[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Week 17 Players who may sit

Scooby's Hubby

Is there any chatter from NFL teams/coaches out there that indicate usual starters that may be sitting or get part time play? Of course, teams that are in meaningful games will play, but I am generally speaking of the guys who are on teams that have nothing to play for.

Please post any news that you may have concerning these week 17 situations. TIA.

check the Vegas lines for an indication....

Detroit is favored by 3.5 over Green Bay (in Green Bay)

Tennessee is favored by 3 over Houston (in Houston)

These suggest starters sitting for sure.

Saints are favored by 9 at home vs. Carolina

Atlanta -12 vs. Tampa

SF- 10.5 vs. Rams

These suggest business as usual

Everything else looks as it should....

Can't see why he would. Isn't the game as meaningless to Detroit as it is to Green Bay......or can Atlanta catch Detroit for fifth seed?

Yes, Atlanta holds the tie-breaker for the 5th seed, and could take it with a Detroit loss. I just don't see that happening.... It may be a division rivalry, but I don't think there's any way Rodgers stays in longer than a quarter or 2 just to stay in rhythm... As for Stafford, that means he's more likely to play this whole game to improve their seeding... Only way I can see GB really giving them a fight is if it's worth risking injury to increase the chance they play Detroit rather than Atlanta in the 2nd round of the playoffs (again, I don't see that a likely)...

There had been chatter that the Saints could sit Brees and players, but they play at the same time as SF, who could allow them to take the 2nd seed and bye with a loss, and a win by the Saints.... That situation is a little risky, because one would think the Saints will look at whether they're beating the lowly Rams by a good enough margin at half-time and probably evaluate from there.

Edited by delusions of granduer

It stinks that the Lions play at 1 PM and the Falcons game was moved to 4:15 because NBC took the NYG/DAL game from FOX for SNF. Both of these games should be played at the same time to avoid the chance of a meaningless game (the Falcons game becomes meaningless if DET wins). Too bad the NFL can't stand up to TV.

The vegas lines are fine now, but they may change drastically on Sunday as the final scores come in.

One league Scooby and I are in (and it happens to be the most expensive) awards 40% of the pot to the team with the most points through Week 17. We are currently 4 points behind. It could be anyone's game b/c of the sit or part time factor. You bet I am going to be watching every piece of pre-game I can.

Any news yall can provide is very appreciated. I don;t want to turn this into an advice thread, but rather something any owner in Week 17 still playing could use.

If Stafford doesn't play, I'm screwed. Of course I could always plug in Tebow in a game that will mean something. :wacko:

Why wouldn't he play? With ATL not playing until 4 O' clock, the only sure way to land the 5th seed and play one of the weaker NFC East teams (though as I said in the Lions playoff thread, I think he still plays regardless of opponent, with position to play for), is for them to win the game versus a division rival.

Him sitting when they get an insurmountable lead at the end of the game is a possibility, but I can't imagine him going out without them putting up enough scores first.

Why wouldn't he play? With ATL not playing until 4 O' clock, the only sure way to land the 5th seed and play one of the weaker NFC East teams (though as I said in the Lions playoff thread, I think he still plays regardless of opponent, with position to play for), is for them to win the game versus a division rival.

Him sitting when they get an insurmountable lead at the end of the game is a possibility, but I can't imagine him going out without them putting up enough scores first.

I guess I worded that wrong. I just hope he doesn't sit the 2nd half.

AFAIK only Houston and GB are locked into their actual spots and have a reason to sit startes (of teams in or contending for playoffs).

This may help for those wondering about playoff scenarios

NFL.com playoff picture

The way the schedule was laid out for week 17 tries to insure that the maximum number of teams are playing with full effort in the final week. (Unless you believe teams are tanking for higher draft picks.) I see NavinRJohson's post about DET & ATL playing at different times and see that is the only issue with the schedule.

AFAIK only Houston and GB are locked into their actual spots and have a reason to sit startes (of teams in or contending for playoffs).

This may help for those wondering about playoff scenarios

NFL.com playoff picture

The way the schedule was laid out for week 17 tries to insure that the maximum number of teams are playing with full effort in the final week. (Unless you believe teams are tanking for higher draft picks.) I see NavinRJohson's post about DET & ATL playing at different times and see that is the only issue with the schedule.

My opponent for the chip is hurting at WR and RB so I went ahead and picked up Cobbs and Saine just to piss him off.

My opponent for the chip is hurting at WR and RB so I went ahead and picked up Cobbs and Saine just to piss him off.

Good idea if your league rules allow it, and you have the roster space.

But surely there's 5-10 other guys that will produce similar stats as those 2. Its not like the DET defense blows and they won't be trying.

Brady is only 190 yards behind Brees for the yardage record. I think Payton will make sure Brees plays long enough to ensure that Brady can't pass him.

besides that the Saints & 49ers play at the same time- so NO has to make sure they win in case the Rams can pull an upset and knock SF out of that #2 seed......Saints are going to play to win until the game is well in hand.

Fitzpatrick vs. Pats- the Patriots are an opposing fantasy QB's wet dream and have been all year....

Fitzpatrick has been spectacularly awful ever since the new contract. I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been more mention of just how bad he's been.

besides that the Saints & 49ers play at the same time- so NO has to make sure they win in case the Rams can pull an upset and knock SF out of that #2 seed......Saints are going to play to win until the game is well in hand.

Yeah, but if the 49ers are up big at halftime it wouldn't surprise me if Payton checked out Brady and Brees yardage totals before deciding whether to pull Brees. The record meant enough to keep Brees in on Monday, he doesn't want to lose it a week later.

Some of this may be injury related, like Big Ben or Andre Johnson ... I have never been a fan of sitting a guy before you won the game that day. EX: Would GB really sit Aaron Rodgers in a tight game vs. the Lions?, but on the flip side don;t you want your back up to get a few snaps and trott on out there just to shake any jitters there could be? Maybe get him with the 1st team OL with 8 minutes left in the game or something?

Disclosure, Rodgers is not on any fantasy team I drafted this year.

Edited by Scooby's Hubby