[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

kpholmes

So, this is the 2nd one in a new trilogy and the original link at the top of the thread is to the 1st one in the new trilogy?

Not a trilogy, 2 parter so to speak. The first part is based on 'The Hobbit' while the second one will be based on a collect of writing that Tolken did after the hobbit & LOTRs.

I won't go see it. Never saw the Lord of the Rings either.

I just figure I read these books growing up and again as as adult. I have this picture in my mind of the characters and the story and the scenery that I don't want diluted by the movies.

I guess I prefer to preserve my own interpretations of the story.

I won't go see it. Never saw the Lord of the Rings either.

I just figure I read these books growing up and again as as adult. I have this picture in my mind of the characters and the story and the scenery that I don't want diluted by the movies.

I guess I prefer to preserve my own interpretations of the story.

Yeah... don't recall any romance between Galadriel and Gandalf in the books. :wacko:

In fact, I don't think Galadriel is supposed to be in The Hobbit at all.

Yeah... don't recall any romance between Galadriel and Gandalf in the books. :wacko:

In fact, I don't think Galadriel is supposed to be in The Hobbit at all.

They may be pulling stuff from other sources...or that one may be right out of their asses.

You have to realize that Tolkein was kinda nuts on this - he invented languages, and ANY character or battle or whatever that gets mentioned in LOTR or the Hobbit has a backstory, plus there is stuff that never/barely saw the light of day. There's probably enough stuff out there that they could keep making another 4-5 of these movies, as long as it was profitable, though I don't think a Middle Earth movie that had no direct continuity with LOTR would do very well - then again, it might.

They may be pulling stuff from other sources...or that one may be right out of their asses.

You have to realize that Tolkein was kinda nuts on this - he invented languages, and ANY character or battle or whatever that gets mentioned in LOTR or the Hobbit has a backstory, plus there is stuff that never/barely saw the light of day. There's probably enough stuff out there that they could keep making another 4-5 of these movies, as long as it was profitable, though I don't think a Middle Earth movie that had no direct continuity with LOTR would do very well - then again, it might.

I suppose. It just seems to me that The Hobbit itself is one movie at most. The book really isn't very long.

Dwarves at Bag End, Trolls, Rivendale, Goblins, Gollum, Beorn, Spiders, Wood Elves, the Lonely Mountain, Smaug dies, 5 army battle, Bilbo goes home.

edited to add spoiler just in case you never read the book and don't want to know too much....

Edited by The Irish Doggy

I suppose. It just seems to me that The Hobbit itself is one movie at most. The book really isn't very long. Dwarves at Bag End, Trolls, Rivendale, Goblins, Gollum, Beorn, Spiders, Wood Elves, the Lonely Mountain, Smaug dies, 5 army battle, Bilbo goes home.

I think it's probably a LONG movie, but yeah, it could be a single movie - again, the point I was making was that there is PLENTY of back-story to fill things out if they want to make it 2 movies.