with a rfile... a just wait until the time is right...

Make sure you have a second seat up there.