[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

kpholmes

I would rather they make 2 "legit" movies vs trying to crunch it all into 1 and therefore possibly losing or just brushing over stuff. IMO LOTR should have been more than 3.

The extended editions were much better of course, but I thought they did an excellent job overall. With the exception of the 79 endings to the RotK movie....

Is there more to the "middle earth" story after the end of LOTR?

...honestly, I've not read a single one of the books...

I've not read the books, from from talking to people that are really into them I;d say yes, there is more, just as there is a hugh amount of Star Wars story out there beyond the original 3 movies and the newer 3 that Lucas did.

LOTR really represents the end of Tolkien's universe; the third age of middle earth I believe. Tolkien has written more about the first and second ages.

I won't go see it. Never saw the Lord of the Rings either.

I just figure I read these books growing up and again as as adult. I have this picture in my mind of the characters and the story and the scenery that I don't want diluted by the movies.

I guess I prefer to preserve my own interpretations of the story.

The extended version is quite satisfying.

Yes, tons, like BC and Chavez have indicated. Tolkien did what many sci-fi/fantasy writers do now - world building. Where they create a universe/planet/scenes with history and mythology that are only referenced and/or summarized in the main novels - not fully fleshed out. Tolkien mentions Dwarven/Goblin wars, Gandalph adventures to the South, and all sorts of other events in The Hobbit, but never really goes into detail. Just says something like "But that is not part of our story here".

The Hobbit is sort of a prequel. One sub-plot in the book tells the story of how Bilbo Baggins came into possession of the "One Ring" that Frodo has to destroy later, but the main story is a quest for dragon treasure and the events along the way.

The extended editions were much better of course, but I thought they did an excellent job overall. With the exception of the 79 endings to the RotK movie....

??? on the endings-?

I thought they were well done but even as long as they were, I had this feeling of so much being crammed in. I know 3 movies was the logical choice and 6 too impractical, but it shoulda been. Really it's about 4 or 5 movies' worth but how do you break that up?

??? on the endings-?

I thought they were well done but even as long as they were, I had this feeling of so much being crammed in. I know 3 movies was the logical choice and 6 too impractical, but it shoulda been. Really it's about 4 or 5 movies' worth but how do you break that up?

The extended version runs about 12 hours.

I would rather they make 2 "legit" movies vs trying to crunch it all into 1 and therefore possibly losing or just brushing over stuff. IMO LOTR should have been more than 3.

This:

The extended version runs about 12 hours.

If you're a super-:wacko: like me when it comes to Tolkein, the extended editions are very satisfying and in total, runs roughly 12 hours.

Not including the 20 hours of addicting "making of" and interview footage.

agreed. and tolken has enough stuff in print for many more films. Simarillion, like billay said, would be a great movie.

Simarillion could be broken up into several movies. Beren and Luthien would in itself be a great movie.

I've not read the books, from from talking to people that are really into them I;d say yes, there is more...

Yes, tons, like BC and Chavez have indicated. Tolkien did what many sci-fi/fantasy writers do now - world building. Where they create a universe/planet/scenes with history and mythology that are only referenced and/or summarized in the main novels - not fully fleshed out. Tolkien mentions Dwarven/Goblin wars, Gandalph adventures to the South, and all sorts of other events in The Hobbit, but never really goes into detail. Just says something like "But that is not part of our story here".

I think billay was actually correct - there's a LOT of stuff pre-Hobbit/LOTR, but I don't know that he wrote too much stuff about AFTER the fall of Sauron. The only thing I can recall from somewhere is a mention of Gimli and Legolas having many adventures (which wouldn't be the worst movie, if given to a talented filmmaker). As Doggy says, all that pre-LOTR stuff is building a world for LOTR to take place in.

I won't go see it. Never saw the Lord of the Rings either.

I just figure I read these books growing up and again as as adult. I have this picture in my mind of the characters and the story and the scenery that I don't want diluted by the movies.

I guess I prefer to preserve my own interpretations of the story.

I've read the books probably 5 times each and have seen the movies maybe 20 times each. Whenever I'm channel surfing and I come across one, that's where I stay. The movies are by far my favorite movies of all time and it's not close. I think they did a great job creating what my mind had envisioned.

I've read the books probably 5 times each and have seen the movies maybe 20 times each. Whenever I'm channel surfing and I come across one, that's where I stay. The movies are by far my favorite movies of all time and it's not close. I think they did a great job creating what my mind had envisioned.

+1

Its straight from the books.

Yes and no. The Scouring of the Shire was completely removed which would have been cool.

What I'm getting at really and apparently failing to articulate is I thought the use of fade outs was excessive leading to the appearance of multiple endings. I'm objecting to the style rather than the content.

watch them all back-to-back a couple years ago. Awesome.

I saw each of the LotR movies at a midnight viewing on Christmas night. The 79 endings in RotK were painful.